Simi noob here, looking for a decent knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recomm the 240 Fujiwara Chef knife,over Santoku or Sugi.The chef knife is more versitile + it has more steel in it,will last longer at work.

Check Jon's site Japanese Knife Imports for freehand You-Tube tutorals.All you need is a medium stone.The King 1000 would be in your price range for knife & stone.The Bester 1200 is a little more,excellent stone.I know it sounds harsh but your coworkers get paid too,let them buy their own stone.If a bunch of different people are using same stone,it will get out of wack.

a few others, then i'd get a 400-600 rough grit stone and a 1k grit medium stone..... judging from what you've said about your coworkers' knives, they'd be pretty darn chipped out and battered so a rough grit stone would be a must.

Rough Stones: 400 grit and below, I wld use any cheap stones that can remove metal effectively . not necessarily water stones . Objective is to remove steel effectively. Has to be finished on at least 1000 Grit and above.

So far I dont see any reason to use expensive stones for steel removal on the <400 grit.

hv fun.
d

Rough Stones: 400 grit and below, I wld use any cheap stones that can remove metal effectively . not necessarily water stones . Objective is to remove steel effectively. Has to be finished on at least 1000 Grit and above.

agreed. i use a cheap carborundum stone for this. =D

I know it sounds harsh but your coworkers get paid too,let them buy their own stone.If a bunch of different people are using same stone,it will get out of wack.

Charge them $10/hour to use your stone.

I defiantly would not let any of my co-workers use the stone. My brother also works with me, so I would let him because I trust him. But no one else, well I guess my boss, because if he breaks it he can go get a new one, he would probably just test it out and buy his own if he likes it.

Back