Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you like that handle, Rick? Heavy?

The knife weighs in right at 250 grams, so it is no lightweight, but it doesn't feel like a heavy knife. The balance point is about an inch ahead of the ferrule. The handle looks as if it might be unwieldy, but it isn't. I place it on par with the Western handle I have from Mert.

The knife weighs in right at 250 grams, so it is no lightweight, but it doesn't feel like a heavy knife. The balance point is about an inch ahead of the ferrule. The handle looks as if it might be unwieldy, but it isn't. I place it on par with the Western handle I have from Mert.

I was gonna ask how the handle was. Sorta looks like a cross between Mert's and a Rader.

A Catcheside with western handle, very nice Rick.

Catcheside 22 cm 1.2442 san mai gyuto

Stabilized alder burl and koa front and back, with brass ferrule and end cap.

View attachment 32303View attachment 32302
View attachment 32298View attachment 32299
View attachment 32301View attachment 32300

Will's description:
Length blade - 220mm
height - 48mm
Thickness entering handle - 5.3mm
Thickness spine over heel - 4.3mm
Thickness spine 10mm from tip 1.2mm
All forged taper and geometry, the forging is slightly asymmetrical right hand bias, release is slightly more to the right, works so very nicely ground and hand /stone finished compound bevel.
1.2442 core knocking on the door of 66 hrc.....Cuts like a delicate beast, zero flex and falls through everything with a very nice sensation of RH biased release.
Man thats a sexy beast!! I wana order one myself soon. Congrats!

Toshihiro Wakui Kasumi with yew handle installed by me

M8Uq42z.jpg

Kick ass suji there. Makes me so jelly. Good thing mine is coming from Robin at the end of the month.

The initial handle was a burnt chestnut with a plastic ferule.
To be honest I expected the balance point to move more. 171g vs 159g.

The main thing is it looks so much better

Nice install, how do you like the yew vs regular ho/magnolia wood v

I thought that was a giant garasuki. I signed up for a haburn custom today.... Now all i need to do is wait till sept 2017 :'( dear haburn if you see this know I am waiting, always ready. :knife: I am knife. Seriously though thsts a cool knife, love the essentric nature of the hamon.

His demand has definitely gone up dramatically.. I have a Nakiri due this month and the wait was just over 6 months. Now it's over a year

New to me 9" Foster Brothers. 165mm Yoshikane I've had for years for perspective.

1466462984023.jpg

New to me 9" Foster Brothers. 165mm Yoshikane I've had for years for perspective.

Love that yoshikane. Aside from just loving yoshi works across the board and the 2 that I own I rarely see other pieces I don't like.

Details on the cleaver? how did you come by it? I've never seen a bone cleaver from them around. What's the steel? Super cool [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

His demand has definitely gone up dramatically.. I have a Nakiri due this month and the wait was just over 6 months. Now it's over a year

Was a couple of months for me as well. Maybe 6-7. Fit and finish is outstanding. Didn't have time to really cut with it, aside from some Virgin paper.

Knife is a looker for sure, love it. Very happy that Ian kept digging to find the Type of Ironwood I liked!

Love that yoshikane. Aside from just loving yoshi works across the board and the 2 that I own I rarely see other pieces I don't like.

Details on the cleaver? how did you come by it? I've never seen a bone cleaver from them around. What's the steel? Super cool [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Maxim was selling them a couple years back.

Just a quick poor quality photo of a recent addition.

plP9enZ.jpg

This just arrived earlier today, no words can describe my excitement right now!

Huge thanks to Maksim for providing the knife and Dan for making the handle and saya!!

White #2, handle by Dan (ironwood), from Max like BS said. He had a few with a KU finish, think this was the only he had that was Kasumi. It's awesome.

Im almost totally desensitized to seeing shigs in this thread at this point lol

Here's a better quality pic if the Dan Prendergast k-tip.

E1wUlOp.jpg

My first Ku " shigefusa Kurouchi 165mm wa Santoku " just arrived last week from JNS.
3.jpg

with 40 yrs old yanagiba

4.jpg

but the same person who made.

6.jpg

White #2, handle by Dan (ironwood), from Max like BS said. He had a few with a KU finish, think this was the only he had that was Kasumi. It's awesome.

It was KU... somewere in the middle of the handle making I slipped really bad with a rasp and had to strip the KU. :pirate1:

This looks awesome, J. Congratulations. How do you like the handle? PM if me if you could for your finding.

This just arrived earlier today, no words can describe my excitement right now!

Huge thanks to Maksim for providing the knife and Dan for making the handle and saya!!

Back