Soft synthetic boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For your application let me suggest Epicurean. Not bad boards, not bad on knives, fine in dishwasher. Each has a hole for hanging in one corner that may help provide some orientation for yr wife. Another plus is that they are relatively light and compare favorably to polycrap of the same size.

I've got a boatload of these left from cooking classes - some more used than others. if you'll cover postage I can priority a couple three your way. Hit me with a pm.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FDN77A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to Sani-tuff, anyone have thoughts on these http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-24-x-1-2-synthetic-rubber-cutting-board/407CBR1824.html
They also make 12x18x1, and I'm probably going to be getting something from here anyways so could maybe save on shipping as opposed to ordering the Sani-tuff from wasserstrom… not too sure of a good Canadian source but will be looking into for both further.

My googlefu tell me that cbr1824 is made by update international which is a division of crown brands (parent company of Johnson Rose and some others)… still NSF and FDA approved so probably legit, although I'd probably splurge for the Sani-tuff if it's worth the extra cost

I really enjoy the discussion. I hope this leads others in the industry to move away from ploy boards. I will most likely order a Hi-soft in the next week or two. I really like the larger sizes they offer.

I have a light cut so the material for me does not matter too much for feel. never chop anything anymore.

either that or it is the limited things I cut anymore. I can get my meat cut how I want it at the butcher shop so I never cut it anymore before its cooked but the light touch seems to just happen now.

In addition to Sani-tuff, anyone have thoughts on these http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-24-x-1-2-synthetic-rubber-cutting-board/407CBR1824.html
They also make 12x18x1, and I'm probably going to be getting something from here anyways so could maybe save on shipping as opposed to ordering the Sani-tuff from wasserstrom… not too sure of a good Canadian source but will be looking into for both further.

My googlefu tell me that cbr1824 is made by update international which is a division of crown brands (parent company of Johnson Rose and some others)… still NSF and FDA approved so probably legit, although I'd probably splurge for the Sani-tuff if it's worth the extra cost

Just ordered the 18X24x.5. $40 and $20 to ship (yeah big heavy items are expensive to ship, I get it). Still a good price if it is close to a Sani-tuff. I will update when appropriate. Thanks for the link Tanner.

Cheers,
rj

For those interested in the Sani-Tuff brand, pricing is good from is KaTom. KaTom also carries the"cbr" brand mentioned by tjangula.

http://https://www.katom.com/cat/rubber-cutting-board.html?sort=lowest

One bit of confusion from KaTom's website is that some of the boards are sold in multi-packs. The listed prices are per item, but shipping cost assumes you buy the multi-pack. However, the KaTom website allows you to buy a single board and charges you the multi-pack shipping. Not sure what KaTom would actually ship if you ordered a single board online. To avoid confusion, I ordered via the phone when I purchased my boards last year.

The shipping price error only affects some items. If you look at the product description and the weight seems unusually high (like 28 lbs for a 12 x 18 x 3/4 board), then shipping was priced for the multi-pack. KaTom customer service was able to quickly correct the order for me.

Thank you for sharing the information, which is very useful information. I will follow up this topic to update your earliest

Just curious from those who use them how they actually feel in use? Does the knife cut into the board like end grain? How do they feel while chopping? Are these available at SLT or WS?

Inquiring minds want to know...I've got a few end grains that I use for pretty much everything (with a cheapo restaurant supply for chicken) but always worth exploring.

Just curious from those who use them how they actually feel in use? Does the knife cut into the board like end grain? How do they feel while chopping? Are these available at SLT or WS?

Inquiring minds want to know...I've got a few end grains that I use for pretty much everything (with a cheapo restaurant supply for chicken) but always worth exploring.

In a week I will certainly let you know how the cbr board works. I would bet it is much better than working on a poly board.

The cbr board arrived just before leaving for work today so I was able to use it. Though I can't comment yet as to just how much better edge retention is after just one day, I can say it is way better than poly. This board isn't too soft. It is pretty rigid and feels so much better than poly; very similar to wood. $60 well spent. My new Kato enjoyed it today.

