suehiro cerax stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they arrived. sigma is really really coarse, cerax looks pretty smooth. stu says the cerax is thirsty and likes light pressure vs sigma is not so thirsty and likes lots of pressure, both only need a quick soak.

all low grit stones dish fast. soft or hard, in my experience. infact, i think pretty much every low grit stone ive ever used(300 grit and lower) more or less sucks to use, but doesnt suck as bad as diamond stones. lesser of 2 evils, no?

The Shapton Pro 320 resists dishing very well. I like it a lot, and it feels a lot better to use than a diamond stone, that's for sure.

i have a shap320, while it doesn't dish fast, it also doesn't cut very fast either. i had on loan a jns 300 which had nice feedback and dish resistant, but also not aggressive enough. i'm thinking it really does need to be soft to cut fast and dishing is the price you gotta pay.

i have a shap320, while it doesn't dish fast, it also doesn't cut very fast either. i had on loan a jns 300 which had nice feedback and dish resistant, but also not aggressive enough. i'm thinking it really does need to be soft to cut fast and dishing is the price you gotta pay.

It's certainly not a super fast stone, for sure. It's a lot easier to remove steel than put it back, though, so the stone being a little slow is fine by me, most of the time.

i dont remind my shapton pro 320 beeing any slow. its much faster then the chocera 400 i think. but i feel it dishes fast ;)

Panda whats taking you so long? Hurry up and thin some knives so we can hear about how those new stones are working out for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last kick was aotos, not sure where he stands now, but he's good about checking in...I'm kind of curious myself.

Panda; I would love to hear about the sigma 240 as I have been eyeing it as a medium between sandpaper 180 and the stones for thinning and reshaping knives ...
Cheers

i have passed the sigma along, havent heard back on their opinion on it.

my kit consists of the following:

thinning: - suehiro cerax 320 (the only synthetic i use)
coarse - natsuya around 600 grit
medium - ikarashi around 1.5k grit
finisher - vintage aoto around 5k grit

at work, as a 'beater touch-up stone' i use suehiro new cerax 1000/3000 combo stone i found on ebay. good value, this thing is great even comes with a stand. it feels kind of rubbery, but not awful either, decent speed.

i'm trying to find another finishing stone, closer to 3k grit, most likely a red aoto. i love the blue aoto, but i feel i would be even happier with slightly less refinement. yet i dont want to sacrifice feedback and/or speed.

But one. Bravo, my man! :cool2:

Incidentally - and I'm saying this because I think we have some similar tastes - I've ordered a 3000 Chosera, basically as a reference point for naturals because for me this range is also pretty idea.

i have passed the sigma along, havent heard back on their opinion on it.

my kit consists of the following:

coarse - natsuya around 600 grit
medium - ikarashi around 1.5k grit
finisher - vintage aoto around 5k grit

at work, as a 'beater touch-up stone' i use suehiro new cerax 1000/3000 combo stone i found on ebay. good value, this thing is great even comes with a stand. it feels kind of rubbery, but not awful either, decent speed.

i'm trying to find another finishing stone, closer to 3k grit, most likely a red aoto. i love the blue aoto, but i feel i would be even happier with slightly less refinement. yet i dont want to sacrifice feedback and/or speed.

lucky son of a gun got a natsuya, the envy runs DEEP

you ordered one just for the hell of it? ran out of nats to try? haha, well let us know how it turns out, i loved the feedback on chosera 400, but i felt it was too slow.

you ordered one just for the hell of it? ran out of nats to try? haha, well let us know how it turns out, i loved the feedback on chosera 400, but i felt it was too slow.

Yes, but it'll also be a good reference point. 3k I think is where it's usually at.

But one. Bravo, my man! :cool2:

Incidentally - and I'm saying this because I think we have some similar tastes - I've ordered a 3000 Chosera, basically as a reference point for naturals because for me this range is also pretty idea.

Asteger, I have a Naniwa Hayabusa 4k on order.
http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store...oduct_info&cPath=335_404_637&products_id=2197
There seems to be some good buzz about this newer stone from Naniwa. Fast cutter and no soaking necessary so Im guessing the only potential downside might be not so great feedback. Even Stu at ToolsFJ talked me out of a Chosera 3k which is more than twice the price in favor of this stone. However, if youre hooked on JNats (Im not) Chosera ofcourse was the best choice for you.

Asteger, I have a Naniwa Hayabusa 4k on order. ... There seems to be some good buzz about this newer stone from Naniwa. Fast cutter and no soaking necessary so Im guessing the only potential downside might be not so great feedback. Even Stu at ToolsFJ talked me out of a Chosera 3k which is more than twice the price in favor of this stone. However, if youre hooked on JNats (Im not) Chosera ofcourse was the best choice for you.

Haha, thanks, LoLv. Actually, I don't really know if it's the best choice or not as I don't think I'm that with it when I comes to all the synths out there. I have a Chosera 600, though, and like it, and seems that for 1k Chosera really is the consitent winner, so enough for me to choose their 3k, which I still picked mostly for grit-range. Yeah, the Hayabusa sounds good and I've dealt with Stu before, and he's a good source. Not sure, for example, how much a Chosera 3000 would sell for in the US (and read somewhere that Naniwa has phased Chosera out for foreign sales) but the going price in Japan seems to be about JPY7000 or $60. (Wow, the yen has fallen to the $.) I did think for a moment, though, how I don't recall having heard this stone discussed here before. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

A pretty big retailer here in the states that alot of people avoid sells the chosera 3k for $118, which seems to be the norm.

Yeeesh, a bit of a bump up :eyebrow:

It's been said before, though, that while you won't necessarily get better deals in Japan with knives, stones are cheaper. Weight and shipping costs also must of course play a part. though.

... Just checked Stu's prices. He's raised them a bit. (I remember his Chosera and Atoma) Not quite as cheap as before, but still fair and people would probably save through him.

I haven't done it, but if people could figure it out they might be able to buy through evil Amazon - via Japan. For eg, here's a listing for the Chosera 1k at Amazon.co.jp for less than JPY 4,500 (or US $38, under half of the well-known US site). http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%96%B0%E6%BD%9F%E3%83%8A%E3%83%8B%E3%83%AF-SS-1000-%E6%9C%AC%E8%81%B7%E7%94%A8%E8%B6%85%E3%82%BB%E3%83%A9%E3%83%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E7%A0%A5%E7%9F%B3-%E4%B8%AD%E3%83%BB%E4%BB%95%E4%B8%8A%E3%81%92%E7%A0%A5%E7%9F%B3/dp/B000CNOXGC/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1417455474&sr=1-1

Last edited by a moderator:
hey panda how is it on staying flat, does it dish fast?

Back