So I'm thinking about passing around my Dragon slayers.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HHH Dragonslayers (overall conclusions are in bold at the bottom)
Aesthetics A
The blade is dark, and very deeply etched. The wood is very nice and dark, very nice quality material, imo. The look was very consistent across the matching set. The signature HHH look is very dramatic but classy-looking in my opinion.
Fit and finish B
There were a few issues that I think are easily corrected for the most part but fair to mention. The choil felt a bit uncomfortable and I wouldn’t want to fix it myself an ruin the etched finish. There were gaps between the copper liners and the tang on every blade. One in particular was quite large where a credit card could easily slide into the gap. I was surprised all of the gaps arrived clean and corrosion free, actually. The grind is fairly even judging by bevel width across the blade. As with most knifemakers, one side is ground more consistently, in this case that was the right side. Small handles were very smooth with no voids or checks and silky smooth, natural feeling.
Cutting C
As soon as the knives arrived I checked for sharpness (they shaved arm hair) and tried cutting an onion and a potato. My overwhelming feeling was that the knife really struggled to cut compared to the other bladed I’d been testing lately. Upon closer inspection, I found the bevels had been cut at 25+ deg on a side by my estimation. With Son’s permission, I reground the bevels to about 15 deg per side with a slight right hand asymmetry. Cutting was MUCH better. Lateral cuts on an onion were nice but vertical or radial cuts required more force than I would have liked. Food release was reasonable but not great with butternut squash posing a bit of an inconvenience. Power cutting was very good. Cleaving the onion in two was surprisingly pleasant and easy. On hard veggies like carrots, the knife felt a bit clumsy and the very flat profile led to some accordion cuts when I was handling large amounts of leafy veggies. The edge felt nice and aggressive but seemed to roll more than I expected but the steel responded well to my glass rod. Reactivity was not bad. Onions stank a bit and mangos discolored before patina really set in. I did feel the damascus drag, as usual.
Sharpening B
The steel was easy to grind but the burr was more fragmented and a bit more tenacious than expected. At first, I thought I might not have finished grinding the bevels in but this observations was reproducible. My guess is that one of the steels in the damascus mix was more of a burr lover than the other. Regardless, I produced the edge with my now standard Gesshin 1k, 5k, Kit8k and a little clean-up stropping on leather w/ 1 mcn diamond and passed the tomato test reasonably well. The plunge line is a little annoying and would catch here and there on my stones.
Other design points B
I thought the knuckle clearance was good on the gyuto and might be an issue on slicer and paring depending on how you like using them. The sheath has a nice, heavy and compact construction. Looks like a modified first draft with some odd stitching holes here and there and the slicer tip sticks out the bottom when completely inserted into the sheath. Cool “ferrule” shape, while aesthically pleasing is not fit for dropping into a knifeblock. I also noticed some tiny voids in the damascus, which I’ve seen in some other damascus knives and I don’t know that they are really a problem.
Overall B-/C+
I think these knives represent a very good, early effort by HHH.:thumbsup: These knives are decent cutters, esp if you like flat profiles. They have a distinctive look, as do all HHH pieces, in general. A few grind tweaks and fixing the gap issues would take these from decent to excellent, in my opinion. For what it’s worth, I’ve checked out some of HHH’s more recent work and the cutting ability has significantly improved. If these were my knives, I would be strongly inclined to take Randy up on his offer to modify the set a touch since I know he’s capable. I’m sure both knifemaker and customer would be happier, in the long run. :my2cents:

Someone mentioned the overall grade doesn't seem to match the average of the other grades. I don't think all of the categories have the same importance. Also, the bang for the buck factor might be clouding my judgement.:scratchhead: Either way, the main point is these knives are a few tweaks away from being quite nice to use and I know he can do it based on another knife he's made.

They are on the way to Pablo, should get there on Tuesday. I forgot to send him the tracking number yesterday, I will get that done today.

