Show me your racks!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two storage solutions… I have one more cleaver coming soon and then I’ll have just one more spot to fill 😌 the middle magnet bar spans the length of the doorframe and I got that one off Etsy, the other ones are from eating tools.
IMG_4607.jpeg
IMG_4044.jpeg

Redesigned and started construction on the new knife wall in my kitchen. Two magnetic bar racks, two shelves, and one horizontal storage Japanese inspired rack for my Japanese knives. Busted out my curliest wurliest walnut for the project. Fun doing something nice and simple like this for a change. Just need to buy about $150 of magnets now 😅

IMG_3426.jpeg

Redesigned and started construction on the new knife wall in my kitchen. Two magnetic bar racks, two shelves, and one horizontal storage Japanese inspired rack for my Japanese knives. Busted out my curliest wurliest walnut for the project. Fun doing something nice and simple like this for a change. Just need to buy about $150 of magnets now 😅

View attachment 306352
I sure wish I had the skills to do this kind of work, looking forward to the finished product.

Here we go - @SimenTh gets it! Handles are all straight, knives are (relatively) evenly spaced and all facing the same direction, and wow all are aligned at the heel with the rack. Well done sir!
The spacing bothers me a lot 😂 Noyer's magnets won't allow me to place the knives exactly where I want before becoming slightly unstable, but they are arranged by length. Appreciate a fellow OCD'er 🙏

Good progress has been made on the new racks. My main focus was on the japanese rack. I was gonna go out and just buy walnut dowel. but I decided I was feeling ambitious and instead turned the dowels myself on the lathe. It's a fun challenge trying to get a really consistent diameter on a long length like this. It's essentially like turning a french rolling pin, except the much thinner diameter makes it a lot harder. I managed to get two 16" dowels made which I cut into 1 1/2" pieces. Drilled some matching half inch holes in the racks to accept the dowels. I then used a standard drill bit to extend those holes all the way through to the other side. What I'm going to do is screw through those holes to attach the rack to the wall. Then I'll cover the screws with the half inch dowels... if that makes sense. Basically the hole goes all the way through, but the half inch hole only goes halfway. Then drilled some bigger 3/4" holes on the back, stopping 1/8" short of the front surface. This is where I put the disk magnets to hold the knives against the rack. The magnets are positioned one inch above the dowels which is roughly where the centre of the blade would be when resting on the dowels. Also the pic with the knives is before the holes were drilled for the dowels. I just sat them on top to figure out the spacing and know exactly where I wanted the magnets. The magnets are only on the left side where the blade will be in contact with the rack and not the right side where its just the handle touching it. Also I made a mistake on the right one and drilled some holes all the way through from back to front because I go myself all turned around. Easiest thing to do in this situation is actually to make the hole larger so that you can plug it effectively. Looking not so bad I think. I took a couple videos that I'll try to attach in another post too.

IMG_3432.jpg
IMG_3502.jpg
IMG_3431.jpg
IMG_3435.jpg
IMG_3448.jpg
IMG_3449.jpg
IMG_3452.jpg

Got the first couple coats of finish on them and I'm pretty happy so far! Oh and here's a vid of the magnets going in. I put them in a metal cup as having metal or another magnet behind a magnet, increases it's pulling power drastically.

IMG_3466.jpg

Aight, that's it for my racks in progress today. Tomorrow I'll probably finish off the shelves, then it's onto the actually magnetic racks. Just waiting on 80 bar magnets to arrive for that!

Got the first couple coats of finish on them and I'm pretty happy so far! Oh and here's a vid of the magnets going in. I put them in a metal cup as having metal or another magnet behind a magnet, increases it's pulling power drastically.

View attachment 307047

View attachment 307048

Aight, that's it for my racks in progress today. Tomorrow I'll probably finish off the shelves, then it's onto the actually magnetic racks. Just waiting on 80 bar magnets to arrive for that!
How are you going place the magnets on the knife rack? Nice to be able to place the the knives freely. Looks good so far!

How are you going place the magnets on the knife rack? Nice to be able to place the the knives freely. Looks good so far!
Thank you! For the racks I am going to router in two grooves and insert bar magnets in. So there will be two rows of magnets in each rack. I prefer the bar magnet rows because you get a consistent amount of pull anywhere down the length of the rack. It’s WAY easier to drill holes and put in disc magnets, but then you have spots of magnetism and it starts to affect where you can hang knives. I’ll be doing this today or tomorrow so I’ll get a pic of it up shortly!

Thank you! For the racks I am going to router in two grooves and insert bar magnets in. So there will be two rows of magnets in each rack. I prefer the bar magnet rows because you get a consistent amount of pull anywhere down the length of the rack. It’s WAY easier to drill holes and put in disc magnets, but then you have spots of magnetism and it starts to affect where you can hang knives. I’ll be doing this today or tomorrow so I’ll get a pic of it up shortly!
Sounds like a solid game plan, if I can offer you my two cents, once this is done I'd be careful when putting knives back up there. Since the magnets aren't spaced and there's consistent pull throughout the entire board, you could find yourself not paying attention and the magnet sucks in the the knife so it collides with a knife on either side. So really line that sucker up before you bring it close to the magnet. Can't wait to see the final result!

Back