Shigefusa help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i sold almost all of my stainless as soon as i got my first carbon gyuto (i kep the FH just because i like the knife a lot). it takes very little to keep carbon working properly.

Same here, I still have some really nice stainless knives, but so many of my knives over the years have moved to carbon, the vast majority actually

Anyone know how the fuji compares/contrasts to the shig? Dunno much about white 1 other then that Carter prefers it. I would deff get the handle replaced tho

The Fujiwara white 1 is a very nice steel in terms of ease of sharpening. It also holds it's edge pretty well. I have a 210 suji I use mainly for meat trimming, etc. against a poly board. These knives are on the thick side but they are thin where it counts making them excellent cutters, otherwise. I haven't used mine lately for anything other than shaving. It can take a mind-blowing edge so damn easy.

Looks interesting, rustic. Can't seem to find heiji, sold out on the one site.

Yeah. They are definitely not lookers and fit and finish isn't the best either. I wouldn't say they have defects but the guy clearly makes no nonesense knives that love to cut. As for Heiji, I know Jon is planning to have some in stock for his grand opening in a couple of weeks. The Heiji semistainless steel is probably my favorite all around steel just ahead of the KonHD/TKC. It's a nice heftier gyuto although it is not chunky, imo. I'm getting a petty as soon as they become available. I never thought I'd drop that kind of cash on a petty but there you go.

Yeah. They are definitely not lookers and fit and finish isn't the best either. I wouldn't say they have defects but the guy clearly makes no nonesense knives that love to cut. As for Heiji, I know Jon is planning to have some in stock for his grand opening in a couple of weeks. The Heiji semistainless steel is probably my favorite all around steel just ahead of the KonHD/TKC. It's a nice heftier gyuto although it is not chunky, imo. I'm getting a petty as soon as they become available. I never thought I'd drop that kind of cash on a petty but there you go.

a couple of weeks makes it sound so soon... you're scaring me here... i still have furniture to buy ;)

I made clam chowder tonight from fresh dug Pacific razor clams. Used my 180mm Shigefusa for my utility blade. Mostly it diced up boiled potatoes, peeled an onion, diced a couple of stalks of celery and diced the clams in to small pieces. I don't stop cooking to clean my knives as the dish is what I'm interested in not the tools used to make it. Once the chowder was about ready I went back to the knife and found the surface of the cladding metal pretty much all reddish orange with stain. The actual cutting edge metal was still very clean.
I can live with that but it doesn't look like it is going to patina into anything very attractive using my normal kitchen SOP.

The thin where it counts is EXACTLY what made me think this is a knife to use. I love the looks, but that's just me!
Shigis and Heijis aren't exactly waifs either.

The thin where it counts is EXACTLY what made me think this is a knife to use. I love the looks, but that's just me!
Shigis and Heijis aren't exactly waifs either.

but the geometry of Shigefusa is top notch and that makes huge difference.

I agree based on their reputation. I really haven't read anything negative about their grind, geometry or taper. I thought perhaps the one I mentioned might compare fairly reasonably.

If you are talking about Heiji, it is mighty as can be but I find that the grind is so awesome that its nimble and sharp as hell. It definitely has cutting power. I've really been using mine a lot at work recently and it stays sharp forever. Every once in a while I touch it up on a Chosera 5k and I strop often and it just comes back to life. Really awesome stuff.

i will deff be checking out the heiji, unless some beautiful western comes along in the mean time, or I get pulled in by the carter cktg knife. I just don't think i'll be crazy about the handle on the Carter, but we'll see. Eitherway it'll keep it's resale value just in case

Im going to do a blind test on several friends. Im not sure but I keep believe that a cucumber or tomato taste different when I use my Shigefusa Nakiri compared to a stainless knife .)

I love Shigefusa, but if anyone could get him to make a stainless knife I would be on that list :)

I think the blind test has been done for decades/centuries in Japan.
If a high carbon knife makes smell the food every food in a Kaiseki restaurant would smell bad.

If you take care of the knife like a Kaiseki chef you do not have any problems.

Latest posts

Back