Shipping to Canada

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc2442

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I live in the states and normally buy things where there are no shipping charges. I sent a could of knives to JLA and was surprised by the duty charged. Any way to avoid or reduced this cost?

Who did you ship with? UPS is the absolute worst for fees. Like $70 service fees for a $5 duty they've charged me before, and more than once. USPS appears to be the lowest overall.

It was UPS, prirateship had the rate really low. The fees they charged were crazy tho. I think going forward I am more comfortable buying for our neighbor to the north.

Sadly that sounds about right for them. USPS has lower service charges by a lot, they're probably 75% lower.

For coming into Canada, UPS Standards fee is based in part on the declared value. UPS Expedited fee is something like $10 or $20 flat fee. Those are the fee that UPS charges to take the charge. Taxes will be charge at our provincial rates of the destination, and our gift exemption is only $80.

USPS/Canada Post can be a better choice as it in my experience it has been variable on whether they examine and charge taxes on the inbound shipment (but that was during covid mostly, so don't know about now). Last I paid them it was $10 for the brokerage.

DHL will charge $20 for the brokerage fee. FedEx just charged me $12.

I would really like it to be less complicated to send things to each other. I actually received a package filled with lots of good things from @ethompson and we were brainstorming on how to avoid fees. He insured his package if I'm not mistaken with a third party. I did not have to pay any fees.

I have already sent knives to the United States more than once with an insured value of $1000 and the customer sometimes paid a fee and sometimes not. 🤷‍♂️

At least to compensate a little for the amount paid by @mc2442 I will not charge for the removal of the old handle and for the installation of the handles on the two knives. It's a pleasure to offer it to you because I feel bad for this situation. But since I have to make a living from my passion, I admit that it would be much simpler not to have to pay exorbitant customs fees and adjusting the way I charge my work.

I will look closely to see if there are any tips that will be added here 👀

UPS is a scam unless you use one of their higher services. There is no transparency up front about what the brokerage charges can be. I sent a $230 usd stone to Julien to try out and he got hit with these fees. :(

1706568144482.png

I would really like it to be less complicated to send things to each other. I actually received a package filled with lots of good things from @ethompson and we were brainstorming on how to avoid fees. He insured his package if I'm not mistaken with a third party. I did not have to pay any fees.

I have already sent knives to the United States more than once with an insured value of $1000 and the customer sometimes paid a fee and sometimes not. 🤷‍♂️

At least to compensate a little for the amount paid by @mc2442 I will not charge for the removal of the old handle and for the installation of the handles on the two knives. It's a pleasure to offer it to you because I feel bad for this situation. But since I have to make a living from my passion, I admit that it would be much simpler not to have to pay exorbitant customs fees and adjusting the way I charge my work.

I will look closely to see if there are any tips that will be added here 👀

Not sure where you are in your province, but it may be worthwhile looking at self brokerage on inbound parcels. I haven't done it, but at least the brokerage fees can be avoided.

I sent a $230 usd stone to Julien to try out and he got hit with these fees.
Yes, that was a nasty surprise! I have never paid so many fees on a shipment from the United States with such a low declared value. It's expensive to try a Venev! 😂

But it's really nice of you @Tekkz to loan me your stone and as we said no stress with the costs, I'll take it on 🙂

Not sure where you are in your province, but it may be worthwhile looking at self brokerage on inbound parcels. I haven't done it, but at least the brokerage fees can be avoided.
I'm from Quebec! Thanks for the advice and for the charter you sent from UPS. From what I see I think it's definitely worth taking the Express package instead of standard to avoid customs clearance fees... That's good to know!

Apparently DHL makes it somewhat easy to self clear.
https://mydhl.express.dhl/ca/en/forms/self-clearance.html
The issue with self clearing, as far as i'm aware, is it's only really available at certain locations. While there are a lot of CBSA locations, only certain ones allow you to self clear packages, so it's not really an option for some of us. Also, you have to go do it in person which is a total nightmare

Last edited:
The issue with self clearing, as far as i'm aware, is it's only really available at certain locations. While their are a lot of CBSA locations, only certain ones allow you to self clear packages, so it's not really an option for some of us up north. Also, you have to go do it in person which is a total nightmare
+1 for this. I had a package to pick up in Montreal which was the only drop off point. So that means it's 40 minutes of travel just to get to their office. 🫠

I'm in Toronto. The nearest office is Pearson. I'd be lucky if I can get there in 40
Likewise, and **** going all the way to Pearson. At the end of the day, border shenannigans really influence where/what i buy from abroad. Ending up paying 150% is just too much for me

Circling back after some research. First let me caveat for liability reasons - my input here should not be considered legal or tax advice. It seems that Canada allows temporary importation under tariff item No. 9993.00.00. According to CBSA's website below:

"Generally, all goods being imported temporarily, as long as they are not being imported for sale, for lease, or for further manufacturing or processing, will qualify for customs duty-free entry under tariff item No. 9993.00.00." https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d8/d8-1-1-eng.html

Now, I think the key here is whether knife re-handle service is considered "repair" or "further manufacturing or processing." If it is considered repair, I think it should be good to go. No tax under No. 9993.00.00. If it is considered further manufacturing or processing, it may still qualify for duty free under the D7-4-1, Duties Relief Program and / or D7-4-2, Duty Drawback Program. The links below have details about how to apply for those two programs.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d7/d7-4-1-eng.html
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d7/d7-4-2-eng.html

I believe when exporting to the States, anything less than $800 in value will avoid duties.

