Shipping to Sweden from US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If anyone has tips on the most economical way to get a package to Sweden please PM me or let me know.
Just back from UPS and was not pleased with the quote they gave me.

I used pirateship on Saturday for NYC to Denmark. $72 with UPS worldwide expedite and signature requirement. I did use a tube and they charged me extra for using irregular package…
Did they charge you after-the-fact? If so, call their number and dispute it. They tried to pull the same stunt with me within the U.S.

Not sure what you meant with this bro. I provided data points based on my best knowledge and thought the data points could be helpful to @labor of love . Regarding the UPS cost, I paid for it myself and have receipt. In the case of postnord, it was the amount I was charged by the seller. If you have another data points, maybe just share?

Thanks man. I’ll look into it.
Tubes caused extra charges for me too with FedEx. I tried arguing with them on the few occasions when they charged me extra after the fact for tubes domestically. In my case they didn't refund me, explaining that because tubes role their sorting system can't deal with them and so humans have to be involved. I just stopped using tubes with UPS or FedEx, USPS doesn't seem to have the same limitation. Worth a shot trying to get some of your money back though, maybe UPS is different.

I sent a Heiji to Denmark at the end of last year, and UPS Worldwide Expedited from the PNW was ~$50 (edit: double checked and it was actually more like ~$75!) insured through Pirateship.

Tubes do have an upcharge. The pro move would be to ship a tube inside a standard rectangular box, but I don't think most of us have many sets of those sitting around.

Last edited:
I sent a Heiji to Denmark at the end of last year, and UPS Worldwide Expedited from the PNW was ~$50 insured through Pirateship.

Tubes do have an upcharge. The pro move would be to ship a tube inside a standard rectangular box, but I don't think most of us have many sets of those sitting around.
I do now! I literally ordered 50 brand new knife boxes because I got tired of trying to recycle and find appropriate boxes…

IMG_9345.png

I do now! I literally ordered 50 brand new knife boxes because I got tired of trying to recycle and find appropriate boxes…

View attachment 310752
Wow, do those include a tube that fits inside the rectangular box?

Lately what I've been doing is using standard rectangular boxes, but reinforcing it with a second layer of cardboard fitted tightly to its interior walls. That strengthens the package quite significantly against crushing, which is the primary advantage of the tube shape.

I believe usps is your most economical option. The couriers without having a account can be quite absurd 😅

No Hue and Cry as USPS Effectively Eliminates Mailing Tubes for Many -  EcommerceBytes

When's a tube not a tube? When its one of these. Best, most secure way to ship a knife safely. No surcharges either. Anyone know how another carrier classifies these?

Not sure what you meant with this bro. I provided data points based on my best knowledge and thought the data points could be helpful to @labor of love . Regarding the UPS cost, I paid for it myself and have receipt. In the case of postnord, it was the amount I was charged by the seller. If you have another data points, maybe just share?

nothing to share. wrote something that didn't really add to the thread.

if being honsest, or buying commercial: x1,5 of original value in tax and handling will be added for the reciever.

View attachment 310957

When's a tube not a tube? When its one of these. Best, most secure way to ship a knife safely. No surcharges either. Anyone know how another carrier classifies these?
Many do. But one can also tape on some cardboard flats on the outside of tubes also, just stopping them from rolling seems to be what they want

Back