Stainless gyuto (210/225) advice for a friend

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right-handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm – 225 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$250 (do not need a saya)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home, daily use.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
This will be an upgrade to “better knives”

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
N/A

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rocking and Push Cuts

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Upgrade to what they have (likely cheap German)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
“Pretty” factor prefered as this will be a gift to their spouse (not a deal breaker though).

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
No strong preferences

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Stainless, all around use

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Bamboo and wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
I will be sharpening his knives as he needs so no issue.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Needs to meet both functional and “pretty” requirements if at all possible … apparently it is a gift for his spouse …

If there is a 6” petty that is in the same family I will likely buy this for them to add to their starting kit …

Thx All - all the suggests are likely great for this but after checking most sites (JKI + J&S primarily) a significant number (210's) are just sold out. Going to reach out to Jon and James to see what is likely to be re-stocked.

I have several of Jon's so would love to point him in that direction but TBD.

Forgot about the Zwilling Kramer's - so thanks for that reminder / will probably send him a d & octagonal knife to see if the handle style works for her ... I really like Suisin Inox as well so if the handles make sense that could work will check out the westerns as well.

Again - thx for the input very much appreciated. I know we all love spending other peoples money so new I could get help here ;-)

Back