Simi noob here, looking for a decent knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SUP][/SUP]

Mistakes, in my experience, primarily happen because of either (1) ignorance, (2) carelessness, or (3) bad habits. The fact that other employees were in a big hurry and mistakes were made leads me to believe that, even if you had a nice knife, there's no guarantee that your knife won't end up in the trash because "people were in a hurry" or because of "mistakes".

Your boss's knife fell into the trash? How come no one there bothered to move it out of the way in the first place or pick it up out of the trash at any time? I've gone digging in a trash can full of a week's worth of fish guts to retrieve knives that were accidentally thrown away.

+1 to what Justin posted and everyone who recommended a Forschner.

You are right, they were being idiots. We have fished knives out of the bin, and out of the dumpster. The problem is that they didnt see it missing that night, and the trash was collected the next morning. I will keep this knife in the office.

Whats a belt scabbard?

roman-sword-and-scabbard-gold-22466.jpg

I actually got that on here a while ago from a CCK thread. I also have it bookmarked :) Fortunately for me I live a couple hours away from the only CCK store in north america

Wow, multiple times of fishing knives out of the dumpster....sounds dangerous. Part of me wants to say stick with Dexters due to the kitchen environment, they work, most commercial kitchens in the US use them.....but IFF you wanted to up the anti I would second Theorys recommendation for the Suisin. Nothing against the FKM, I still have one, but the steel in the Suisin seems a bit harder, takes a keener edge, feels more fine grained when sharpening and generally has better fit and finish. The Western version has kind of a cool looking two toned handle that might give the appearance of a knife not to be messed with.

Next I would get a small leather bag, put two marbles in it and leave a note by it saying "this is what happened to the last guy that touched my knife".

Being that he's mostly using a steel is suggest the fkm. And yes they're out of china

If you work in a Kit. IMO you have to learn how to sharpen on a whetstone.Any knife will get dull after a while.If you go with one stone get a medium usually 1000 grit.If your knives are fr. walmart & get thrown in the trash even the bosses shun,sounds like knife knowledge & respect is at a low level where you work.Just reading this forum & a desire to learn freehand will serve you well.

A good start is the CCK Cleaver,cheap,carbon steel easy to sharpen.Good for picking up food.Just remember the knife is the tool of your trade,respect them & do not let edges bang into things except food & cutting board.

The Forschner Fibrox you can get it sharp on a 1000 stone,edge holding is decent esp. compared to walmart junk.If you get a better Japan Gyuto like the Fujiwara or Suisin Inox forget dropping them on the floor period.Treat them well & they will speed up your prep time.There is NO excuse for knife abuse.

yeah, something like that. but i kinda like the one that chefdepot sells. even if i don't like the seller.

Nope, was thinking the spartan look. Or butcher belt ala-Colin

Thanks for the info guys. That scabbard seemed like a neat idea, I may look into that.

I may save up a bit longer for the Suisin. Still thinking it over.

Can any of you recommend a good whetstone? Ours kinda sucks. Reasonably priced please.

And yes I understand how ****** up it is that they keep ******* up knives. But I do need a good one that I can be proud of, if you know what Im saying, Im sure the Dexters and other quality low priced ones would get the job done, But A nice knife is something I can be proud of and have for a long time. I plan on letting everyone know how much it cost, and that if they dare to use it they need to understand that they will replace it or be fired (Im not the head chef, more of a sous chef if we had one).

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

bester / beston by imanishi great price and great performer.

dave, the founder of this forum sells them at japaneseknifesharpening. he sells a core set of stones that you might wanna look into.

If price is an issue you should probably go for a combination stone. It is easy to spend a lot of money on high-end stones, but a cheaper combi should be good for you to learn with and give you a decent entry into sharpening.

The auction isn't over yet, but this one might turn out to be a bargain....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-Japanese-Combination-Water-Stone-K-80S-GRIT-1000-6000-wet-New-in-Box-Japan-/281066147476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4170d90e94

Doesn't have a stand though, if that matters to you.

You can get a combi stone very similar to it at Dave's site for $56, which seems to be the going rate on ebay as well.....

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Combination-sharpening-stone-1000x-6000x-p/combo1x6x.htm

R

If price is an issue you should probably go for a combination stone. It is easy to spend a lot of money on high-end stones, but a cheaper combi should be good for you to learn with and give you a decent entry into sharpening.