Fed Ex is better than UPS I think.

It may help to declare a lower value for the item when shipping. ;)
Not really because I cannot declare $100 but buying an insurance of $800, for example. If the package is lost or something we need the real value of the knife in order to make a complaint.

Not really because I cannot declare $100 but buying an insurance of $800, for example. If the package is lost or something we need the real value of the knife in order to make a complaint.
I’ve enquired about this with a certain popular, nautical-themed, US-based shipping software company. They obviously wouldn’t condone it, but suggested that their 3rd-party insurance almost certainly wouldn’t verify the duty declared value against the insured amount.

I'm pretty experienced with importing stuff into Canada, and sending stuff to the US.

Some things to know. Please keep in mind this is all just off the top of my head and based on personal experience. Actual rates and prices are just from memory.

Every parcel being imported into Canada is subject to normal provincial sales tax of the receiver's province. For me, in BC, it's 12%. Even if a parcel is marked as a gift, the exemption is a $20 limit. Any dollar amount over $20 will be taxed at the normal provincial rates. This is simply a sales tax which would otherwise be paid at checkout.

Different couriers charge different clearance fees. These fees are what they charge you for filling out and submitting clearance paperwork on your behalf (unless you can go to a CBSA office in person and submit them yourself, which is largely location dependent).

Using USPS/Canada Post while importing into Canada means that your parcel(s) are handed over to CBSA and need to be processed by them before being handed over to Canada Post for final delivery. You have a roughly 50/50 chance of having duties/taxes charged on your parcel. My last 10+ shipments from outside of Canada have gone through the border with absolutely no charges, even on some worth close to $1k. The 10+ before that were all charged as normal. The downside to this is that your parcel can become stuck at the border for an inordinate amount of time waiting for CBSA to get to your parcel, and if charged, the CBSA charges you a $12 or so clearance fee on top of tax anyway.

UPS Ground, and FedEx Ground charge obscene clearance fees. Avoid if possible. $65+ clearance fees on top of normal sales tax, etc, is normal. I bought $200 worth of kydex and supplies, which was a heavy/bulky parcel shipped FedEx Ground, and I ended up paying $120 fees which they billed me through snail mail a month later.

UPS Express, FedEx Express and DHL Express usually charge clearance fees in the neighborhood of $10-$20 on top of normal taxes. The benefit of this service is that your parcel(s) will fly through the border in record time, unless individually selected by CBSA for a deeper inspection of the contents. I've never had a parcel selected for closer inspection, and all of my parcels through any of these couriers have gotten through the border in minutes or an hour or two, as compared to the potential weeks long wait through the post. I've come to consider the clearance fees part of the shipping costs, and the fee for getting it through the border so fast with no further hassle.

UPS (both ground and express) has regularly delivered parcels in absolutely abysmal condition. Like, boxes entirely flattened and torn open. Thankfully no damaged or missing contents (somehow).

FedEx Ground charges insanely high clearance fees and the parcels usually show up in less than stellar condition. I will avoid this service if possible.

FedEx Express has been good. Decent clearance fees, decent parcel condition on average with some exceptions.

DHL has been the only courier which has consistently delivered parcels in excellent condition. Clearance fees tend to be a little higher at around $18 CAD per parcel, but the peace of mind is worth it to me. Their online clearance fee notification and payment system is also the best of the four, in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope that helps!

Last edited:
I’ve enquired about this with a certain popular, nautical-themed, US-based shipping software company. They obviously wouldn’t condone it, but suggested that their 3rd-party insurance almost certainly wouldn’t verify the duty declared value against the insured amount.
Having had the unfortunate pleasure of navigating this scenario twice - they dont

I'm pretty experienced with importing stuff into Canada, and sending stuff to the US.

Some things to know. Please keep in mind this is all just off the top of my head and based on personal experience. Actual rates and prices are just from memory.

Every parcel being imported into Canada is subject to normal provincial sales tax of the receiver's province. For me, in BC, it's 12%. Even if a parcel is marked as a gift, the exemption is a $20 limit. Any dollar amount over $20 will be taxed at the normal provincial rates. This is simply a sales tax which would otherwise be paid at checkout.

