Takeda 240 Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rkr7ho4.jpg

Interesting, it looks pretty thick near the edge, but turns into almost a hollow grind on a larger diameter wheel about 1-2cm above the edge. Seems it would be great for stiction...and with some minor thinning would be very, very good for cutting in general.

Alright. This has been a very cool knife to learn about.

Again, it's a very new type of knife I'm not familiar with; I don't often use workhorses like this. The grind is great for stickage, but wedges quite a bit. I'm sure my technique is not suitable for it, but any potato pieces over 1.5" in height would wedge and split, rather than cut. Anything under that height was pure joy to cut.

rkr7ho4.jpg

I'm also notice wedge problem when I cutting large hard root vegetable!
I may considering thin the blade with wider bevel & raise shinogi line then blend it into rest of the blade.......anybody had experience thinning the Takedas knife??

I got a chance to check the knife out a bit more today. Don had a good edge on it, which would normally be more of a compliment, but that steel is just so fantastic to sharpen. I did run the bevel over a natural finishing stone a few time just to see what the blade road / 2ndary bevel looked like and it's nice and flat and even and it ended up with that wonderfully absurd edge that's both hair-popping and aggressive.

The "grind" -which is forged, not ground, is very similar to my Takeda nakiri, but considerably thicker so it's easier to see the concave section and the extra thickness behind the edge.
The shinogi could certainly be raised a bit. Even though my nakiri is thinner, the 2ndary bevel is still much wider/ higher. As is, the knife is setup to be thicker behind the edge and more robust than it really needs to be. Food release is very good, but I dont know if its remarkably better than my nakir. So, I think it could easily be thinned and gain some significant cutting performance with little to no trade off.

Still, it's a phenomenal knife. Wedging is reduced quite a bit by just cutting thicker stuff with the front part of the blade. Thats the beauty of the big honkin' santoku-like nose: you're not going to hurt it.
A lot of people talk about changing the profile on these knifes or some of the newer, narrower designs being more popular, but I think that this is a super cool knife. No, it's not like every other sab, KS, TKC, etc looking knife, and I'm glad. It's unique and it's damn good.

This is a knife that I think jaded knerds could really enjoy / appreciate/ be impressed by (I sure am) but it would also be FANTASTIC first carbon / j-knife for folks coming from heavy German knives. My GF had really grown accustom to her heavy wusty's and she likes having some extra weight to help carry momentum though the cut. She was struck by the fact that this knife is not as heavy as it looks, but it performs like a heavy knife. What she was noticing was was the blade-forward balance and the mechanical advantage of the very stiff, big, tall blade. The profile makes is a very comfortable rock chopper and a fantastic herb mincer, but there's actually a pretty big rather flat section for wailing away with rapid push-cuts. It's like the awkward looking love child of a small cleaver and a giant santoku, but looks are deceiving and it's really quite athlete. It's the big, quiet kid in highschool that didn't win any popularity awards, but ended up going to a big 10 college on a full-ride football scholarship. Takeda apparently knows something about making knives that work.

I'll post pics and more thoughts before I pass it along.

Knife is ready to go onto the next lucky participant, who according to the list looks to be bkultra....
Please PM to confirm / provide info.

Work has been a time-killer, so it may take me awhile to get pics and final impression up, So I'll just say that I really enjoyed this knife and am grateful that I had the chance to finally play with one.

There's a big glob of glue to seal up the front, and I'm a little curious how that got that glob to look so uniform.

/QUOTE]

Tks for the pics.

I am curious too. I tried with super glue... NOt gooey enough. It releases some fumes and left some white patches on the neck of knife. ..

I suppose the super glue wld suffice in preventing water from seeping in... hopefully.

rgds
d

There's a big glob of glue to seal up the front, and I'm a little curious how that got that glob to look so uniform.

/QUOTE]

Tks for the pics.

I am curious too. I tried with super glue... NOt gooey enough. It releases some fumes and left some white patches on the neck of knife. ..

