Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was your last stone? Could be that the last stone uncovered scratches from an earlier stone that were hidden by a less fine finish.
A soft shobudani
And juste before a Rika, it is on this stone that scratches appears more than the previous one.

You have some scratches that are rather coarse still left, you'll need to start from at least 800 grit to work them all out (if that's the goal). Never fall into the trap of thinking the next stone will finish removing a scratch - it never works out. Just be patient and climb up the grits alternating scratch patterns slightly as you go. Check your scratches often.

You've got great geometry / shape based on that mirrored reflection - make sure you keep that as you go!
Yeah i know that i have to be patient. But i took my time before climbing to another stone.
I took like more than 1 hour for this result.
I jumped stone when i tought the bevel was even in scratches. I knew at the end that i was too fast with one or 2 of the stones.
Will try to understand more about the process in the future 🙃

Took me about 4 hours to go from 400 grit scratches to this:
View attachment 288817
And it’s far from perfect, plenty of 1500-3k grit scratches lurking beneath the polish. Kasumi takes a lot of time!
lol far from perfect. If I got something like 10% of that I would be floored

Hey gang,

I got a free koppa of suita from a member under a loose handshake deal to make fingerstones and send some back to them.

This was my first time attempting to make fingerstones and I wouldn’t have been near as successful without some consulting via @ethompson and @musicman980 regarding how to cut the stone

Long story short, got a diamond tile cutting bit for my Dremel to do the rough cutting of pieces into squares and rectangles. Did all the cutting over wax paper so I could save as much powder as possible.

Once rough cuts were done, I did chisel cuts to help cut them in half / thin them out

Below are some progression shots. I’m looking to make some small stones but also larger stones to give some variety

Currently still cutting and cleaning up the cut pieces on Atoma 140 and 400 before moving on to a higher grit

Let me know what you guys think

IMG_0997.jpeg

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

72473543777__001837DC-B54B-4D38-AFE5-9785BF924BFA.jpeg

Attachments

• 72420884553__4AA245E2-66D4-44F8-9988-8A9BB0F88688.mov
    21.9 MB
  • IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0998.jpeg
    IMG_0998.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0999.jpeg
    IMG_0999.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Took me about 4 hours to go from 400 grit scratches to this:
View attachment 288817
And it’s far from perfect, plenty of 1500-3k grit scratches lurking beneath the polish. Kasumi takes a lot of time!
Hm, this advice looks familiar to me 😂. Completely true though! The last time I brought a knife through a full progression, I had to go back to the cerax #1000 3 times after finishing on jnat because of some pesky deep scratches that wouldnt come out with my Rika 5k. I wish I had more knives and stones to push my skills some more; getting a scratchless finish from #120 diamond to #1000, then #5000, then Aiiwatani is rough to say the least...

And my latest yanagiba touch-up after some patina formation: basically scratchless as far as I'm concerned!

Do you tape the Kurouchi part to protect it?
You shouldn't have to, but if you find that you occasionally slip and round the shinogi, it's a good idea to protect the kurouchi until you get the feel for how much pressure/speed to use and where. My first Japanese knife bears the scars from my beginner attempts...

Not a kasumi obviously, but relevant to the thread in that this is what I consider to be a properly prepped bevel. 6k scratch pattern that is consistent and reaches from the apex to the shinogi. From here natural stone polishing is pretty straightforward.

When people say “stone ready” this is what I think of.

A few months back I was chatting to @Steve56 about Tsuchima nagura, which I'd never used before, and he offered to send me one. Not only did he not ask for any money, but also chucked in a couple of Mikawa nagura too, a few bags of various fingerstones, and then also refused to let me let me pay for the (transatlanic) shipping. Chapeau!

IMG_1950.jpg

One of Australia's great contributions (perhaps only great contribution) to the betterment of the English language is the phrase: 'We're not here to f*** spiders.' And despite him being American; I can confirm that Steve is likewise not into frolicking with arachnids when it comes to grading nagura and Uchi. These are some of the best Mikawa I have, and easily the best Uchi fingerstones I've ever used.

My shonky old phone camera probably doesn't do this full justice, but trust me - it's very, very nice indeed. :)

F5DF79D6-2A46-4777-9B75-DED88528C476.jpeg

CA393726-1DA4-4C40-84BE-81F8CC6A81BF.jpeg

A1A4695C-C4E7-41AA-BAA0-5817F3E595FC.jpeg

6874B139-6261-4C93-8D79-EE017BC2BD9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey gang,

I got a free koppa of suita from a member under a loose handshake deal to make fingerstones and send some back to them.

This was my first time attempting to make fingerstones and I wouldn’t have been near as successful without some consulting via @ethompson and @musicman980 regarding how to cut the stone

Long story short, got a diamond tile cutting bit for my Dremel to do the rough cutting of pieces into squares and rectangles. Did all the cutting over wax paper so I could save as much powder as possible.

Once rough cuts were done, I did chisel cuts to help cut them in half / thin them out

Below are some progression shots. I’m looking to make some small stones but also larger stones to give some variety

Currently still cutting and cleaning up the cut pieces on Atoma 140 and 400 before moving on to a higher grit

Let me know what you guys think
Great work🙌 Lemme know if your running short😆

A few months back I was chatting to @Steve56 about Tsuchima nagura, which I'd never used before, and he offered to send me one. Not only did he not ask for any money, but also chucked in a couple of Mikawa nagura too, a few bags of various fingerstones, and then also refused to let me let me pay for the (transatlanic) shipping. Chapeau!

View attachment 290595

One of Australia's great contributions (perhaps only great contribution) to the betterment of the English language is the phrase: 'We're not here to f*** spiders.' And despite him being American; I can confirm that Steve is likewise not into frolicking with arachnids when it comes to grading nagura and Uchi. These are some of the best Mikawa I have, and easily the best Uchi fingerstones I've ever used.

My shonky old phone camera probably doesn't do this full justice, but trust me - it's very, very nice indeed. :)

View attachment 290591

View attachment 290593

View attachment 290590

View attachment 290592
Super generous! Nice looking polish. Takobiki? Who is the maker or brand if you know?

Super generous! Nice looking polish. Takobiki? Who is the maker or brand if you know?

Yeah incredibly generous! And as well as being something of a jnat expert and having a fairly nifty knife collection, Steve's also a complete razor guru, and likewise generous with his time and knowledge on that front. I have a number of razors that are pretty swish but were slightly problematic to hone initially, and I wouldn't have been able to do them myself without his help / guidance / replying to all my random questions.

---

It is indeed a 270mm Takohiki yep, though I don't know the maker. It's a very nice, but not massively fancy knife which I picked up from Refcast on BST and then made a new handle for:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/270mm-takohiki.65995/
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/a-very-easy-way-to-make-a-wa-handle.66825/

Not perfect but it'll have to do, was chasing the deep grind marks on the primus but since the edge passes nail flex test I'm afraid to go any further. For the enn I'll try to even things out more w/ fingerstones this weekend

Soft Mizukihara uchi then Unknown renge suita on both

Last edited:
O
Still learning but I think a pretty good turn around on this mazaki

View attachment 290855

Looks good! What was your process?

I remember thinning this to a pretty nail flexing edge and have gotten a lot better at carrying some meat further down towards the edge for durability since, so I’m not surprised it got nuked after improper use (@jjsoviet no offence to your mum).

Back