HHH Dragonslayers (overall conclusions are in bold at the bottom)
Aesthetics A
The blade is dark, and very deeply etched. The wood is very nice and dark, very nice quality material, imo. The look was very consistent across the matching set. The signature HHH look is very dramatic but classy-looking in my opinion.
Fit and finish B
There were a few issues that I think are easily corrected for the most part but fair to mention. The choil felt a bit uncomfortable and I wouldn’t want to fix it myself an ruin the etched finish. There were gaps between the copper liners and the tang on every blade. One in particular was quite large where a credit card could easily slide into the gap. I was surprised all of the gaps arrived clean and corrosion free, actually. The grind is fairly even judging by bevel width across the blade. As with most knifemakers, one side is ground more consistently, in this case that was the right side. Small handles were very smooth with no voids or checks and silky smooth, natural feeling.
Cutting C
As soon as the knives arrived I checked for sharpness (they shaved arm hair) and tried cutting an onion and a potato. My overwhelming feeling was that the knife really struggled to cut compared to the other bladed I’d been testing lately. Upon closer inspection, I found the bevels had been cut at 25+ deg on a side by my estimation. With Son’s permission, I reground the bevels to about 15 deg per side with a slight right hand asymmetry. Cutting was MUCH better. Lateral cuts on an onion were nice but vertical or radial cuts required more force than I would have liked. Food release was reasonable but not great with butternut squash posing a bit of an inconvenience. Power cutting was very good. Cleaving the onion in two was surprisingly pleasant and easy. On hard veggies like carrots, the knife felt a bit clumsy and the very flat profile led to some accordion cuts when I was handling large amounts of leafy veggies. The edge felt nice and aggressive but seemed to roll more than I expected but the steel responded well to my glass rod. Reactivity was not bad. Onions stank a bit and mangos discolored before patina really set in. I did feel the damascus drag, as usual.
Sharpening B
The steel was easy to grind but the burr was more fragmented and a bit more tenacious than expected. At first, I thought I might not have finished grinding the bevels in but this observations was reproducible. My guess is that one of the steels in the damascus mix was more of a burr lover than the other. Regardless, I produced the edge with my now standard Gesshin 1k, 5k, Kit8k and a little clean-up stropping on leather w/ 1 mcn diamond and passed the tomato test reasonably well. The plunge line is a little annoying and would catch here and there on my stones.
Other design points B
I thought the knuckle clearance was good on the gyuto and might be an issue on slicer and paring depending on how you like using them. The sheath has a nice, heavy and compact construction. Looks like a modified first draft with some odd stitching holes here and there and the slicer tip sticks out the bottom when completely inserted into the sheath. Cool “ferrule” shape, while aesthically pleasing is not fit for dropping into a knifeblock. I also noticed some tiny voids in the damascus, which I’ve seen in some other damascus knives and I don’t know that they are really a problem.
Overall B-/C+
I think these knives represent a very good, early effort by HHH.:thumbsup: These knives are decent cutters, esp if you like flat profiles. They have a distinctive look, as do all HHH pieces, in general. A few grind tweaks and fixing the gap issues would take these from decent to excellent, in my opinion. For what it’s worth, I’ve checked out some of HHH’s more recent work and the cutting ability has significantly improved. If these were my knives, I would be strongly inclined to take Randy up on his offer to modify the set a touch since I know he’s capable. I’m sure both knifemaker and customer would be happier, in the long run. :my2cents:

In short: Have Randy make you a set once he knows what he's doing.

In short: Have Randy make you a set once he knows what he's doing.

I would agree with holding off on an elaborate set early on for any knifemaker just going into kitchen knives, but there is also something fun about trying new stuff out (if you have the means). I loved Salty's posts that showed the progression of Fowler, and I probably bought a Fowler knife because of it.

k.

[video=youtube;RHZ3j0251B0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZ3j0251B0&feature=youtu.be[/video]:biggrin:

I would agree with holding off on an elaborate set early on for any knifemaker just going into kitchen knives, but there is also something fun about trying new stuff out (if you have the means). I loved Salty's posts that showed the progression of Fowler, and I probably bought a Fowler knife because of it.

k.

There is also getting in while a maker isn't so well known and they don't have a massive waiting list and their prices aren't that high

There is also getting in while a maker isn't so well known and they don't have a massive waiting list and their prices aren't that high

100% agree. I was in on Dave's first Hiro handle buy and his first batch of knives. I also got in on Marko's first list and a fairly early pre-buy with Del. I just had an Adam Marr finished and also ordered a knife from Randy. Two Fowlers are also in my collection. Though not all of the knives have been perfect, I've enjoyed using them all and they are amazing knives. Getting in early is fun and you get to play with some interesting knives.

I can't wait for my knife from Randy. Any good maker learns and wants to learn to make better knives, and Randy is no different.

k.

They are on the way to Pablo, should get there on Tuesday. I forgot to send him the tracking number yesterday, I will get that done today.

Spike,
Got it, AND I am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

PZ

Hey All,
They arrived a few hours ago. Went back to re-read TK's assessment which is exteremly accurate. There are very few things that I can add and this posting is just first impression stuff. The only thing I have cut with them is bacon, and jack cheese for refried beans.

