Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning wrought iron clad Apex Ultra from Harbeer @HSC /// Knives
IMG_20240401_163817_216.jpg
IMG_20240401_163817_270.jpg
IMG_20240401_163817_395.jpg
IMG_20240401_163817_154.jpg
IMG_20240401_163817_118.jpg

What's the core steel? If you have more than one type of core steel, which is your favorite? Enjoy!
The core on this one is Wolfram Special. The cores on my other Lucids are Sheffcut and 26c3. I wanted to try different steels, so I intentionally bought knives with different steels. I haven't sharpened any of them and tbh, these amateur hands cannot tell the difference so far. But to be fair, I haven't used them a whole lot as I've got too many knives on rotation right now šŸ¤£

The core on this one is Wolfram Special. The cores on my other Lucids are Sheffcut and 26c3. I wanted to try different steels, so I intentionally bought knives with different steels. I haven't sharpened any of them and tbh, these amateur hands cannot tell the difference so far. But to be fair, I haven't used them a whole lot as I've got too many knives on rotation right now šŸ¤£
Wolfram is really good stuff

Recently picked up a Tetsujin Blue#2 Kasumi Kiritsuke Gyuto 240mm from another member of the forum at a screaming deal. Been wanting one for a while and when I saw it I just had to grab it. Taihei Rosewood handle with a beautiful cream colored buffalo horn ferrule, absolutely beautiful in my opinion.
uBHlhF2.jpeg

JkyfgPJ.jpeg

8Yo36TZ.jpeg

9FXgihk.jpeg

frwuVMM.jpeg

2xUvncd.jpeg

My first proper cleaver, Kisuke Manaka Blue #2 Cleaver. Just in time for ARM (April Rectangle Month)

Thanks @Alpine.knifeworks for selling/shipping.

Hoping that this prevents me buying that Watanabe Cleaver with the hidious coloured handle.

HNNNG, I've been eyeing one of these for a few weeks now. Please someone give me the strength to resist spending any more money.

Recently picked up a Tetsujin Blue#2 Kasumi Kiritsuke Gyuto 240mm from another member of the forum at a screaming deal. Been wanting one for a while and when I saw it I just had to grab it. Taihei Rosewood handle with a beautiful cream colored buffalo horn ferrule, absolutely beautiful in my opinion.
View attachment 312324
View attachment 312325
View attachment 312326
View attachment 312327
View attachment 312328
View attachment 312329
Awesome, these Tetsujin's are really good value for money in my book.

Don't be put off if it seems a little draggy at first, it tends to go away once you build up a patina on the cladding.

@Seemore I was looking at one of these in the larger version. What do you think of it? I heard the OOTB edge was not good, but sharpened up nicely. Crap fit and finish is expected at the price, but looks like it could be fun for learning projects like rounding choil, spine, etc.

Edit: KasumiJLA posted about this knife in another thread recently.

Awesome, these Tetsujin's are really good value for money in my book.

Don't be put off if it seems a little draggy at first, it tends to go away once you build up a patina on the cladding.
Stupidly thin they ghost through everything but I find them to be carrot magnets šŸ˜…šŸ˜¬

@Seemore I was looking at one of these in the larger version. What do you think of it? I heard the OOTB edge was not good, but sharpened up nicely. Crap fit and finish is expected at the price, but looks like it could be fun for learning projects like rounding choil, spine, etc.

Edit: KasumiJLA posted about this knife in another thread recently.
OOTB it was just about a zero bevel. (After a couple of quick test cuts, I looked with a 12 X loupe, and I couldnā€™t find any trace of a secondary.) Once back and forth on each side with a BBW gave me a very nice edge. Iā€™ll know more after using it awhile.
My rack is filled with this level of F&F: Munetoshi, Murata, Mikami, and Iā€™m putting an Okubo aside to work with this new knife for awhile. So Iā€™m a bad one to ask. I find none of these ā€œsub-standardā€, considering how nice they are to cook with and to maintain; but I donā€™t have a knife in my hand 6-7 hours a day.
Regarding the Yosimitu, the blade is straight, it sits squarely in the handle, and is very well sealed in the plastic ferrule. It has a very minor recurve just forward of the heel. The cherry handle/ferrule combo is certainly no frills, but comfortable. I will probably eventually change it. The choil is eased, the spine is not, but will be. Of course I canā€™t speak yet about the hardness of the Shirogami 2 core or longevity of the edge.
Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve reached your maximum word count. In a short answer to your question, yes, it would be an excellent candidate for learning different modifications and maintenance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back