Start of the wood milling.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to show a pic of the locust...Got a few burls off it, had them slabbed at 1 1/2 thick, and have like 17 boards i still need to get worked out.
2011-06-12_19-29-03_996.jpg

2011-06-12_19-29-12_782.jpg

2011-06-12_19-29-23_950.jpg

Once i get this all chopped up(after Del gets his of course) I will be sending batches out for stabilization.....Scared at the cost of all that lol...

Anyway...enjoy

Here are a few more pics....
2011-07-08_01-02-41_903.jpg

2011-07-08_01-06-38_949.jpg

2011-07-08_01-03-50_692.jpg

And that's just the Locust! Maple drops in a couple weeks and goes straight onto the mill...doing that at 1 1/2 thick also. Just tried the new bandsaw....Scales shouldn't be any problem.

Mike
You are now officially a hard core wood junky.
When you start cruising the area looking for unusual wood to cut up, you are beyond any chance of recovery.
I'd even bet you point out trees in people's yards and ask yourself "I wonder if they would sell that tree?"
I am speaking from experience.
Up until about 6 years ago I used to have a good paying job and the other trappings of a successful career.
Now look what I have become. Just some old guy in a hippie town pushing wood to support my habit.

HAHAHA! Mark, you are 110% correct! I stop at people's houses about once a week....I now have 7 more trees to get cut up. I am out to the garage tonight to get some more of this stuff blocked up, I will get you a couple pieces in the mail....should be about 4-6% MC and you can see how you like it....Has a pretty natural lemon to honey coloration. Maple hits the mill next..maybe i can do the 2 maples and all the box elder on the same day....we shall see.

Mike
You are now officially a hard core wood junky.
When you start cruising the area looking for unusual wood to cut up, you are beyond any chance of recovery.
I'd even bet you point out trees in people's yards and ask yourself "I wonder if they would sell that tree?"
I am speaking from experience.
Up until about 6 years ago I used to have a good paying job and the other trappings of a successful career.
Now look what I have become. Just some old guy in a hippie town pushing wood to support my habit.
Isnt that the truth, I went through a huge burl hunt phase. I ended up with mostly cherry burls and spalted maple. The last cherry burl I found was at a flea market. They were bull dozing it out for parking space. This was the biggest burl I have found. It is about 4 ft high with a girth of 3ft++ or so. It looks like a snowman. I always stop at construction site and ask to go through their cut wood piles- had some luck there. Now I cant help but to spot burls,crotches or wood thats been sitting on the ground for awhile. Its lots of fun, but can get consuming at times, thats why I had to slow it down ( me wife).lol Now when i find something, I let it sit in a nice dry cool place till whenever- compared to when I use to get the burls, I would cut them up with a week..Mike those are amazingly gorgeous!!!! Isnt it fun!!!! Thanks for sharing the photos-Mark

Eamon, here in Florida, you need a permit to cut down any live oak that is considered a "grandfather' oak. The funny part is that my parents leave on Davis Island in Tampa which is mostly bay bottom spoil fill from when the moved the port dowtown in the teens and dredged a channel. They have turned two other big spoil bank islands into bird sanctuaries. My folks house is one of the oldest on the island and it was built in 1926. They have two "permitted" trees and they were both planted by the developer in the 20's because the land that the sit on didn't exist prior to around 1914. Crazy that the government says that you can't even trim branches larger than a certain diameter off of your house plants without a permit. LOL Out east of Tampa, we still do have a lot of true granfather oaks, but those are tres that are as much as 500 years old and they have HUGE 8-10 foot wide trunks with hollows and splits from where they have been hit by lightning over the centuries. Wild looking trees that don't get much taller, just wider from top to bottom. The odd thing about the tree huggers is that they will never admit that the Eastern United States is actually more heavily forested now than it was in 1900 and with the expception of some forests in the Smoky Mountains area and maybe some other hard to get to areas way up in places like the Northern Kingdom area in Vermont, it is almost all second growth and a lot of it has been planted by us. As amatterof fact, in places where we have planted hardwoods like Live Oaks, we have bypassed at least 500 years of "evolution" for lack of a better term and gone straight to late growth deciduous hardwood forest. .
In the town I grew up in, Live Oak trees are the name of the game, and they are strong, stumpy, old trees. If you want to cut one down that's bigger than 2" in diameter, you need a permit. Over 12? No permit. There are houses built around the trees.

Except for Wal-mart. They had the law temporarily repealed and bulldozed about 15 acres so they could build a bigger wally world right next door to the old one. Nice fellas.

That burl is amazing, it boggles me that wood really just *grows* like this!

Did somebody give Binanti bath salts because he just brought this thread back from the dead!!!

Good news is, I forgot about this thread, but now its almost been a year so this wood should be pretty dry so.....when do we see some for sale?

I'm glad he Zombie'd the thread, I dunno how I missed this thread the first time around!!

Hahahahaha I had a few blocks up for sale. I have quite a few, maybe i will list a few :)

Oh, just so you know the wood is sitting around 8% MC so it is definitely dry.

I have a 30# box of Hard Maple, some spalted, some curly, some kinda feathery, sitting waiting to dry out fully. And I already started looking for more burls at work. Even have my Lt. at work looking for burls on the way to calls for me! It's fun being a burl junkie!

Mike! Make me some natural wood kiln dried steak plates! Those natural wood cross sections look just the ticket!

Back