GapsW.jpg
Gaps TK mentioned.
GyutoLft.jpgGyutoRt.jpg
Right hand bias still there. I will touch up on 5K Choseras and strop.
ParerLft.jpgParerRt.jpg
Ricassos look like they get in the way of sharpening. Dinged scale on the left and scratch marks on the right were probably caused by sharpening.
PinPlacemantW.jpg
Pins a little off but that may be intentional due to thong holes......do chef knives need thongs?????? If so, WHY??
SlicerNic.jpg
Little nic in slicer blade. This could be due to brass ring in sheath if blade was inserted backwards. Will try to clean up when I sharpen and strop.
SlicerRtW.jpg
Scratches from sharpening. The pattern welded steel hides them really well.

More to follow. This is just straight out of the box as they arrived.

PZ

Nice pics and measurement, Pabloz. Some of the sharpening scuffs were probably me. I do remember getting caught here and there while resetting the bevels. The slight right-hand bias was me, as well. I thought it would help with the cutting performance a bit without adversely affecting the edge-holding. The scratches were there when they got to me and the thong-holes are something that is specific to Son.

actually those lanyard holes are so I don't drop them, had heart surgery awhile back and they cut some nerves in my wrists when they took some arteries out to put in my ticker. sometimes I loose feeling. I definitely don't want to drop these.lol too purdy! scuffs and scratches are fine, it is a working set and I expected a few knicks and dings on this pass around. I can always have Randy do some spa treatment at the end.lol I don't mind a right hand bias as Most of my knives are.

Nice pics and measurement, Pabloz. Some of the sharpening scuffs were probably me. I do remember getting caught here and there while resetting the bevels. The slight right-hand bias was me, as well. I thought it would help with the cutting performance a bit without adversely affecting the edge-holding. The scratches were there when they got to me and the thong-holes are something that is specific to Son.

TK,
Now I see why you are considered the sharpening master. If you can do that precise a bias by eye...WOW.
PZ

They have started to take on a really BITCHEN patina that I will try to get some shots of in natural light. The bright electric blue is just dazzling. This pattern is SOOOOOO COOOL I almost get lost in my thoughts just looking at it a while and it hides the small scatches really well. I hope I can get down to Joe Cordova, my mentor, and show him...if that's OK with you Son.

I'll give them a 5k touch up today and get some cut tests done. I'm thinking cabbage and carrots for slaw, parsnips and baby yukons for that baked recipe someone posted...that was great.

If there are any questions about em that y'all might have please post them.

TK,
Now I see why you are considered the sharpening master. If you can do that precise a bias by eye...WOW.
PZ

They have started to take on a really BITCHEN patina that I will try to get some shots of in natural light. The bright electric blue is just dazzling. This pattern is SOOOOOO COOOL I almost get lost in my thoughts just looking at it a while and it hides the small scatches really well. I hope I can get down to Joe Cordova, my mentor, and show him...if that's OK with you Son.

I'll give them a 5k touch up today and get some cut tests done. I'm thinking cabbage and carrots for slaw, parsnips and baby yukons for that baked recipe someone posted...that was great.

If there are any questions about em that y'all might have please post them.

fine with me, do what you gotta do

TK,
PZ
Master? Uh, no... Still, thanks for the feedback. Also SpikeC might have been responsible for some of that. I don't know if he sharpened it. :)

Master? Uh, no... Still, thanks for the feedback. Also SpikeC might have been responsible for some of that. I don't know if he sharpened it. :)

In a PM Spike said he left the angles and just stropped them with some .5 micron spray and that they were fun to play with. I'll leave the angles for Eamon and just lightly touch them up. I'm sure he'll want to see them. I would absolutely love to be next after Jon did a sharpen job on a knife. The one Skype lesson I was in on was great....can only imagine a face to face session.

I did work the edge on the parer. The bigger knives had nice edges on them, but the parer felt dullish so I worked it a bit on an Ozuku until it passed the 3 finger test. I left the other edges as Tinh set them to let the edge durability be evaluated by more usage. I was a little surprised by a loss of edge acuity after shredding 3 potatoes and thinly slicing 2 more. I was whacking away on my Boardsmith, butt still felt that the edge could have held up better. The stropping did bring it back pretty well, though. The slicer had a spot on the blade that I could not seem to get sharp. It was as if there was a not complete weld there, the next people will have to determine if it an issue, or just an anomaly.
I have written 3 reviews so far and my 'puter has eaten all of them, so this my be it!

...I was a little surprised by a loss of edge acuity after shredding 3 potatoes and thinly slicing 2 more. I was whacking away on my Boardsmith, butt still felt that the edge could have held up better. The stropping did bring it back pretty well, though...
I felt the same way, in general.

If it's ok with everyone, Spike can send the Sigma stones to Eamon and I'll send Eamon the Dragon Slayers at the same time that way he can have another Christmas party. Then Eamon can send the stones to me and I'll get em back to Marko and the D/Srs can go next on the list. Will that work for everyone?

Hey, Eamon can you send the knives to Justin when your done as Karring well be out of town? justin0505

Back