Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirotsugu Damascus Kiridashi knife by Miki city smith 廣貢 墨流し 切出し小刀 21mm​

Place/地域: Banshu Miki・播州三木打刃物
Steel/鋼: Blue steel・青紙鋼
Jigane/地金: Kitaechi・鍛地
Full length/全長: about 205mm
Blade length/刃幅: about 48mm
Width/幅: about 21mm
Thickness/厚み:about 5mm

IMG_1072.jpeg
IMG_1073.jpeg

W2 honyaki from Rob Trimarchi of The 9. I made a chimichuri inspired herb salsa with it and it flew threw everything. A true laser in every sense with a little flex.

Attachments

• 20230513_125923.jpg
    20230513_125923.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230513_125911.jpg
    20230513_125911.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230513_125859.jpg
    20230513_125859.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230513_125843.jpg
    20230513_125843.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230513_125755.jpg
    20230513_125755.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Replacing a stolen Tojiro 190 mm deba with this: Goh Umanosuke Yoshiro Aogasumi B2HC-M Blue 2 Steel 195 mm w/ Magnolia Wood Handle.
Good for fileting some nice 33" SF Bay halibuts.View attachment 242838View attachment 242839View attachment 242840
Just noticed an engraved line perpendicular to the column of characters. Is this part of the character string, or did the engraver slip? If it's the latter, then it's a defect in the finish. Anyone else know for sure? Maybe I'm being too anal.

Attachments

• IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3004.JPG
    IMG_3004.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Just noticed an engraved line perpendicular to the column of characters. Is this part of the character string, or did the engraver slip? If it's the latter, then it's a defect in the finish. Anyone else know for sure? Maybe I'm being too anal.
It's part of the kanji '造'.

Kanji looks the same on the Yanagi’s in this line. So my initial assumption is its fine

Unless I misunderstood this. Which line are you talking about?

82AF3898-F705-4DF4-88A7-8F39F4170867.jpeg
The kanji has the same line in a few of these - stock photo from hocho knife

Thanks, you guys. I've never seen that. Still a gremmie.
Whatever the line is, IMHO it detracts from the Kanji. I suspect that the Kanji is CNC generated, and it didn't terminate properly at the end of the engraving sequence.
Whatever, it doesn't affect the cutting. I think it's a blemish.

Just got a reply from Hocho/Yoshihiro. The line is part of the Kanji. Trying to find out what it means. Don't read characters in any language.
There are 7 characters, 郷右馬允義弘造, the line is part of the last character, which means made by what's before that character. The first 6 characters is the name of the brand.

@Byphy Glad that RDG went to a good home. I was eyeing the sh*t out of that one myself. I am intrigued by the line knife idea. A pro chef can chime in, but I imagine it is pretty awesome for all things not chopping veg? Portioning proteins and garnish? It seems like it would complement a 240-270 gyuto or a 180 nakiri really well. Ryan was the first person I saw use the name, but I have now seen it in a few other places. Are they common in fancy kitchens?

@Byphy Glad that RDG went to a good home. I was eyeing the sh*t out of that one myself. I am intrigued by the line knife idea. A pro chef can chime in, but I imagine it is pretty awesome for all things not chopping veg? Portioning proteins and garnish? It seems like it would complement a 240-270 gyuto or a 180 nakiri really well. Ryan was the first person I saw use the name, but I have now seen it in a few other places. Are they common in fancy kitchens?
For me it was awesome bc it was convenient to use during service in a tight space. But then I just started to prefer the profile, so thats what I use at home the most 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back