Stefan's Stefan Keller's Knife Collection Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi KKF,
I need to talk to you about Stefan Keller, "Das HandleMeister"

Some information about Stefan....

Stefan came into our community around the time (15 yrs ago - ish?) that Fish n' Poi (the man who brought us the re-handling Japanese knives business model) was at the height of his handle making game so Stefan wasn't the first to do rehandle work yet he picked up where Fish left off and began making his own style of handle, the style that we've come to know (and love) as the western style wa handle. He was, as far as I know, the very first person in the world to make wa handles in this style and certainly the first to standardize the look/shape/size (of both the octagonal and D-shape) and to sell them to the public. You can't turn on Instagram, Facebook, or any knife forum anywhere today without seeing an example of his designs being copied and emulated, which speaks volumes to both his genius and craftsmanship. He has literally given birth to an entire cottage industry and this is something worth being known for! This all done outside of his normal day job where he's a college (psych) professor, most recently living just outside of Philly while teaching at Temple University.

Stefan has been a long time member here at KKF (apicius9), and before that KF, also a vendor (here at KKF) and avid kitchen knife collector for many years....and has quite the collection to show for it! He's been a good friend, as well as colleague/supporter, of mine for as long as I've known him.

Now for the bad news......

Stefan has unfortunately been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has metastasized and is ineligible (because of liver condition) to receive chemotherapy. He was diagnosed late and has been given only a short time (as in months). Just a couple of weeks ago his friends made it possible for him to return to his native Germany to be with his parents and brother. Currently he is in hospital with plans to move into hospice shortly. We remain hopeful that a miracle becomes available for him soon.

To the point of this post....

Being that Stefan and I have a good relationship, one fostered through working together on handle sales/installs for many years, he asked me to manage the sale of some of his possessions, most notably his knife collection & accessories. We both agreed that KKF would be the best place to get the maximum exposure to the people who would appreciate the gems he has gathered as well as to get the maximum amount of $$$ possible to go towards his care and then ultimately to his family.

I've spoken to the mod team about this matter and they've given us the approval to sell Stefan's collection, but since it's a one off special case that has many items to be included, they've come up with a system to make this go smoothly.

Stefan's good friend Dianne, a local Philly lady, is his estate's executor and will be handling all financial matters where I will be handling the knives directly.

His collection is made up of many old hard to find and unique knives mostly all having custom handles of either his own making or commissioned work by several great knifemakers. As many of you may know, Stefan was a HUGE fan of koa (being a resident of HI for years helped this along) so expect to see this reflected in the handle materials used. ;)

So for now I'll leave this here and we can discuss the details of the sales in the weeks to come.

Thanks to the mods/admins for their help here, it's greatly appreciated!

Dave

Last edited:
Very sad to hear this. I remember many foodie discussions with Stefan while he was living in Honolulu.

Hospice is heartbreaking, been through it twice.
Best wishes to the family, and very nice of you to do this for them.
D.

So kind of you to help Stefan and his family. Glad the moderators are on board, I’d imagine Stefan would prefer his collection lives on with KKF members and will definitely maximize its financial potential for his and his families benefit.

Will the sale be through a dedicated thread or on the BST ? Will the sale be in installments or all at once?

Last edited:
...I’d imagine Stefan would prefer his collection lives on with KKF members and will definitely maximize its financial potential for he and his families benefit.

He very much knew that his knives could only be appreciated by the people here. Although he had gifted some to his friends already he made sure to put aside the ones that had deep ties to this community, those he wanted to remain as something special.

Will the sale be through a dedicated thread or on the BST ? Will the sale be in installments or all at once?

I believe that I'll make individual sale threads for each knife except where there are multiples of the same type. These threads will be made here in this sub-forum.

Wow sad news. I'm so sorry to hear.

Stephan, I meet you once at the Philly Knife Gathering 10+ years ago.

I have one of your handles on my one favorite knife, Watanabe nakiri. I remember how shocked I was when you told me you were making the handles in the bedroom of you apartment in Honolulu.

I pray for your comfort during this time.

Stefan, I wish you peace. Your contribution to the establishment of the tone and camaraderie of KKF was nothing short of a foundational cornerstone. Your craftsmanship will forever stand as a pinnacle of taste and refinement to those that follow.

Dave, I can only imagine this is very difficult for you right now. It is a testament to your character and commitment to this community that you have taken this on. Thank you.

It’s fitting that you’re bringing his personal collection to this forum. I did not know Stefan, but a part of him will live on through his craft, especially with aficionados who feel something greater than the object itself.

I was just typing a response to an email I received regarding Stefan and it occurred to me that I should share something with you folks.....

When Stefan was handing over his knives to me I was making notes as fast as I could write them while he was talking and showing me things about each one. Stefan had a story to tell about each knife and it wasn't just steel type/handle material/etc, it was all sorts of things as if he had a real connection to these objects. It was clear to me that these weren't just knives, simple cutting tools, but much more to him. Since I had left my reading glasses at home I wasn't sure exactly what I was scribbling down in my note book (and it shows) but I did capture some of these things he talked about and I'll be sure to share them along with each knife as I list them. I want to pass along the knife's history as well as Stefan's thoughts too.

And speaking of listings, I hope to get the ball rolling soon with a couple of items, and see how this goes. I've just got some of my work to get done before I can stop for a break and do this stuff, can't fall too (or rather - more) behind.

Dave

Dave,
Thanks so much for your hard work on this. Although the circumstances are awful, you are helping Stefan and his loved ones at a very difficult time. In addition, your efforts to help these special knives find new homes where they will be truly appreciated is a tremendous service to the members of this community. I'm hoping to become a steward of one (or more) of these knives that have a rich connection to Stefan and his contributions to this community. I'm sure the fortunate new owners will treasure these in a way that respects the care that was put into them.

The admins (thanks guys/gals!) have re-opened (for read only) Stefan's vendor sub-forum so that we can view his work. I just spent the last hour (or so) reading his gallery thread and what a great read that was to once again see all those handles, knives, and past members posting! 😎

The forum can be viewed HERE

Back