Supplemental Jnat finisher

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiho!

@K813zra
No need to sharpen on it because i have a really excellent bricksize vintage Aizu ;) (210x70x60mm)

But ill try it as a Tomo Nagura on the other Aizu.
On my Finishers it would be to coarse.. i have a pure white Koma Nagura that rocks the house (supposed to be from Iwasaki collection)

Ok well Shinichi told me that this size is too big for a Nagura.. i tried my 160x50 very good Nakayama Koppa and Okudo kuro renge Suita Koppa as a Nagura, but nope ..no fun and sticks on the other stone because its to big.
But Aizu on Aizu could be fun or on my Ikarashi..

Seeya, Daniel

28076970nl.jpg

Okay, I see. For me it seems like it will make a great travel stone!

So, here I am hunting all over and going from store to store, town to town to try to find wax free Shellac. I must have gone to 15 stores with no luck at all. Even though I saw online that it would say wax free on the front of the can, I checked the back and I would ask every clerk but nothing came of it. Then it hit me, lets take a look on the back of the Shellac that comes in a spray can...sure enough the spray version is wax free, at every store, which made me feel like a real idiot. Apparently the sales personnel had no idea either but I expect that at big box stores. Anyway, I would have rather got the paint on stuff in a can but the spray seems to work fine from what I have read in numerous threads and it was on clearance sale for $4, which saved me some money but it also means that I will likely have to go store hopping to find it again when the need arises.

Anyway, I am going to clean up the stones tomorrow and let them dry for a day or two and seal them all, not just the Aizu. Why not, the cost of a can was negligible so why not.

So as a takeaway, all Shellac (that I could find anyway) in a spray can is wax free. Had I thought about this I would have known that as my grandmother used it on her ceramics. Mud spelled backwards and all that.

So, here I am hunting all over and going from store to store, town to town to try to find wax free Shellac. I must have gone to 15 stores with no luck at all. Even though I saw online that it would say wax free on the front of the can, I checked the back and I would ask every clerk but nothing came of it. Then it hit me, lets take a look on the back of the Shellac that comes in a spray can...sure enough the spray version is wax free, at every store, which made me feel like a real idiot. Apparently the sales personnel had no idea either but I expect that at big box stores. Anyway, I would have rather got the paint on stuff in a can but the spray seems to work fine from what I have read in numerous threads and it was on clearance sale for $4, which saved me some money but it also means that I will likely have to go store hopping to find it again when the need arises.

Anyway, I am going to clean up the stones tomorrow and let them dry for a day or two and seal them all, not just the Aizu. Why not, the cost of a can was negligible so why not.

So as a takeaway, all Shellac (that I could find anyway) in a spray can is wax free. Had I thought about this I would have known that as my grandmother used it on her ceramics. Mud spelled backwards and all that.

I believe you should be able to find the dry flakes which you then dissolve in ethyl alcohol.

I believe you should be able to find the dry flakes which you then dissolve in ethyl alcohol.

I can order them online, same with the standard wax free shellac but I was being stubborn and want to see what I could find semi-local. Sadly we don't have any old school paint/supply/hardware type stores around here. Walmart came in and that all went out years ago. In surrounding towns we have other big box stores such as lowes and homedepot but I couldn't find any there either. The good news is that it seems people have success using the spray on kind.

Hiho!

@K813zra
No need to sharpen on it because i have a really excellent bricksize vintage Aizu ;) (210x70x60mm)

But ill try it as a Tomo Nagura on the other Aizu.
On my Finishers it would be to coarse.. i have a pure white Koma Nagura that rocks the house (supposed to be from Iwasaki collection)

Ok well Shinichi told me that this size is too big for a Nagura.. i tried my 160x50 very good Nakayama Koppa and Okudo kuro renge Suita Koppa as a Nagura, but nope ..no fun and sticks on the other stone because its to big.
But Aizu on Aizu could be fun or on my Ikarashi..

Seeya, Daniel

28076970nl.jpg

Good Lord that vintage Aizu is gorgeous

Hiho!

and Thanks @Omega !
Its the only middle grit Jnat i would use forever if i could only use one .. Actually on the photo you are looking at the side of that stone ;)) well it was just 60mm wide but 70 height.. so i just hit the side with the dmt.. and holy moly the side was awesome.. easy to use,very hard, super fast, awesome finish and great sharpness that would be enough for kitchenknifes .. and was cheap as f... i really love that stone! ;)

Yeah Watanabe has some very good looking Aizus, they look very good and clean...
well i am interested how the Aizu works as a Nagura on another Aizu or if DMT is better.. because with slurry this thing fires the turboboost ;)

Also Ikarashis are like from the neighborhood and i still dondt figure out wich one is finer ( i got 2 Ikarashis)

Seeya, daniel

Just checked out Watanabe's page and it looks like he got a bunch of Aizu in recently. If I didn't grab one back around Xmas I'd be giving them a closer look

Nods- I think they went up around the first week of January? I have one on the way :D

@Krassi Jimminy that is a big stone.. Definitely got me jealous ;D Happy to hear you like it's performance so much!