The auction isn't over yet, but this one might turn out to be a bargain....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-Japanese-Combination-Water-Stone-K-80S-GRIT-1000-6000-wet-New-in-Box-Japan-/281066147476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4170d90e94

Doesn't have a stand though, if that matters to you.

You can get a combi stone very similar to it at Dave's site for $56, which seems to be the going rate on ebay as well.....

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Combination-sharpening-stone-1000x-6000x-p/combo1x6x.htm

R

I guess the only similarity is both are 1k/6k stones.

Are the stones going to be used just for your knife or other knives as well?

Do you have a price range or budget for stones? Reasonably priced is somewhat vague.

Thanks for the info guys. That scabbard seemed like a neat idea, I may look into that.

I may save up a bit longer for the Suisin. Still thinking it over.

Can any of you recommend a good whetstone? Ours kinda sucks. Reasonably priced please.

And yes I understand how ****** up it is that they keep ******* up knives. But I do need a good one that I can be proud of, if you know what Im saying, Im sure the Dexters and other quality low priced ones would get the job done, But A nice knife is something I can be proud of and have for a long time. I plan on letting everyone know how much it cost, and that if they dare to use it they need to understand that they will replace it or be fired (Im not the head chef, more of a sous chef if we had one).

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

I'm not sure but the one on Dave's site could be a arishiyama 1k/6k. I'd suggest just buying a good 1k stone for now before jumping into higher grits. I get pretty good edges on my 1kish stone now but still lose sharpness when I go to 6k as I'm still learning

Are the stones going to be used just for your knife or other knives as well?

Do you have a price range or budget for stones? Reasonably priced is somewhat vague.

My knife and maybe a few others.

And no I barely have enough money to get a knife, the stone will have to wait a while.

a few others, then i'd get a 400-600 rough grit stone and a 1k grit medium stone..... judging from what you've said about your coworkers' knives, they'd be pretty darn chipped out and battered so a rough grit stone would be a must.

a few others, then i'd get a 400-600 rough grit stone and a 1k grit medium stone..... judging from what you've said about your coworkers' knives, they'd be pretty darn chipped out and battered so a rough grit stone would be a must.

Can you just hone them on a steel and then hit them with the stone?

nope. with the steel, you'll only end up rounding the edge even more. steels are used to true an edge and not sharpen. =D

only reason i'm suggesting separate stones vs. combo stones is because there's gonna be more knives to be sharpened. so you need more "stone" than most. since 2 separate stones are generally thicker than a combo stone, i'd go that route.

You can pick up an 800 king for about $25. I'd go that route

And no I barely have enough money to get a knife, the stone will have to wait a while.

Money being tight, I think the FKM range that was suggested a lot at the beginning of the thread is a good choice. I am thinking of getting one of their suji knives at the moment as they are by all reports very good knives for the price. Just google Fujiwara FKM to find lots of forum threads praising these knives.

The thing about not getting a stone though is that if you aren't going to properly sharpen these things, you might as well just save the money and get a cheap knife. That 1k/6k is still at $20 on ebay at the moment and would be a fine stone for you to start with. It will probably climb a few bucks, but you can get them brand new for about $50 so it won't go that high.

Fujiwara FKM Gyuto range

My knife and maybe a few others.

If you buy a knife but don't have any stones to sharpen it, that knife, in a short while, is not going to be any better than the beater knives you have there.

Since you're a professional cook, and considering your budget is that small, I would recommend one medium grit stone (anywhere from 1k to 2k) and buying the cheapest, decent knife you can afford. I would not recomend a combo stone because the benefit of going to a higher grit would likely be very short term because your crew doesn't seem to take care of knives.

BTW - What kind of budget are you talking about?

If you buy a knife but don't have any stones to sharpen it, that knife, in a short while, is not going to be any better than the beater knives you have there.

Since you're a professional cook, and considering your budget is that small, I would recommend one medium grit stone (anywhere from 1k to 2k) and buying the cheapest, decent knife you can afford. I would not recomend a combo stone because the benefit of going to a higher grit would likely be very short term because your crew doesn't seem to take care of knives.

BTW - What kind of budget are you talking about?

Thanks guys, I guess since I have never really used a stone except this crappy one my boss has I never realized how important they were.

My budget is around $120 tops.

Also, is there anything wrong with the KHM Santoku style? No one has really talked about them much but Ive used quite a few santoku style blades and I like the way they work.

You can pick up an 800 king for about $25. I'd go that route

The king 800 is pretty terrible at sharpening knives. It is however wonderful at creating a fake kasumi finish on single bevels.

Back