So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget James as another one in the mix for the lead.

I think Chanop has me beat =)

Then again it isn't a competition, I've recently found my love for Katos and am trying to hunt down some single bevels!

Then again it isn't a competition, I've recently found my love for Katos and am trying to hunt down some single bevels!

Of course. It's just the fun of the chase ... ;)

Seriously though, other collectors have commented that between Shig and Kato, it is Shig for Single bevel and Kato for double bevel. Whilst I doubt this is universally true, there may be some merit in it. At this level, you really can't go wrong.

Enjoy!

J

Based on members I have talked to that sounds accurate. I have heard some reports of Kato single bevels having some in perfections.

I'm actually also hunting for a 180mm Standard Kato petty and a 270mm Standard Sujihiki =D

Of course. It's just the fun of the chase ... ;)

Seriously though, other collectors have commented that between Shig and Kato, it is Shig for Single bevel and Kato for double bevel. Whilst I doubt this is universally true, there may be some merit in it. At this level, you really can't go wrong.

Enjoy!

J

Funny, not that long ago a hamokiri sat unsold for a long time at jns.

It seems like it was there for a couple of years. I think the market caught up to the $1.5k + price though, and has just kept moving.

Kato 270 Sujis would sit on JNS for months too, until about 9 months ago ...

So that leaves Mike and Floris fighting it out for the lead?

Nope, not mine, though have seen these images before. These three knives were part of an order which included these as well:

20150121_092713_resized.jpg

If it just for the total number of Shig's, I am retreating :) Just a bit above a dozen, that's all. However, I am happy with variety and each will get used at one time or another. Chukka gets the most use at the moment.

The latest addition, had the opportunity to acquire this 180mm Kitaeji Gyuto, Yo Handle; had to find out myself all the noise that Mike's been making about yo handles.. :) A very nice blade profile, handle feels extremely comfortable, stunning finish on the blade. Can't wait to put this knife to good use!

gyuto_1.jpg

gyuto_2.jpg

gyuto_3.jpg

gyuto_4.jpg

Congrats, Zweber12. That Shig original handle in lighter colour wood is looking nice.

Nothing like a good ol' fashion penis swinging contest. I should mention I'm 1/8th grizzly.

So I finally got around photographing my collection for the upcoming website. (Do not ask me when it comes online, I do not know) Today was "Coil Day" (per advice of Matus and XoMG (thread here) and updating several angle shoots of the knives from last year. Took a bit longer than expected for sure.

Coil shot setup:
setup1.jpg

Make shift lightbox:
setup2.jpg

Coil Sample (Chuka):
coil_sample.jpg

Okay, that all went faster than I thought; finding the right groove and workflow this weekend to process the images and create the site. It's online!

website_cover.gif

(link in my signature)

Very nice F, you even have your own domain :cool2:

One thing I noticed is that the second listing (KASUMI SUJIHIKI, 270MM) looks to have a picture of a Kasumi yanagi, I could be wrong, but the shinogi looks very defined for a Suji :dontknow:

Also glad to see you got one of those Kitaeji Mioroshi Debas… I think Maksim must have had at least four of them as several people got one

thanks, T; indeed a reminiscent from the late 90's of buying domains "before they were gone". I checked the link (#17) for the suji and the images seem to be the right ones. Perhaps the patina in the blade reflection? The images are actually 1024x768 though have to find a way to make them pop up, or something; My HTML skills are a bit rust at best.

Re: Mioroshi, i was surprised i was able to order one from Maksim, as I discovered his email fairly late. Maybe there are more than 4?

Yea, I kinda wish I got on the domain bandwagon too, not sure what I'd do with one though. I'll send you a quick email about the website…

I already regret not getting a mioroshi for the collection, not much use for me as a lefty but they were a good price for a Kitaeji and a single bevel at that. I was actually on the JNS site when the email came in and had it in my cart and was about to submit my order then a momentary lapse of sanity overtook me. Sat around debating for awhile and repeated the process several times, eventually emailed someone I thought would be interested who apparently got one and they still weren't out of stock.

Got around taking several photos of the Mioroshi:

4.jpg

more images and measurements can be found here

Finally arrived after 5 weeks in transit with several custom hold-ups from a fellow KKF'er. Super excited about this one can't wait to put it work

5.jpg

More knife details can be found by clicking here

So it looks like there were quite a few mioroshi that went with maksims latest sale. Seeing that I have now seen or heard at least 2 more other than me who got it as well. Was a real beauty at that price too.

That must have been a torture.

Congrats on a new yo and growing family of yo shig's. You should also do a reverse taper on the tang shot. It is a sublime look on the look of integral bolster where the tang is thicker at the bolster and thinner at the tip.

Finally arrived after 5 weeks in transit with several custom hold-ups from a fellow KKF'er. Super excited about this one can't wait to put it work

Back