SS clad blue with good "hamon activity"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my new kurosaki looks kinda nice but its quite far away from the hiromoto I'd say. and I have no intention flat grinding and mirror polishing the kurosaki. I like it the way it is now, black.

kurosaki_clad.jpg

my new kurosaki looks kinda nice but its quite far away from the hiromoto I'd say. and I have no intention flat grinding and mirror polishing the kurosaki. I like it the way it is now, black.

I love my kurosaki but that cladding is at the edge?

Inferno, Make sure the honyaki with stainless cladding has a stainless tang is a full tang construction, that's first. Take a look at the GEHEI they have a blue 2 stainless clad with a super sweeet hamon, and the stainless tang like i mentioned. Second I would say the black is cool looking but it will soon wear off when that happens flat grinding is the way to go but at some point, your going to want it wide to achieve that "quite beefy blade behind the edge. no lazorz" So again that Gehei probably works for you. It indefinably will use up a lot of your kasumi stone finish when you make sure your hamon and do it with fingerstones after with your kasumi stone finishing stone just to get the most out of the edge. - Hope this helps.

***, this thread makes no sense. If op wants a knife like in original post, buy a used Hiromoto AS and send it too Dave Martell... he'll give you exactly that...but you still won't have a hamon.

:scared4:

Inzite, if your gets gets too thin i think there is more useable steel past the hamon (or in this case the black), but i havent taken a stone or knife that far to test it out. Do you know?

i suggest op grind it on a atoma 140 to see!

***, this thread makes no sense. If op wants a knife like in original post, buy a used Hiromoto AS and send it too Dave Martell... he'll give you exactly that...but you still won't have a hamon.

:scared4:

i suggest op grind it on a atoma 140 to see!

but only the spine, you can see if its accessible steel that way as well.

Inzite, did you get dave martell to re-do your Hiromoto honyaki the non-stainless one. (bolster stainless) ... is the tang stainless? maybe that would be a reason its expensive than some others. (stainless Hamoned version )

Inzite, did you get dave martell to re-do your Hiromoto honyaki the non-stainless one. (bolster stainless) ... is the tang stainless? maybe that would be a reason its expensive than some others. (stainless Hamoned version )

tang itself is carbon, just bolster is stainless.

and no dave martell would have threw me to the back of the line forver because i would email all the time.

I hope OP has good of options to consider - wunderbar and cheese for days.

yeah i didnt want someone to show up at my door for a challenge so I asked Graydon to kindly make me some beautiful handles.

I think (sorta educated guess from experience) that the look you want in the original post is because it was thinned (before etching) ,rather than hand forged to upset clad, amd you may not want thinning since you're after a chunky edge. Ask Dave, as he's the one who did the knife in the first post I think.

No he didn't! Dave makes them much prettier :D

Martell is good but not even he can put the lamination line on top.

"dogs breakfast" - that's going into the lexicon:cool2:

yeah i didnt want someone to show up at my door for a challenge so I asked Graydon to kindly make me some beautiful handles.

For the record it was someone else challenging me at my doorstep. I don't travel. :)

Back on topic....

Doesn't Jon have a line of blue steel stainless clad knives with a cool lamination line?

I think Ikazuchi but can't blow up the image on his site to see...blue super actually.

many knife maker can make stainless cladding, it's pretty simple to do.

from the knifemakers i've spoken with in japan, they have indicated that on a small scale, it can be done (by welding around the edges to create an anerobic environment). In larger scale production it requires inert gases, high pressure, or a combination thereof. There is also the issue of dealing with galvanic reaction.

I think Ikazuchi but can't blow up the image on his site to see...blue super actually.

yeah... i wish i had a better picture of it after some use or even etching (as they dont come that way), but it looks pretty similar to what the hiromoto AS used to

I've been searching the entire web for a new in box hiromoto AS clad. but these seems to be long long gone. this guy really made some good starting material for this effect imo.

just look at these stainless "damascus" knives. I think he did the same hammering on the regular non damascus ones (or at least thats my hypothesis).
HiromotoDamascusSantoku180.JPG

HiromotoDamascusFinalGyuto210mm.JPG

OP if you have deep pockets, look at closer look at sakai takayuki ginsan3...
they may do something in non-stainless core

20161005_d4c2f8.jpg

[the banned site has a nice/better pic but cannot show it here]

It at least needs to be non stainless for the blade steel otherwise there will be no contrast after the etch I think. But yeah I will look into those (they make a large number of knife lines though).

OP, I literally have no idea what your asking for.

From what I can tell, the OP is looking for a San Mai knife with a cladding line that looks more wavy than usual, somewhat like the look of a typical (actual) hamon which would be nearer the spine. Most cladding lines aren't that irregular, or with an intentional pattern like a real hamon, so it's going to limit the options.

The AS clad Hiro that is still sought after was a very average knife Had one. Then I didn't.

But it looked really good after the spa treatments... :)

I have no problem sharpening/thinning/maintaining whatever my knives.

Back