Stefan's Stefan's Handle Gallery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What, only because he pays cash instead of wood? :eek:hmy: :wink: Just kidding, of course...

Stefan

Here is Dave's knives, something a little different here. :smile1:

P1010006.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010013.jpg

p1010001.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010009.jpg

p1010007.jpg

Oh that ironwood handle is something after my own heart.

Stefan, That ironwood handle is outrageous, beautiful, elegant, gorgeous, its perfect!!! I can only aspire to someday make a handle half that beautiful.

Stefan, That ironwood handle is outrageous, beautiful, elegant, gorgeous, its perfect!!! I can only aspire to someday make a handle half that beautiful.

I guess I should not have sold it for a 'special' price then ;) Naah, it's really not that complicated, and there is always luck involved, you never know how a piece of wood will turn out.

Dave, nope, the handle here is a 'plain' ironwood piece with a nice color, just a good quality. What I sent you is ironwood burl, at least two steps above this one here. I don't remember whether it was called exhibition grade or not. But it has some very nice dark lines in addition to the burl, that should make some great Western handles.

Stefan

Just taking a short break right now, I am covered in saw dust... Mixed results so far today, not happy with a few of the ones I am working on. We'll see... But I am working on the mother of all ironwood handles :biggrin2: Not ready for showing, yet, but it should be done next weekend.

Stefan

I didn't even recognize the wee beasties!

Thanks guys for your hard (and ocd driven) work. :wink:

If I can ever figure out how to work my camera & upload pics, I'll have to post a Stefan/Dave collaborative effort gallery!

Dave/Stefan,

I received the knives and couldn't be happier - they look even better in person. Great job guys! They are so nice that I almost hate to use them but knives are made to be used and use them I shall.

Thanks much -
Nolan

Looks like the size worked out well on this one. I hope Rio will like it...

Stefan

Stefan, what woods are these?

The handle is more rustic piece of koa, the ferrule is red mallee burl, and there is a mammoth tooth piece at the end. I had originally hoped for more contrast between the mallee and the koa, but it turned out that the mallee had some sapwood that I had not noticed while it was still covered with resin. But I thought it felt really nice in the hand.

Stefan

The handle feels great and even though the woods are similar they go well together. I would have never guessed the main piece to be koa but then again I'm no wood expert.

attachment.php

That's what I love about koa, it comes in so many different shades and patterns. I thought this more rustic piece here might go well with the knife, especially once it has started some patina. O.k., I am off to the shop now or it will get too late...

Stefan

Thank you Dave n Stefan :). You guys always do wonderful job. Can't wait to use it though.

That looks great, I can't wait to get it in my hands! :)

Nice looking knife, I like the lines of the blade, very clean. I hope you will have fun with it, Kyle,

Stefan

Damn, Dave! I didn't know you were doing honyaki knives for your first run! Nice engraving. Can't wait to see mine! :rofl2:

Seriously, beautiful work! :thumbsup:

Back