Hiho!

and Thanks @Omega !
Its the only middle grit Jnat i would use forever if i could only use one .. Actually on the photo you are looking at the side of that stone ;)) well it was just 60mm wide but 70 height.. so i just hit the side with the dmt.. and holy moly the side was awesome.. easy to use,very hard, super fast, awesome finish and great sharpness that would be enough for kitchenknifes .. and was cheap as f... i really love that stone! ;)

Yeah Watanabe has some very good looking Aizus, they look very good and clean...
well i am interested how the Aizu works as a Nagura on another Aizu or if DMT is better.. because with slurry this thing fires the turboboost ;)

Also Ikarashis are like from the neighborhood and i still dondt figure out wich one is finer ( i got 2 Ikarashis)

Seeya, daniel

Yep, I think I am in the same boat. If I could only have one it would be the Aizu, I really love this stone (both of them)! I have not had it long but it has left a much better impression on me than other mid grits.

Question: When you say you can not figure out which is finer are you saying that you are unsure which of your Ikarashi are finer or you are unsure if your Aizu or Ikarashi is finer? I ask because I have an Ikarashi as well and mine is significantly coarser than my Aizu.

Hiho!

@K813zra
Yep same here.. my two Ikarashis seem coarser.. well its getting smoother after some DMT lapping but still both feel much coarser and also faster.. So there are Ikarashis that are said to be finer, but not in my case. the Aizu is much finer.

Oh i also got my Watanabe package today ;)) there was a nice Aizu inside.
Seeya Daniel

A lot of talk about Aizus lately. Tempted to try one.

Can you tell me if this is the stone to use after Chosera 1000 and before my Aka renge finisher?

Hiho!

@K813zra
Yep same here.. my two Ikarashis seem coarser.. well its getting smoother after some DMT lapping but still both feel much coarser and also faster.. So there are Ikarashis that are said to be finer, but not in my case. the Aizu is much finer.

Oh i also got my Watanabe package today ;)) there was a nice Aizu inside.
Seeya Daniel

Same here: Aizu is finer than Ikarashi.

Speaking of which, it seems that Ikarashi and Aizu have become even more of a hot commodity as Shin has given both of them their own page. Sometimes I wonder just how many stones he has, lol.

Speaking of which, it seems that Ikarashi and Aizu have become even more of a hot commodity as Shin has given both of them their own page. Sometimes I wonder just how many stones he has, lol.

There might be other sources.

Hi heres the one from Shinichi
its 2 two in one stone with two glued together.. i didnt recognize this first and you dondt feel any line or anything.
140x90mm this way, actually very useful and very good quality !

28136709kz.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1485468328.638368.jpg

Also arrived today. I keenly felt the loss of the Aizu that Foody got.

Yeah looks like the Godfather of Aizu !
..Don Aizu! ;))

i like how this thread went from finisher to a thread about aizus :D which is funny because i'm pretty sure asteger and i are the only ones who actually use aizu as a finisher.

i like how this thread went from finisher to a thread about aizus :D which is funny because i'm pretty sure asteger and i are the only ones who actually use aizu as a finisher.

I have been converted, at least for the time being. I only have one finisher, though. I guess that might change when I try out more or it might not.

I also like my Aizu, which I nabbed off Asteger a while back, as a finisher. It all depends on the level of finish and toothiness you're going for. I actually think not much I've used can compete with it in the finish range it occupies.

While certainly not an expert in stones, I can repeat some of what my conversation with Shinichi consisted of.

He spoke a lot of 1000 grit synthetic, and then moving to Aoto. After that was the decision of Ikarashi or Aizu. He mentioned more redundancy between those two specifically, as opposed to Ikarashi overriding Aoto AND Aizu.

When I initially expressed interest in his (then) only Aizu, he actually tried to steer me away from it, in favor of Ikarashi saying "I find it [ikarashi] much more consistent then Aizu". I will admit, I didn't press him more on that, to understand fully what he meant- whether it was more consistent stone to stone, or more consistent during a single session.

In asking him about my intended progression, AI#1000, Aoto, Aizu, Ohira Shiro Suita- he just said that he thought it was very good. He said were I to sub in the Ikarashi, I should do
AI#1000 > Aoto > Ikarashi > Ohira. I'm sure a person could skip any step in there and it would be fine- but people who are more knowledgeable would have to comment on that.

No worries- it looks like Shinichi has quiiiite a few. And if for some reason he runs out, I actually have two, and PROBABLY could be persuaded to part with one ;D

And damn on my way over to see that beauty now~

Back