Stone Findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20231121_063616_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
@Tekkz , we'll only know for sure if you buy one! 😄😄

I'm curious, so i sent Miura (and also Shapton) an email asking if it was "identical material". Will post reply. If it is, it's interesting they'd double the material in exchange for the glass, and offer that at a lesser price, as the Glass series has such huge market share already. Perhaps the glass+ mounting process is costly, and changing allows for a better profit margin??? All speculation on my part. Will post their response.

Last edited:
Shapton got back to me. To summarize:
RockStar and GlassStone are the same; RockStar is thicker and does not have backing.
Japanese retail RS product has printed graphics, overseas/US retail models will not. RockStar series available from US retailers est. 1-2 months. It's Splash-n-Go, white alumina. Fancy option comes with a stainless case.

Last edited:
@Tekkz , we'll only know for sure if you buy one! 😄😄

I'm curious, so i sent Miura (and also Shapton) an email asking if it was "identical material". Will post reply. If it is, it's interesting they'd double the material in exchange for the glass, and offer that at a lesser price, as the Glass series has such huge market share already. Perhaps the glass+ mounting process is costly, and changing allows for a better profit margin??? All speculation on my part. Will post their response.
I wouldn't think the glass part of the GS is nearly as expensive doubling the abrasive portion. My guess is this is an attempt by Shapton to entice Japanese buyers to buy into their resinoid stone line, by proposing a more familiar form factor (i.e no glass backing), and an abrasive thickness less radically reduced from what Japanese buyers were accustomed to.

I would expect that that parrying Nanohone market penetration with a line of 10mm thick stones must count in their plans, also.

I think your assumption that this new line must increase Shapton's profit margin compared to the GS line is flawed. I think this is move to increase sales volume & market share, albeit with slimmer profits.

Griffith shaving goods has some NOS Dalmore Blue, 50$, which seems like a fair price. They also have larger boxed ones too.

I've never used one, but they seem interesting enough to give a try.

I have had a few Dalmores and several similar sandstones like Queer Creek. I don't find them particularly useful for much of anything. They are too coarse to leave much of a nice edge but not fast enough to do coarse cutting. And too scratchy for polishing.

I have had a few Dalmores and several similar sandstones like Queer Creek. I don't find them particularly useful for much of anything. They are too coarse to leave much of a nice edge but not fast enough to do coarse cutting. And too scratchy for polishing.
It’s a really pretty natural sharpening paper weight.

BOOOOO!!!!

Sort yer opinions out you two, yh. Dalmores are excellent for both sharpening and polishing. One of the great underrated knife stones!

Queer Creek are feckin terrible, but let’s not lump decent Sand/Siltstones in with them.

BOOOOO!!!!

Sort yer opinions out you two, yh. Dalmores are excellent for both sharpening and polishing. One of the great underrated knife stones!

Queer Creek are feckin terrible, but let’s not lump decent Sand/Siltstones in with them.

I actually have one in the simple green now I have had for months but haven't tried yet. I don't really polish anything but I'll give it a shot touching up some edges and see if I like this one better than the other ones I've had.

BOOOOO!!!!

You know what. Fine. FINE. It’s F***KING FINE. Sure I’ll sharpen for fun on a holiday to avoid my extended family (probably after a few beers). I’ll sharpen just to satisfy your curiosity. Why not. What’s the worst that could happen? I fall for this mica encrusted piece of Glaswegian cobblestone and take it off my naughty list and then have even more emotional problems letting go of some of my too-large stone hoard? Why not. Challenge accepted *beeeeelch*

IMG_5858.jpeg

You know what. Fine. FINE. It’s F***KING FINE. Sure I’ll sharpen for fun on a holiday to avoid my extended family (probably after a few beers). I’ll sharpen just to satisfy your curiosity. Why not. What’s the worst that could happen? I fall for this mica encrusted piece of Glaswegian cobblestone and take it off my naughty list and then have even more emotional problems letting go of some of my too-large stone hoard? Why not. Challenge accepted *beeeeelch*

View attachment 289546
Unhinged. I love it. I can feel the cabin fever from here!

A RockStar customers review from cktg:
"I bought the 4k Rock Star and it’s very similar to the 4k Glass Stone, but there are some differences.
- If they maintain the price point, these are an exceptional value
- There’s no glass backing, but we’ve been gluing synths to tiles and glass for years
- The 4k Rock star is rated at 3u, the 4k GS is rated at 3.68u
- It’s recommended on the Shapton site to soak the stone for 5-6 minutes before use to improve the feel. I’ve always left water on my glass stones for a few minutes before honing."

Cktg just uploaded some rockstars, not sure if other US retailers have. If they really are shapton glass equivalents, that's quite good value
I ordered the 500 grit and will report back... per the write-up it's a slightly different particle size than SG500 (25 vs 29.4 microns I think) so maybe think of it as a SG600 equivalent if one existed. I don't actually have an SG500 to compare to but I think it'll fit in well between my SP320 and Gesshin 1k regardless.

Back