Different couriers charge different clearance fees. These fees are what they charge you for filling out and submitting clearance paperwork on your behalf (unless you can go to a CBSA office in person and submit them yourself, which islargely location dependent).

Using USPS/Canada Post while importing into Canada means that your parcel(s) are handed over to CBSA and need to be processed by them before being handed over to Canada Post for final delivery. You have a roughly 50/50 chance of having duties/taxes charged on your parcel. My last 10+ shipments from outside of Canada have gone through the border with absolutely no charges, even on some worth close to $1k. The 10+ before that were all charged as normal. The downside to this is that your parcel can become stuck at the border for an inordinate amount of time waiting for CBSA to get to your parcel, and if charged, the CBSA charges you a $12 or so clearance fee on top of tax anyway.

UPS Ground, and FedEx Ground charge obscene clearance fees. Avoid if possible. $65+ clearance fees on top of normal sales tax, etc, is normal. I bought $200 worth of kydex and supplies, which was a heavy/bulky parcel shipped FedEx Ground, and I ended up paying $120 fees which they billed me through snail mail a month later.

UPS Express, FedEx Express and DHL Express usually charge clearance fees in the neighborhood of $10-$20 on top of normal taxes. The benefit of this service is that your parcel(s) will fly through the border in record time, unless individually selected by CBSA for a deeper inspection of the contents. I've never had a parcel selected for closer inspection, and all of my parcels through any of these couriers have gotten through the border in minutes or an hour or two, as compared to the potential weeks long wait through the post. I've come to consider the clearance fees part of the shipping costs, and the fee for getting it through the border so fast with no further hassle.

UPS (both ground and express) has regularly delivered parcels in absolutely abysmal condition. Like, boxes entirely flattened and torn open. Thankfully no damaged or missing contents (somehow).

FedEx Ground charges insanely high clearance fees and the parcels usually show up in less than stellar condition. I will avoid this service if possible.

FedEx Express has been good. Decent clearance fees, decent parcel condition on average with some exceptions.

DHL has been the only courier which has consistently delivered parcels in excellent condition. Clearance fees tend to be a little higher at around $18 CAD per parcel, but the peace of mind is worth it to me. Their online clearance fee notification and payment system is also the best of the four, in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope that helps!
Awesome write up man. A lot helpful insights. Have the packages you sent and received mostly been sales and purchases? In Julien’s case, he’s running a service shop in QC. He sharpens, polishes (and sometimes rehandle) knives the clients send him with the intention to re-export the knives back out of Canada to the original senders. I wonder if there is an efficient way to process temporary importation claims. Based on my research above, temporary importation should not be subject to import duties and sales tax since Julien is not the end user of the goods.

Awesome write up man. A lot helpful insights. Have the packages you sent and received mostly been sales and purchases? In Julien’s case, he’s running a service shop in QC. He sharpens, polishes (and sometimes rehandle) knives the clients send him with the intention to re-export the knives back out of Canada to the original senders. I wonder if there is an efficient way to process temporary importation claims. Based on my research above, temporary importation should not be subject to import duties and sales tax since Julien is not the end user of the goods.

I would say the majority were either sales/purchases, with plenty of gifts sent to and from friends and family and also trades. I've been pretty active in the outdoor scene for a long time, and gear gets passed around a lot. I'm a bit newer to the kitchen cutlery world.

I'm a bit of a hobbyist maker myself and have struggled with that same situation. People wanting to send my own work back to me for spa treatments, or additional work such as sheaths or sharpening/polishing. Getting hit with import taxes on something I made myself is... interesting to say the least.

I know that on Canada Post custom forms, there's a section on the "reason for export" area titled something like "warranty or maintenance", which assumes that the item being exported will be worked on under warranty or similar and sent back with no further funds being exchanged for the item itself. USPS (and the various couriers) should have something similar to that, even if it's a case of checking the "other" box for the reason for export, and writing "warranty repair" etc by hand.

Last edited:
I would say the majority were either sales/purchases, with plenty of gifts sent to and from friends and family and also trades. I've been pretty active in the outdoor scene for a long time, and gear gets passed around a lot. I'm a bit newer to the kitchen cutlery world.

I'm a bit of a hobbyist maker myself and have struggled with that same situation. People wanting to send my own work back to me for spa treatments, or additional work such as sheaths or sharpening/polishing. Getting hit with import taxes on something I made myself is... interesting to say the least.

I know that on Canada Post custom forms, there's a section on the "reason for export" area titled something like "warranty or maintenance", which assumes that the item being exported will be worked on under warranty or similar and sent back with no further funds being exchanged for the item itself. USPS (and the various couriers) should have something similar to that, even if it's a case of checking the "other" box for the reason for export, and writing "warranty repair" etc by hand.
Probably worth a try.

Back