Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts on the FKK? Their steak knives look pretty cool

Some of my latest purchases from left to right:
Arcos birds beak, bernal cutlerys butchering /boning knife, tristone blades petty (best petty I've ever handled), 180 mm togiharu gyuto, shun kiritsuke dual core, fkk 220 gyuto, saki takayuki syousin sakura 240 gyuto, misono dragon 270 slicer

@strumke the fkk is nice, their handles are great and the feel of the knife is good. Not my favorite profile and steel but the heat treatment is great and edge retention is also good. The maker himself is a good friend and an amazing guy. They've just come out with a new line with carbon knives and some really good heat treatment from what I've heard. His steak knives on the other hand are mind blowing, he made a few custom sets for some really great restaurants and they look and feel amazing compared to just about any other steak knife I've held. (Maybe except the customs from Japanese makers, but I haven't handled any of those so I don't really know)

And thank you mucho bocho

I thought I was done with high end damascus claddings. My Takayuki Ginsan Damascus got some ugly marks on the cladding from a bad sharpening session. My Shigefusa Kitaeji had an unfortunate rust incident leaving scratches when it was cleaned up. I mean, it takes so little to screw up all that bling. Rustic knives are easier to maintain, because when you scratch them up they just look better, imo.

But then Maxim had to bring in those Yoshikane SLD knives... :) Compared to my Yoshikane Shirogami #2, the SLD Damascus is the big brother, but it's thinner with a bit stickier grind it seems. Also, it needs a new edge.

Some pictures, the last one with its little brother.

Not a new buy, but a reunion after quite a while. Seems to have lost some weight.

OaRHOpr.jpg

How does this baby cut now? How was it before?

How does this baby cut now? How was it before?
I think it's a pretty solid improvement over its earlier performance, but it's not really my cup of tea personally. I'll probably run a nakiri sale sometime with this and a few others.

Finally had time to get a handle on a Dalman petty blade I got last month. I want to thank Robin for the professional service and a great looking blade[emoji4] it was really fun getting everything to put a knife together off this forum(blade and wood for the handle).

https://flic.kr/p/N1ha4X

https://flic.kr/p/MXfEfL

Just got a package from Maxim, right for the Thanksgiving (Canada). JNS 1000 and Itinomonn 180 KU Santoku. Perfect timing!

w9jc3yc.jpg

5mGkqra.jpg

QFM8sx9.jpg

Also got one from there!
Zqtpu7hh.jpg

First impressions are its a beast. I was expecting a hefty knife but its more than that, very blade heavy. If the 210 was in stock I would've gone for that instead.
Not very sharp OOTB but the edge seems like it has a nice HT and feels nice still. I'll probably touch it up on the stones to see how much sharper it gets.
All I've done with it is take it out of the box though so more thoughts later.

DSC_0197_1.jpg

I received an extremely generous gift from my father's friend/old business partner. He has traveled to Japan many times and has a pretty nice Japanese knife collection. I commented on the Suji of the same line that he had recently purchased and he offered to give me a knife as a gift. I was shocked when I received all three of these knives! They are all Sakai Takayuki Ginsan. 270 gyuto, 180 santoku and 150 petty. They are incredibly beautiful knives and the fit and finish is great. The handles are beautiful and pictures do not do them justice. It is interesting, the kanji looks stamped on the gyuto and the santoku, but hand chiseled on the petty...

So far I've tried them out making some beef stew, cutting up some root veggies and a chuck roast, diced some onions and made an apple crisp - trying out all three knives. So far they are awesome. That 270 is a beast of a knife to what I am used to though! I am very excited to put them to good use.

Got this classic mizuno blue 2 240mm gyuto recently, and now I do understand why so many people praise about it. For me it has that feeling nice factor, a good convex grind that does the job, not too light, not too heavy, good heel height @48mm for a typical Sakai 240, relatively thin tip despite practically no distal taper at the spine, rounded and smoothed spine and choil.

