SS clad blue with good "hamon activity"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can tell, the OP is looking for a San Mai knife with a cladding line that looks more wavy than usual, somewhat like the look of a typical (actual) hamon which would be nearer the spine. Most cladding lines aren't that irregular, or with an intentional pattern like a real hamon, so it's going to limit the options.

EXACTLY!

At least 1 person in the thread could decipher what I wrote. yay :)

Just to add to the confusion, some hamons aren't wavy (like Watanabe).

I simply tried to make myself as difficult to understand as possible for native english speakers, you know, with the pics and all.

yeaaaaaa could have just said u want a knife with a wild clad line. no jamons.

I think I read recently (from Jon?) that most makers are using pre-cladded stock for San Mai knives. No control over the look of the lamination line in that case. You'd have to find a smith doing their own lamination and intentionally varying the line. Or you might find it once in a while with a high-volume maker doing it for visual effect, like Shun:

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/premier-7-in.-santoku

BTW, my wife uses that knife, and the lamination line is pretty crazy. A little TOO crazy, because in one small spot, a dimple from the line extends all the way to the blade edge. Doesn't affect the cutting enough to worry about, but it's a little annoying. So watch out for "active" lamination that's a little to close to the cutting edge.

so please recommend a wild jamon line ss clad knife! its a complete jungle to plow through all brands and lines. and trust me I have spent some serious time on this.

one good thing came out if it though, I can now spot if its ss clad or iron by just looking at the pics when no such info is given in the specs.
With a very high accuracy.

Well, pre-clad blades can be ground to have a wavy lamination line so there's that wrench in the proverbial spokes.

so please recommend a wild jamon line ss clad knife! its a complete jungle to plow through all brands and lines. and trust me I have spent some serious time on this.

one good thing came out if it though, I can now spot if its ss clad or iron by just looking at the pics when no such info is given in the specs.

Ikazuchi

Well, pre-clad blades can be ground to have a wavy lamination line so there's that wrench in the proverbial spokes.

most things can be done of course. I have feeling all these knives are pre clad at a real mass production plant because of the difficulty (effort in/money gained ratio) in making clad stock. they are probably simply just worked differently when the smith gets them. I wouldnt be surprised if hiromoto just used the run of the mill standards takefu special steel stock but hammered them pretty on all his damascu blades.

And there is nothing wrong with that, his damascus is among the prettiest out there imo.

My SS clad Carter is somewhat wavy but it was thinned by JKI. I know very little about knife making, but My understanding is Carter forges to final shape, so presumably if forceful enough there would be additional "topography" if thinned acutely enough (I think lol)

My SS clad Carter is somewhat wavy but it was thinned by JKI. I know very little about knife making, but My understanding is Carter forges to final shape, so presumably if forceful enough there would be additional "topography" if thinned acutely enough (I think lol)

how much do the carters cost? is there a waiting period?

Perhaps one by Salem Straub of Prometheus Knives? Or is the lamination line too wild?

IMG_0582.jpg

It at least needs to be non stainless for the blade steel otherwise there will be no contrast after the etch I think. But yeah I will look into those (they make a large number of knife lines though).
Ginsan etches just fine
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?t=32480 Ever wonder if ginsan will etch?

Back