Sugimoto kanji comfort

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pudu

Reaction score
The Sugimoto #6 is calling to me very strongly at the moment. But I have one, probably ridiculous question. I almost never use a hammer grip with chukabocho choppers (cleavers yes), favouring an extended pinch grip.

The branding on the Sugis looks to be stamped on the standard model and hand chiseled on the OMS version. In both cases the 会社名 is right where I would be gripping the blade.

Can anyone who has either model weigh in on whether there are any sharp edges in the 会社名 which need to be dealt with before it can be comfortably used in this way?

Thanks much to anyone who has advice to offer.

I've owned the standard versions in the past, and currently own a #6 and #7 in the OMS series. Personally I don't find the kanji obstrusive at all on either model. IMO, they're still the most comfortable (of many) cleavers on the market.

Cheers,
Josh

Thanks for the replies Josh and Noodle. That's encouraging to hear. For me, the most important characteristic of a chopper is comfort in the hand - especially along the spine and the choil. Everything I've read seems to lead me to the Sugi 6.

Your collective input is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Back