Thanks for sharing! I'm torn between just sticking with the epicurean boards I already have, or getting some synthetic rubber such as CBR to use instead as beaters…

Thanks for sharing! I'm torn between just sticking with the epicurean boards I already have, or getting some synthetic rubber such as CBR to use instead as beaters…

I haven't tried the Epicurean boards but I will say for the price, especially for the smaller cbr board, they would make for really nice beater/raw meat home boards.

I actually bought an Epicurean as a meat board on DaveB's recommend in this thread. Only used a couple of times, but I haven't ruined any edges yet and it does go well in the dishwasher.

Anyone that can find something like this that is coloured and in Europe?

I've always heard that boards made of richlite (such as Epicurean cutting boards) were tougher on your knives than wood because richlite is a much harder material. Here's a link to a cutting board store that sells richlite boards. They are promoting the material as harder and more scratch resistant than wood. To me, that means it is not as knife edge friendly.

http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/blog/richlite-cutting-boards-vs-wood-cutting-boards/

I've always heard that boards made of richlite (such as Epicurean cutting boards) were tougher on your knives than wood because richlite is a much harder material. Here's a link to a cutting board store that sells richlite boards. They are promoting the material as harder and more scratch resistant than wood. To me, that means it is not as knife edge friendly.

http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/blog/richlite-cutting-boards-vs-wood-cutting-boards/

I wouldn't be surprised, it does feel hard.

I use it exclusively as a meat board, so it doesn't get too much use.

After a second day using the cbr board at work, I can safely say it is a drastic improvement on edge retention. I feel a little embarrassed that I haven't done this sooner. It would have saved me many hours of sharpening over the last number of years. Don't get me wrong, I find sharpening meditative/relaxing but doing it half as often would have been nice. This board feels about as soft as a softer wood like pine with the 'healing' of an end grain. Highly recommended for a pro user. It does feel a little strange dragging into work a 18x24 inch board but it is worth it. I makes perfect sense, the questionnaire includes 'what surface do you use to cut on'. I have always had wood boards at home and took it for granted that I was relegated to using poly at work.

This might be a little out there but besides the wonderful aesthetics of a nice thick end grain board... I like the feel of this synthetic rubber board better.

Cheers,
rj

Glad to hear it's a keeper… how do you find the feedback when cutting? A complaint I've heard about rubber boards in general is that they can "grab" the edge if your technique isn't spot on. Overall everything sounds promising, I just wish shipping to Canada wasn't so expensive.

Glad to hear it's a keeper… how do you find the feedback when cutting? A complaint I've heard about rubber boards in general is that they can "grab" the edge if your technique isn't spot on. Overall everything sounds promising, I just wish shipping to Canada wasn't so expensive.

TJ-

The feel is quite dampened but I haven't experienced any sticking or grabbing. Not sure if this is due to my technique or not. I rarely rock and usually use a fairly light touch which is probably from trying to lessen the abuse of poly boards. I touched up my big Toyama last night and the edge was still shave sharp at the end of a busy day at work today. So far the board isn't showing many or really any cut marks.

I don't run it through the machine. I just imagine the board becoming a little soft when exposed to 200+ degrees for a couple minutes.

Cheers and I like the name change!
rj

i used mine today (cbr 15x20x.5) and it was not as good as i had hoped. sanituff is much better, but not bad for under $40. the feel is much more dense, not as soft. it is quite stable surface though.

i used mine today (cbr 15x20x.5) and it was not as good as i had hoped. sanituff is much better, but not bad for under $40. the feel is much more dense, not as soft. it is quite stable surface though.

So you think the sanituff is more forgiving to an edge? Does your sanituff stay true/flat? I might have to order a small sanituff to compare. Do you run them through the machine?

Thanks Panda,
rj

i have tried sanituff a few times but don't own one (yet) yes sanituff is more absorbing and cbr is slightly slippery. they are machine washable but i only hand wash.

This might be a little out there but besides the wonderful aesthetics of a nice thick end grain board... I like the feel of this synthetic rubber board better.

I'm not surprised. Over the holidays I cooked at my mom's apartment, where she has some kind of mystery plastic board ... much softer than her crappy poly boards. I didn't mind cutting on it at all, and at the end of the weekend noticed that my gyuto edge held up much better than it does on my endgrain maple board at home. Hers is not a cbr or sanituf (I'll probably never know what it is) but it gave me a sense of what a nice synthetic might feel like.

Back