shigfusa kitaeji polising

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting thin scratches that show up with the light reflection
That might be the case. im not sure what your using?

Yes, tell us what you've used so far.

What about if I use cotton ball with synthetic stone slurry? I am thinking Rika 5k then Hakka slurry, then finger stone.

That sounds fine, or at least it wouldn't do any harm. If I remember, your hakka is more on the coarser side (I could be wrong). However, slurry can break down and be fine and finer too. I have uchigumori fingers and also a large size that I can polish on, and - without checking - I'm not sure if you used uchigumori that it would be much finer than hakka, although it wouldn't be coarser. Are you talking about using uchigumore fingerstones?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you don't want to use a high grit to bring out the pattern. I think it's better to use softer stone like a Uchigumori since it will bring out the pattern better but not as shiny. Higher grits will polish it but the damascus pattern gets less visible.

What stones are those? Mr Razor Magnus might be right that those are harder, but hard to tell. Experiment with your Hakka slurry and technique, I say, and see how close you can get to what you want. If needed try other stuff. My feeling is that one of the big advantages of Shig knives is it's relatively easy to preserve their finish, so I think you can work it out.

I think the small black one is a Uchigomori.

Tried again last night. Much better.

In maxium vid. I think he polished to hazy finish then used finger stone to bring pattern back. I want to get a video of my results or something and see what you guys think. I still got real tiny scratches but they are much finer than before want to check again in the light of day.

These are the fine lines I was talking about. Not sure what next

Oh oh .. you have scratched this beauty. It is not good anymore, call Mert. He will take it off your hands at a deep discount.

Basically, too coarse stone or too hard stone as far as I can see. And your stroke is not quite straight. A longer, lighter stroke would help keeping finish nice. Invest in proper uchigumori finger stone for best result.

Oh oh .. you have scratched this beauty. It is not good anymore, call Mert. He will take it off your hands at a deep discount.

Basically, too coarse stone or too hard stone as far as I can see. And your stroke is not quite straight. A longer, lighter stroke would help keeping finish nice. Invest in proper uchigumori finger stone for best result.
My heart just sank when I read the first sentence. :(
I am planning to get a fingerstone as soon as I can.
will throw out this one I think. Kitchen paper with slurry? Can I use Rika slurry?

As a few people have mentioned, the softest natural will work best unless you want to become an apprentice sword polisher. The book I have on this subject shows sword polishers using a dozen different stones with specific techniques. Some hard stones but then they make them paper thin, back them with special paper, and blah blah. Even Maxim said somewhere that for a knife, which will inevitably get scratched again, a soft stone is appropriate and more forgiving. Have you tried the takashima? If I use this stone, I will even use flitz in between treatments. The first couple of uses will maintain the contrast but make everything a little brighter. I think I would find the right soft stone and work over a period of time to remove the scratches or else you will drive yourself nuts. The ketaeji has scratches to begin with that run parallel and also sometimes look like white streaks. These too will come out over time. A 270 gyuto right?

240 gyuto. I am already little nuts. Happy to spend a few hours on this. Just not sure of techniques and material. Need to complete maxim reading and vids and try again. Getting a sword polishing book as well.

Rami i got a Uchigomori stone if u dont find anything closer, i can knock off a piece for you brother for the shipping cost. just send a pm

DSC03453_zps17520f3a.jpg

Some stones and especially synthetics will mute the Kitaeji so that it isn't necessarily a good thing. You can always re-etch it afterwards, but better to use a proper stone / slurry to bring out the damascus.

I have. Will be following instructions. Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything. Is it ok to use small pieces or should I prepare them as the video?

Follow the video. Prepping the fingerstones is essential in not scratching up your knife.

fun thread cant wait to see the update

i hope to see you have your clouds back

Saw a marked improvement. Will send photos tonight. Not all the way there yet. I flattend a small piece and used it without backing. Would that be a no-no?

To anyone interested here is the latest Fairly happy with the results.

Back