Stefan's Stefan Keller's Knife Collection Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first met Stefan back on KF. He is one of the nicest individuals that I have ever met on any forum. He pioneered a lot of things about handle making and installation, but he always shared that knowledge openly even to the point of exposing some of the disappointments and failures that formed his experience. He was always willing to answer open forum or PM questions with his typical patient, kind and humble demeanour. The handles he made are not just about excellent craftsmanship and materials. They are the embodiment of an egoless pursuit to be better. I don’t know what else Stefan did in life but I’m sure he excelled at it. Best wishes to Stefan and his family.

I was going to post up a few more today but we got rain which spoiled my picture taking opportunity. If it's nice tomorrow I'll post then.

Wondering what's up next?

How about some BNIB (completely untouched - never used!) Hiromoto AS knives!?!? 😎

Last edited:
Before anymore PM's come in about this...

I don't have a (complete) inventory of every item Stefan has given me to sell. I have notes on many of the knives but that's all. I could spend a few hours going through all the boxes and make a list of what's here but there's still going to be so much research that needs to be done for pricing, etc beyond that. I can't just stop working and do this sale full time, it's a part time, when I can get to it, sort of thing.

Thanks for your understanding!

Dave

Wow, Stefan and I were friends and I met him when I was in Hawaii about 10 years ago. Him and I spoke a lot, but I haven't been on Facebook for 5 years, so that broke our communication. Dave, while I'm unemployed now, I am sure I can find funds for him.

Wait...Is he in Philly? I live pretty close to there.

Wow, Stefan and I were friends and I met him when I was in Hawaii about 10 years ago. Him and I spoke a lot, but I haven't been on Facebook for 5 years, so that broke our communication. Dave, while I'm unemployed now, I am sure I can find funds for him.

Wait...Is he in Philly? I live pretty close to there.

He's over in Germany now, in hospice care, without internet.

I'm sorry to say that our friend Stefan has passed away this morning at 7:35 (our time in the US). He left this world peacefully, surrounded by his loving family. :(
Very, very sad. RIP Stefan.
I was dealing with Stefan way before I joined here. He was always so kind and open with his knowledge. A true gent. It was always nice to send a quick email and get a few paragraph response and then dive into a conversation for the night. I enjoyed these conversations, which often ranged past knives (including his convertible which was always limping its way around Hawaii).
He was generous as well. I have a few handles from him and they were what he called "seconds"--I still struggle to find the faults he saw. He had a keen eye for detail to say the least :) Once I traded him a big box of german food from a local market for a handle--he was hard up for German food in Hawaii and I imagined him snack on landjaeger, drinking a cold beer, thinking he got the better part of the bargain... I never could find the specific pickled red cabbage he really missed though...
We never talked about his work, but I have no doubt that he will be missed by his students and that he made an impact on them. Such a kind man. My sincerest condolences to his family.

RIP...
i never net him, but talked to him a few times regarding custom handles. He made one of the most outstanding handles i have ever seen and is mostly the reason why i'm trying to have custom handles on my knives.
Unfortunately he was in HI and i in Germany, so it never happened that i got one made by him as it simply was nonsense to send it back and forth.
Hopefully he will be in a better place now and his familiy will find peace of mind.

Last night I spoke with Dianne (Stefan's estate executor) who has been in communication with a mutual friend in Germany that visited Stefan in hospice and she said that he passed in his sleep, very peacefully, with his family by his side.

Dianne also mentioned that she found even more(!) knives in his basement along with some empty knife boxes and some sharpening stones. The empty boxes likely go with some of the knives that we're selling but since we're not going to have the boxes with the knives for a few months time if I find that a knife sold beforehand, without a box, I'll be sure to forward the box along when I get it.

I do not know how I missed this thread. I reached out to Stefan not many months ago because I found his work and admired it. Wanted to know whether he would get into making again. He was so very kind in the response and was hoping to do it in the future. ****ing hell.

Back