D. Martell Shop Upgrades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey i have one of those
BTW dave any thing you want me to bring out your way other then the 7 knives

Nothing too special, I would have preferred a vintage press but with time pressing down on me I bought new, got a 15" Porter cable floor model. Just got it put together and went to mount up my cross vise and found out it's not even close on the bolt patterns so now I've got to screw with that. Nothing is ever easy!

Did the old one burn up because you were using it too dry and/or too fast?

Nothing too special, I would have preferred a vintage press but with time pressing down on me I bought new, got a 15" Porter cable floor model. Just got it put together and went to mount up my cross vise and found out it's not even close on the bolt patterns so now I've got to screw with that. Nothing is ever easy!
\
Dave can you move the old table over to the new press?

Did the old one burn up because you were using it too dry and/or too fast?

The motor is pre-1940's with no capacitors. The drill press is 1920's with single speed full throttle only capability. I think drilling through all of those hardened tangs took it's toll on the old girl.

I just found this and ordered it. I think it'll be exactly what I need.

g1162.jpg

g1162_det2.jpg

Dave -- any metal fab shops out your way? I would think someone with the right equipment could cut, weld and drill an adapter like that for you.

That may be what I have to do unless I just grab a hunk of aluminum and fab something up myself. The key thing is it being parallel in thickness.

Metal fab shops typically have lots of scraps in different thicknesses, so chances are scoring a plate in adequate thickness will be pretty easy. Might be best to drive to one or two shops and talk to them. If nothing else, you might score the material and be on your own for the fab work in order to get it up and running as quickly as possible.

On a more positive note I just mounted up a pyrocerm plate to the platen on my grinder and it looks promising for speed at least. Looks like more work is done with less effort. I did see some blue static sparks though. I guess time will tell if I stick with this or not.

Metal fab shops typically have lots of scraps in different thicknesses, so chances are scoring a plate in adequate thickness will be pretty easy. Might be best to drive to one or two shops and talk to them. If nothing else, you might score the material and be on your own for the fab work in order to get it up and running as quickly as possible.

I have a great (maybe the greatest ever) local industrial scrap yard in town here that I'm thinking of hitting up tomorrow. This place has just about anything a person could wish for in just about any configuration plus they've got a warehouse full of drill presses and machine shop equipment to mull over. There's bound to be something I can make work.

Man, you should have gone for a vintage Bridgeport instead.

M

dave jsut wait till winter to really see how shocking that glass platten can be

We are all still waiting for pics, Dave.....Or it didn't happen :p

Problem fixed. I picked up a 3/4" thick billet of aluminum from the local scrapyard (for $6) and made a riser block for the vise. I used the drill press to drill the holes in the riser and it went through like butta! I think this should work out alright. :)

P1010003.JPG

p1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

did you tram the table and then the X and Y

It's all close enough for a drill press. :D

Seriously though these cross vises pretty much suck for accuracy but they're great for convenience, hell I bet I couldn't even make a straight line of holes with this thing. I just use it for quick holding and alignment. If I ever upgrade I'll go with an X-Y table and a simple quick release vise.

I see a couple of anvils there. Is that what you mean by anvil fetish? You know, they go to a tiny minute size paperweight. :biggrin:

Had another wee set back yesterday and today. Had a small fire start in my dust collector. Seems that belt fuzz, sparks, and plastic don't play well together. I got a HUGE hole burnt through the plastic pick-up hood behind the grinder, an 8" section of flex-hose burnt through, and the bench got scorched as well. This happened when the Blaze 60x belt fuzz piled up in the intake and ignited and was fanned on by the rushing air. I smelled the burning plastic, stopped to see what was burning, started tearing the system down and before I could figure it out the damage was done.

Today I removed the grinder from the bench, fabbed a new stainless intake bucket, and added stainless tubing down to the sucker. I'm not sure if this is enough though since the real problem exists from the belt fuzz. If I ground vertical I would just shoot it into a bucket of water but since I grind horizontal this isn't as easy an option. If it persists I'll just have to figure out a way to blast it downward into a bucket.

Truly an adventure! Don't let it get you down, though. It's all part of perfecting your system:thumbsup:

Back