Single bevel sashimi knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toufas

Reaction score
I currently have no need for a single bevel knife.

I do have a nenohi (i think w2) 240mm tana that I don't use that often.
I also have a 210 laser thin aebl gyuto that is shoty so I have almost a sujihiki there.

So that means I want to buy a knife!

Can someone you ll me the pros and cons of a yanagiba, takobiki and fugihiki?
From what I get, fugihiki is a more nimble/thin/shorter yanagi, and takobikis are more fragile due to their height?
Is there a reason that we don't see any newer steels in single bevel knives like sg2, hap40 etc?

I'm really dazzled by the looks of a sakimaru takobiki. Will I regret it?
Could I use a softer metal yanagiba and do some small fish filleting if I need it ( sardines, mackerel)

Thank you for your answers!

It would seem in your situation that a nice suji would be a good choice. You could use it on fish but also on other stuff, multi purpose slicer. If you really want the single bevel for the novelty of it. Then I guess that's what you would get.

My current yani is ginsanko and I like it but it's tough to sharpen. Also have a ginsanko deba. Would think that the harder steels would be even more inclined to chip.

And while the more practical knife for you may be a suji - more versatile, easier to maintain, - who wants practical? I have a yani now, have had a takobiki in the past and would have another..

Is the takobiki more fragile? Apart from the tip, is everything else the same with a yanagiba?

Is the takobiki more fragile? Apart from the tip, is everything else the same with a yanagiba?

I don’t make sushi per se, do a little crudo... but I own lots of single bevels, and use them for fun on all kinds of stuff.. I wouldn’t say that a fuguhiki is more fragile than a yanagi (at the edge), but it’s certainly a much thinner knife. And the tip is more delicate. The Hide usuba (210mm) and Big ol yanagi (330) in this vid are about the same spine thickness, and double the mizuno fugu (300). The Toyama Deba is even thicker (180). But the edges are all razors and very thin. Takobikis and fuguhikis are kinda cousins.. flatter and thinner than most yanagiba

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iNmTu4BuvQRvVBsu6

Whoops.. I forgot my fugu isn’t in there. That last one is a Toyama kiritsuke.. it’s thin I too

I mean what are you gonna cut/how you gonna use it?

I don't think anyone can ever regret a sakimaru takobiki simply because it looks so badass. Even if you never cut a single thing with it you still hang it on a wall and have every single visitor drool over it. :p

A yanagiba can be used even in a household setting fairly often, depending on what you like the prepare of course, IMO. As a raw protein slicer it's pretty darn good but with cooked/crusty/very dense foods you're out of luck usit it. Cool type of knife to own if you like messing around with polishes and stones as well.

I'd watch this video...I found this is enlightening.

[video=youtube;hE2iaGdjLxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE2iaGdjLxc[/video]

I currently have no need for a single bevel knife.

I do have a nenohi (i think w2) 240mm tana that I don't use that often.
I also have a 210 laser thin aebl gyuto that is shoty so I have almost a sujihiki there.

So that means I want to buy a knife!

Can someone you ll me the pros and cons of a yanagiba, takobiki and fugihiki?
From what I get, fugihiki is a more nimble/thin/shorter yanagi, and takobikis are more fragile due to their height?
Is there a reason that we don't see any newer steels in single bevel knives like sg2, hap40 etc?

I'm really dazzled by the looks of a sakimaru takobiki. Will I regret it?
Could I use a softer metal yanagiba and do some small fish filleting if I need it ( sardines, mackerel)

Thank you for your answers!

I have a quite a collection of single bevel knives so I'll share my 2 cents.

Yanagiba is designed to excel at slicing protein without much sinew, i.e fish etc. I personally find 300mm to be the "perfect" length for me, just long enough to portion entire loins of tuna. Ideally you'll want a blade long enough to cut the fish in one fluid pull motion. Some people prefer 330mm but i've never really had a need for anything more then my 300s. As a professional sushi chefs, I've honestly never met a chef with a 330. Most restaurants simply don't have enough space for it. If you do end up getting a yanagi, I highly advise against a k-tip.

Takobiki - perfect for getting around and cutting off octopus tentacles as well as the "wave" cut. It works wonderfully butterflying shrimp as well. However I don't use it much when I cut fish and sashimi because of the reduced height, those extra few mm do matter when you're cutting fish all day.

Fugihiki is exactly what you think it is, it is more nimble, thinner version of a yanagi. It works just as well cutting fish but I personally like the extra weight from a heavier blade. Fuguhikis are probably more fragile compared to yanagis, but that wouldn't be something I would worry about. All single bevel knives are fragile. If you're using it as intended.. chances are if you manage to chip a fuguhiki during use, same would happen with a yanagi as well.

As for your steel question, I wanted a powdered steel single bevel too when I first gotten into knives. The reason why you can't find many is because it's not necessary, those knives don't see the abuse a gyuto or nakiri does. You don't bang those things against the cutting board, they're meant as slicers so even if they do make contact with the cutting surface, it shouldn't deteriorate the edge that much. Another reason is because sharpening a harder steel such as hap40 or zdp single bevel would be a complete nightmare, stick to your "simple" shiroko steel.

I have a quite a collection of single bevel knives so I'll share my 2 cents.

Yanagiba is designed to excel at slicing protein without much sinew, i.e fish etc. I personally find 300mm to be the "perfect" length for me, just long enough to portion entire loins of tuna. Ideally you'll want a blade long enough to cut the fish in one fluid pull motion. Some people prefer 330mm but i've never really had a need for anything more then my 300s. As a professional sushi chefs, I've honestly never met a chef with a 330. Most restaurants simply don't have enough space for it. If you do end up getting a yanagi, I highly advise against a k-tip.

Takobiki - perfect for getting around and cutting off octopus tentacles as well as the "wave" cut. It works wonderfully butterflying shrimp as well. However I don't use it much when I cut fish and sashimi because of the reduced height, those extra few mm do matter when you're cutting fish all day.

Fugihiki is exactly what you think it is, it is more nimble, thinner version of a yanagi. It works just as well cutting fish but I personally like the extra weight from a heavier blade. Fuguhikis are probably more fragile compared to yanagis, but that wouldn't be something I would worry about. All single bevel knives are fragile. If you're using it as intended.. chances are if you manage to chip a fuguhiki during use, same would happen with a yanagi as well.

As for your steel question, I wanted a powdered steel single bevel too when I first gotten into knives. The reason why you can't find many is because it's not necessary, those knives don't see the abuse a gyuto or nakiri does. You don't bang those things against the cutting board, they're meant as slicers so even if they do make contact with the cutting surface, it shouldn't deteriorate the edge that much. Another reason is because sharpening a harder steel such as hap40 or zdp single bevel would be a complete nightmare, stick to your "simple" shiroko steel.

Thank you!
What is that wave cut that you mentioned and why butterflying prawns is easier with the takobiki?

It's kind of hard to capture on camera, it's much more noticeable in person.. this isn't to say it can't be done with a yanagi (I actually used a yanagi cutting that piece) It's just a little easier.

40130995070_0aaba7325a_b.jpg

41938133221_51105ee0c8_b.jpg

The tip shape of a takobiki or sakemaru takobiki makes it better at butterflying shrimp, if you tap the blade just right, it should stop right at the digestive tract without breaking into two.

If you are not getting it for a pro job then just go with what you like the best and enjoy :)

Latest posts

Back