suehiro cerax stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice panda, I am a natural guy myself, looking for a low grit to do heavy repair work, is it only 28$ on fine tools?

My question is how bad it loads up? With normal clad and then especially if you thin any stainless clad how it responds.

My question is how bad it loads up? With normal clad and then especially if you thin any stainless clad how it responds.

it thins stainless cladding very well. Probably the best characteristic about the cerax 320 IMO is how long the stone can hold water. I can just thin cladding on mine for a great deal of time without adding additional water to the stone. Other stones in this grit range are usually alot more porous and need alot of water as they tend to dry up quickly.

it thins stainless cladding very well. Probably the best characteristic about the cerax 320 IMO is how long the stone can hold water. I can just thin cladding on mine for a great deal of time without adding additional water to the stone. Other stones in this grit range are usually alot more porous and need alot of water as they tend to dry up quickly.

I'm up to one stainless clad knife and it tends to clog any of the coarse stones I've used. The ability to stay wet would definitely make this a much less annoying stone than others in that range.

I got into naturals specifically to avoid loading, I'm glad to say the cerax is not prone to such annoyances.

That is definitely the direction I'm moving my lineup as well. Just need to find a coarse stone that I love and I'm willing to keep trying until I find it.:biggrin:

I just got a set of the Suehiro cerax stones 320, 1000 and 6000 grit. I have been using the 320 to do some repair work on my Japanese Wood chisels and it does cut really fast, gets muddy fast but, seems to dish easily. I also have the Shapton Pro 320 and feels harder and doesn't seem to dish as easily. I've had to flatten the backs of some wide chisels so I have been using both stones to get a feel for which one I like best.

I'm still in the middle of the chisel restoration and have moved to the 1000 grit and at first used my ******** *** xx hard stone but while it stays flat I got impatient on some of the 36mm wide chisels and started using the Suehiro cerax 1000 grit which seems to be cutting much faster. I also have the Shapton Glass 1000 grit but it seems to load up too fast when cutting a lot of metal. I have the Bester 1200 grit stone but I get impatient waiting for the stone to soak. I should have a better feel for these stones in another few days.

Jack

I received the Sigma Power Select ll 240 as a Christmas gift,pretty hard stone for that gritlevel but unfortunately very porous and a bit cloggy so for so for my Japanese tools I'm going to buy the King deluxe 300 as it is supposed to be super hard and dish resistant. I think the sigma will do ok as a thinning stone along side a mix of jnats and the shapton pros 120/320.
I haven't used the Sigma that much yet so a bit indecisive of it's qualitys till...
Good luck to everybody in the coarse gritlevel...the most important and the biggest pain:))
Cheers

I received the Sigma Power Select ll 240 as a Christmas gift,pretty hard stone for that gritlevel but unfortunately very porous and a bit cloggy so for so for my Japanese tools I'm going to buy the King deluxe 300 as it is supposed to be super hard and dish resistant. I think the sigma will do ok as a thinning stone along side a mix of jnats and the shapton pros 120/320.
I haven't used the Sigma that much yet so a bit indecisive of it's qualitys till...
Good luck to everybody in the coarse gritlevel...the most important and the biggest pain:))
Cheers

The key to using the sigma 240 is to use very light strokes. It is porous but I find that it can remain wet longer if you use shorter lighter strokes. I dont think it clogs that bad. If you want a hard low grit stone that doesnt really clog and isnt porous and dishes slowly I would recommend the gesshin 400.

The King Deluxe 300 is indeed hard and slow do dish. It's pressure sensitive -- light passes if you can wait for it to cut and it doesn't appear to wear at all for all practical purposes, but a pass or two at high pressure renews the surface. It can cut rather slowly if you use only light pressure, I suspect the grit rounds off. A couple firm passes removes some grit so it cuts fast again.

I've had mine a couple years and am quite pleased with it. Got it from Stu, I don't think it's available from anyone in the US, at least it wasn't last time I looked.

Beats a Naniwa SS 220 six ways to Sunday.

Peter

The stone is so new in my arsenal that I only have had random luck when using it, if the key is to use light strokes I'll definitively try that as the hard strokes definitely chokes it (not clogging it's more like the stone's hitting the brakes) - it does seem to be an aggressive fast cutter though.
Everything from the US climbs almost double in price so the gesshin is not really an realistic option like the king that I can buy from nearby Germany...
Thanks for the advise

Curious to see more commentary about the Cerax 6k stone. Worthy substitute for let's say a Chosera 5k grit range?

Curious to see more commentary about the Cerax 6k stone. Worthy substitute for let's say a Chosera 5k grit range?

I can compare the Cerax 6K to my Shapton Pro 5K or my Shapton Glass 8K. I also have an old 6K King and a stone that I got from Japan Woodworker before they closed but I can't find the name in English (it's either a 6 or 8K stone). I need to stop buy Ken Schwartz's place and perhaps he can identify it.

Jack

I am looking forward to buy and try that king,I've only read good things about it and even the bit slow behaviour can I live with - as long as it stays flat I'll be a happy camper:)
Fine-tools from Germany carries it so I won't have to wait with shipping... Love reading insider-info as I suck at getting the technical stuff in order when using the different stones, I'll try to remember your info Peter:))
Cheers

Haven't used the Chosera 5k, can only compare to the 6k Arashiyama. The Cerax 6k is harder and faster, and leaves a significantly more hazy bevel. It also loads more, but is easy to clean. It doesn't seem to polish aesthetically any more than a 3k superstone, but the edge is far more refined cutting paper and shaving. I like the edge off the stone a lot.

Haven't used the Chosera 5k, can only compare to the 6k Arashiyama. The Cerax 6k is harder and faster, and leaves a significantly more hazy bevel. It also loads more, but is easy to clean. It doesn't seem to polish aesthetically any more than a 3k superstone, but the edge is far more refined cutting paper and shaving. I like the edge off the stone a lot.

Hazy does not necessarily translate into inferior edge but it does keep me a little obsessed thinking that the two are related. We eat with our eyes, so it's only natural
to sharpen with them, too. Uniform hazy is probably what to look for. Lately, I'm tickled wiht the quick polish that comes off a Beglium Blue Whetstone. Or, a stropping
on leather loaded with 1mu paste should take care of the polish. Good to hear that you are getting satisfying performance with the cerax 6k. I have one on the way.

It's a very different stone than my Arashiyama. Ultimately, aesthetic polish or not, I do believe the edge it leaves is slightly less refined. Either way, I really like the edge. It is uniformly hazy.

I'll also say that it seems to cut PM steel better than the arashiyama. It feels denser and more aggressive, and I liked it's performance on s35vn and s30v.

I can compare the Cerax 6K to my Shapton Pro 5K or my Shapton Glass 8K. I also have an old 6K King and a stone that I got from Japan Woodworker before they closed but I can't find the name in English (it's either a 6 or 8K stone). I need to stop buy Ken Schwartz's place and perhaps he can identify it.

Jack

It turns out that last stone I bought from Japan Woodworker was a Kitayama 8000 grit stone and I like it a lot, it doesn't seem to load up as much as my Shapton Glass 8000 grit stone (I used both today and the Kitayama seems to give a much more polished finish)

Jack

Back