I suppose the super glue wld suffice in preventing water from seeping in... hopefully.

rgds
d

This is how they glue it, starts at around 16 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5RKWuZk9X4

Hey just an update, I sent the knife via USPS and they held onto it for awhile before returning it to me with no explanation. Address and everything was correct, maybe they just wanted to participate in the pass around. I've had weird problems with them before. I sent it via Fedex earlier this week and it should be at it's next stop by now.

I will be shipping the knife once I receive the address. I will also come back and update my thoughts on the knife. I have a family member in the hospital and it has been limiting my time.

Just used it for the first time today, I will be keeping it this entire week as I am on vacation and will be cooking daily. So far... I freaking love it!

vvxl.jpg

Alright, I boxed her up and even made her a new custom saya as the existing packaging wouldn't have made it through another shipment. I'll post more detailed thoughts later but suffice it to say, I am seriously considering purchasing a Takeda gyuto now.

Fed Ex says the knife was delivered, Danny can you confirm?

Apologies guys. I'm in the middle of a divorce and I haven't checked in here very much, so I missed this.

Yes! It arrived safely, and I've put it to a little use so far. Probably the most "workhorse" type knife that I've used so far. I definitely am starting to get it though. Super nice for flying through onions, potatoes, etc. Going to make one more big meal with it (did 5 gal of chili for my gun club on saturday), then ship it off.

Fed Ex says the knife was delivered, Danny can you confirm?

Here's a few quick thoughts about the Takeda. I personally didn't think the profile was a problem as I had 0 accordion cuts with my push cut technique. I love the height of the blade and the grind was fantastic! I had a blast cutting everything I could get my hands on, and I am seriously considering buying one for myself. The handle was a tad bit on the slim side and would probably want a slighter thicker handle. The glue did not bother me one bit, but I can see why some people complain. I did not sharpen the blade, but whoever put the edge on before me did a hell of a nice job! Oh and based not his knife I can say that AS steel is an amazing performer!

If the owner decides to get rid of the knife I may be interested!

okay...so far so good. i hope the OP doesnt mind but i wanted to touch up the edge just slightly, so i did a quick gesshin2k>gesshin 4k progression. actually i shouldve started on a little lower grit stone but nevertheless like all takedas ive used the edge sharpens up easily. this particular knife seems geared towards rock chopping, i can push cut with it too but it seems like the sweet spot is only and inch or 2 long. i found the handle to be comfortable,yet smaller than most i use-but this knife is also lighter than most knives i use lately so it feels nice. the gunk around the ferrule is at a minimum on this one but that doesnt really make much difference to me.
The grind is different from the other takedas ive seen. upon first inspection i thought the blade had a long flat grind, but after looking closer there seems to be dips into the grind on both sides,these dips also happen to be asymetrical. the shinogi line is closer to the edge than any other knife ive ever used. this has to be one of the "newer grinds" that dave was referring to in another thread. i dont particularly dislike the grind actually, it lends itself to having super nice food release,but the consequence is you lose alittle pure cutting ability. if i could, i would raise that shinogi line some im just not to into the idea of a teeny tiny blade road. the stout shoulders on both sides of the blade make the knife pleasant to use and efficent, i dont need to stop and remove stuck on food from the blade hardly at all. i didnt like the resistance i felt when i fine diced an onion but that was prior to touching it up some. it feels and cuts like a light weight workhorse.
takedas profile,spine thickness, and grind seems to be somewhat inconsistent. whenever i finally order one i will definitely go custom so i can get what i want exactly and not have to take my chances with a vendors inventory. or test drive a used one.

yeah i dont really need to use this knife any longer, ive pretty developed my opinion in 2 days. dardeau, im gonna drop it off today at the post office. bkdc thanks again for the opportunity!

one last observation...the kurouchi does a fine job of protecting against reactivity,and im not sure how much of an additional advantage it would be to get a stainless clad newer one. personally, i would prefer a carbon clad one just for the easier thinning sessions.

Received today. No time to cook today, but like what I see so far.

I'll be passing this along tomorrow, if I don't leave it at home like I did today. This is a really cool knife, with an interesting grind, but I found myself reaching for my Itinomonn over the Takeda every time. I Wish I could have given it some time at work, maybe it would be better suited to some of those tasks I just don't do at home. Thanks for the PA!

Latest posts

Back