Stone Findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posting some @cotedupy bait…. Norton presentation rack with most stones, including, wait for it, two rosy red washita.

Thank me later. Your wallet won’t, obviously…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1347544435...udCvMgeSKe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I saw that one too. It didn't get any bites at an opening offer of $2100US so they reduced it to $1400. Pretty crazy piece of sharpening history. If it was all tiny boxes with triangles on them I am sure @cotedupy would be all over it. :p

You thinking about a second mortgage? Seems pretty tempting !
I'm a little income challenged at the moment. But I do have a place where it would look real nice!

PXL_20231004_183901921.jpg

The JKI 800 is a nice little stone. Not machinist flat out of the box but good enough. I only noticed on a plane iron. Easy enough to dress with sic powder.

I found it nice for cleaning up razors that need a coarse stone to remove edge damage. The consistent shallow scratches are fairly easy to remove when you bridge the gap between a 400 grit hogging stone, and a 1000 grit, which is a typical bevel setting Stone.

JNS are selling some stones purportedly from the Kato's personal collection. Anyone else confused that the stone apparently used for the testing is not the same as that offered for sale. Example. Can't see the lighting making that much difference
stones.jpg

Yep, between the surface of the stone being wet versus dry and a change of lighting, how a stone looks in photos could easily change that much
I was actually focused on the 2nd photo of the stone which is wet. Whetting usually darkens stones rather than lighten them. But if Maksim says its the same I will assume it is.

Has Kato ever sent a knife out with a finish done on benchstones?

Back