Special Carter's Are In.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I just have it for free? That would be nice of you... :D

Hehehe... I snagged myself one of these knives because I'd been waiting for it. But - and given how this thread has been going - I haven't seen a large version of the product photo. I have only been online on my phone the last few days, and there's only so much detail I can see on this small screen. I have no idea what the visual texture is like on the handle :D

Oh well. I bought it for the blade, not so much for the handle. From the small version of the photo that I could see, I was thinking flipping it around to use ironwood for the handle and the micarta for the ferrule would have been nicer. However, I figure that didn't sense cost-wise for Murray at that price for a 240.

Except for the spacer, too busy for my tastes, I think the textured handle looks way cool. I like satin (matte in the pottery world) finishes vs. shiny too. A small silver spacer would have been sweet, but I'm sure it would have jacked up the price quite a bit. Looking forward to vid's and reviews.

I just visited to see what the deal was and they're sold out. I guess it's a good deal for a carter 240mm, but I'm not a fan of that handle. Not at all.:puke:

This is exactly why I didn't get one. I was totally planning on it and I got to it in time to place the order, but I just didn't like the look of the thing. It also didn't look quite as tall as I like my gyutos to be.

I guess I'll just have to make do with the Shiggy Marko's rehandling for me. One Gyuto $450+ is probably enough for a home cook like me anyway.

Added it to my basket but just couldn't pull the trigger, not sure if I regret not getting one....

I finally looked at the image on a regular monitor, and I gotta say I'm okay with the handle. It's not my favorite handle ever, but I think it's alright. It certainly isn't going to keep me from using the knife in front of others :D

crap, sorry I fell behind on reading the forums. Seems like a good deal for the blade, even if handle is not exactly attractive.

Well, it isn't exactly the handle of my dreams, but I still like it. Man you guys are hard to please :p

Man you guys are hard to please :p

We've been spoiled by Fish, Stefan, Adam, Dave and Marko.
:notworthy:
Wait till you see some of what Adam is currently doing too, he keeps trying to raise the bar.:headbang:

We're the aftermarket car-part crowd of the knife world.

Wow. I have *never* had a package come across the border this quickly. My Carter just arrived! Woohoo!

The handle looks much nicer in-person than it does in the photo. It's not too busy at all. The visual texture on the micarta is quite matte and subtle unless you stick your face a few inches from the handle. Since we're talking aftermarket car parts, it has a carbon fibre look to it much more than a corded look. I think the photo really brought out the details more sharply than what you'd see in-person.

From visual inspection alone, I like the "flat-ish" edge profile. There's a gentle curvature almost all the way through, but there's a good 2-3" flat section starting about an inch from the heel.

Balances right in front of the ferrule. It feels oddly blade-heavy even though the balance point is right behind my thumb on a pinch grip. Still feels nice, though, and I'm keen to try out the knife :)

Spine's been eased, but the choil hasn't. I'm gonna have to smooth things out a bit there or my middle-finger isn't gonna be too happy.

This is my first, and probably gonna be my only, Carter knife and I have to say I'm quite happy with it on first inspection. I think it's gonna be a nice knife to use :

Len - I have to agree - with everything in your post, and now I have to wonder... how many of these went to Canada? Good to see my addiction can be shared locally... now I just wish we'd have a bloody knife show up here where we all live in igloos, every second word is "Eh" and our woman walk around with tight t-shirts to get us our Canadian beer

....here where we all live in igloos, every second word is "Eh" and our woman walk around with tight t-shirts to get us our Canadian beer

Sounds like I should move if it weren't so bloody cold... :D

I have a bunch of Carter knives and think they are excellent performers. The way his prices have developed in recent years, this knife seems like an excellent deal.

Stefan

Stella Artois was handing out free, full-sized bottles outside my subway station yesterday :D Don't worry Stefan, that doesn't happen every day (yet ;) ).

I've noticed that there's a fair number of us knifeknuts up here in Canada.

So far we know where 5 of the 10 Carter special 240s went, and 2 of them came up here.

Slightly better pics of the handle, sorry for the artificial light.

11ab3d3c.jpg

67e3f309.jpg

Rick

weird.

Ok so how is the blade? Up to the usual standards? I don't know anyone that buys Carter for a nice handle anyway.

Blade is typical High Grade Carter, except that, as noted elsewhere, the ricasso/choil area was not smoothed.

The profile is almost identical to the DT ITK 240 in 52100, that is, just a tad larger than most 240 wa-gyutos like the Tadatsuna or Konosuke. Length of the edge is 242 mm.

Not a lightweight, either, at 223 g.

Rick

Dang Rick It's almost like you stole it compared to his current pricing for a blade like that. Congrats. I really need to try one of these one day.

I like the handles. The blades are Carter functional. The finish sucks.

Back