This one has a very decently polish, much better than a previous mizuno yanagi I bought a long time ago. I have been quite happy and enjoying using it.

xiZosxMTrYn0kUG7YVOZD_BJn8e7X4sCKVYciP_sQw8DmxRmQMI5RtuKTXvVnizg5iGIw9gaBC4png117olCEh_iw4-AjAcm38A2_WDEqzR9paXh7dsswyEZaYa9_YCDa3HwM2Jaw4VoE_aTP-RKBjmkBpd6_MrhXgKwsYtgrPnR42dhn_CyWCzCzSPHCkBgeJJBoIDGxTbqZEp_MkGmmTcA5vzMzlMHqmCSUd58K0LeLJdtMdSbpU_tOVeso5SNWHCKnh8KbH97dSHUAREsISDU7aEYaJJEfKu3ividYlm2q_QP77cRSA8xViXwvbYQbFj2lEybwfXYJI4XVRNw_UZcx8Q72AumAFD4Oi2a4aDB7F_psdFykYxK056qU3bP7xFtfpox4-0I5dc-JGPPyvmUMBk6z693bUvEq3c3KdSEe1BHPr6_MkXFoO3DXMrKR3a28mpgOYSSn6p8PZizomq6jCGvbGxOftyOLxjcTlyIkPHDT7gsg0Zp9j01Gd8pn9nMEQnC-ZDQliWPtnYuv2tusM9CQ3WyaZIP0qTOQbrX9KeWkh7LFtOjrMa938mEqxW5LZLRtqeXuvHZh75dN44IfEdbec7K-vuqthWYujfOEFbaSQ=s1280

tT5XdLrNYmdYw0MhHXL5u5Qp1PTBzRMj8BYEuAsgs03IO60MLLw6BaCBYmxp-JnatOTExSz9bqteRvPCRPLYQgmY3zABo56fRah9_pj2vnK4KX6Yvq2AE-YtPdr1A9MMvazo442XLVuDNYnehFVXvnYj9VfD9MCTspgCMuJgp3qCngUv6ZJ0MV8MEEMQKEid_YMcI2k2AE1eB6s6miieALKIz3VaNk-8Z-VgMZGXP06Z0E61wTddjd7XUu8eiXdZhmRUw4FmzL857vGOCHNE4hN-Jn3fkWPOtwI9hmQrqrhHoj9UkUn4qRZX-XjF1oeUW_frjVEyYL9jG-ZADq7J0opjhVIIKD5ehwmVmouzgZbMldfE-SsUNdW8Mc8IpgfOtcj9cGBMx5x_OQ8v1DD1LbWGHGVpCEoj5TCrhR7rZvVDvvbuYlYdzVgTFJ_qHJNcJ7DLRGP2UuyTQFzgWPn0irR97Rc3uh6j_Er1WeC0Ldb5I_OiM5IE63aj7L8qFC3vzcdk6b9nEoU1LS4yuSk0KV19W93xAyQFBAgJ136j2C9jpynnJ4gbR2PU9tgfFyDVUdUhXBHVoTOU8fSOfkwTm_RjLAUAWARl2nSqcC8FoFayv9aBRw=s1280

7dfejeIdsDIgR4hp6vdLHrUHYzWeu-QRQx9wZdF1hacMDnclqSJWMYfDIn9hpkfqQtajQS3el89Va0vzrLH06aBG5KBxSmdnr9IBJgT5vNVSXiS2zjPuAsn8SMFBqqyZuwzTzE8-m49e0PXa4eOK_WUhoeerNzTUMgaYVsa-koruin5NWCQuVtBkVTyr8xgcWO8egWqMSd_nXoNWaGgJDeUWJn7YVB8u0lSf1LIYNikCgW80DjRJ0wQsuoEAxDanQvlJiE0hdCUnRf3VQZnhl6RK5pdFkrjAP5Z2ntRb8VUvEO1iiQMiJya_iZf6j30xrQrQgs-w-1b3BeXlf9eTZvNfkCcqzuKo1eUBBgh4NN37Ng7dR9-vaVztv6EOPP9G3hzqEghCnaxQAsy42VSCV6kLV7-EQuTDkS0OCXyBBQwjHAzsNgWunpegW8mVBF3Xr_rdvYFMNWCTy94RePb8g2CVUuTRBbvUMJn57PZ0pVe2dGHFBYbHrY35m3Kt_jf7KmAGzpgcNnu8buvLjMpiHYDrbs5sCSMuwnIz_ebS394ygUOu-B58P0NzflXpv4NlhXzc6T6tYJ5V1jfx5IWKtFHtxm3W-iRmrBuw82KPpi5KxMdrSQ=s1280

This arrived today: 230mm Shigefusa suminagashi chukabocho (goku-usu, or extra thin). I ordered it six years ago! :)

5xtZ98H.jpg

y0NEFaz.jpg

zh4NHXx.jpg

whNfbsN.jpg

Oh man oh man! Thats one hell of a blade! Six years well spent :D

Congrats, Markenki. There was another kitaeji chukka looked exactly alike on Japan-tool a couple of weeks ago too.

Thanks, folks! I did order this from So, so maybe the photo on japan-tool was of this knife. It was one of two that So received recently. The other one belongs to another member of this forum. ;-)

Back