TF Chronicles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's funny that folk recommend the District TF service when Ryan thinks its a joke.
He does the same service for other knives for $45.
He increased the cost to $80 for TF to dissuade customers from tweaking their brand new knives.

He's basically making fun of people who think their TF needs thinning, before even using it, because they read about it on some forum.

He even describes it as a "cosmetic" service.

Read his copy. It's filled with irony.

Due to the overwhelming demand to make perfectly good knives even better, we offer our Teruyasu Fujiwara knife cosmetic regrind service.

For the low price of $80 we will erase all of those nasty things you've read about TF knives on Reddit and other forums.

Dear Fujiwara san, we mean no disrespect to you with this service. Many consumers are misguided by advice on the internet.

When my TF needs thinning it will go to Bernal where they don't use best sanders or charge extra to work on a perfectly good TF...
That is not how I read it really.

It would be problematic if, as a reseller, he implied that knives he sold were less than quality. It's basically saying "Hey TF if you read this don't drop this as a vendor". The TFs probably take a little more work to get right since it's not just thinning, it is indeed a regrind as he calls it.

This is backed up by the fact he advertises this service a lot on IG and FB.

Remember that Jiro dropped a vendor for polishing his knife on a jnat.

I do have a second hand TF that was purchased originally from District cutlery. Knife is definitely no laser but arrived with a belt grind finish. I’m guessing they did some work to the blade because there wasn’t the typical surprises or unevenness after putting the blade flat against the stone. I felt like he does just enough work to the knife without completely changing the character of how it cuts. Feels like a shihan now, more or less.

That is not how I read it really.

It would be problematic if, as a reseller, he implied that knives he sold were less than quality. It's basically saying "Hey TF if you read this don't drop this as a vendor". The TFs probably take a little more work to get right since it's not just thinning, it is indeed a regrind as he calls it.

This is backed up by the fact he advertises this service a lot on IG and FB.

Remember that Jiro dropped a vendor for polishing his knife on a jnat.

Agree. I think he’s offering this regrind service while trying to be respectful to the maker.

Just bought my first Denka. What stones work best for the inevitable thinning that’ll be necessary?
Thinning will be necessary at some point with every knife, for which I can recommend the Debado 180. Out of the box, many TF knives are very good cutters and don’t need any thinning at all. There may be some overground spots but more often than not they’re not more than a cosmetic issue that most other knives have as well. Almost nobody here complains about low spots on knives of e.g. Tanaka Kyuzo or Hado even though they aren’t better than most TF knives in that regard, it’s just that low spots are hidden. Taking them out isn’t something done by the makers but by the vendors, but with double bevel knives that’s not really important (unless the overgrinds are really bad). That being said, I’ve seen many pictures of very roughly finished knives from TF and I completely agree that more could be expected for the price. Especially the finish of yo handles can be really bad. Again, most knives seem to be fine though so I wouldn’t worry now.

Some first impressions: The gyuto is a ton of fun, no wedging, flies through onions, jst soo good.
I also pushed it a bit and used it to cut about half a kg of dried tomatoes. Those can be really tough on a knife, but it didn't chip or get dull from that.

So that one is a winner. I'd have loved those extra few mm of height. Not so much for now, but for further down the line... but well. I mean it is still a LOT of money for such a knife, especially with the "stealthy" finish that doesn't give a way it's premium price tag. But that's TF, no surprise there.

Unfortunately, I am less happy with the petty. That one actually is too thick and tends to wedge. TF would take it back an thin it free of charge, but I am tending towards finding someone in EU to do it.

Last edited:
Boys and girls, I've seen it all. The apex of TF wabisabi. Saw a denka gyuto at knifewear, at the tip the apex was literally splitting open and I could see the core steel from the splitted open spine 😂

Isn’t this really only an issue if it’s warikomi? Not uncommon to see core steel on the choil and spine of San mai knives? I could be wrong just trying to understand. A delam would be more than just seeing the top of it right?

Boys and girls, I've seen it all. The apex of TF wabisabi. Saw a denka gyuto at knifewear, at the tip the apex was literally splitting open and I could see the core steel from the splitted open spine 😂
Yeah but how did it cut???
TFTFTFTFTFTFTF!!!!

Not when the two sides of San mai are about 1mm apart, and there's literally space between the core steel and each side of the San mai. It's like the knife has three tips, lol maybe it's TF way of defining the 3 in santoku lol

Not when the two sides of San mai are about 1mm apart, and there's literally space between the core steel and each side of the San mai. It's like the knife has three tips, lol maybe it's TF way of defining the 3 in santoku lol
Fiverr+ei8htz+draft+#18+-+Pearls+Before+Swine+-+Final+-+cropped.jpg

You know, I have a couple of Chinese recipes I make that call for cutting 2" lengths of scallions into fine shreds, lengthwise. This sounds like the knife for me!

TF teaches us many lessons through these great knives. These are principles that we could apply to the rest of our lives if and when we comprehend his great wisdom.
Among such teachings is on the value of self reliance, self improvement and how one should never accept any current condition as an immutable one.
One can enjoy an ootb TF for what it is, a handmade masterpiece or one can use this knife as a way gaining experience in the art of thinning, sanding of spine and choils and refinishing of blade road if one chooses.
Either way, TF can’t make your decision for you. He can only offer you door ways into untapped potential for self improvement. But you have to choose. Choose wisely.
How does one enjoy a poorly fitted handle?😝

I am thinking of taking the plunge on a 210 Denka Gyuto. I am going Wa and will likely swap it out with a pretty Wa from Suji. Question I have is to get the finger indent or not? I have never used a knife with the indent but it looks like it might be good. I am going to be mighty bummed if I get it with the indent and hate it. What say you experienced experts? Indent or no?

I am thinking of taking the plunge on a 210 Denka Gyuto. I am going Wa and will likely swap it out with a pretty Wa from Suji. Question I have is to get the finger indent or not? I have never used a knife with the indent but it looks like it might be good. I am going to be mighty bummed if I get it with the indent and hate it. What say you experienced experts? Indent or no?

Every TF finger notch that I have seen in person has been damn comfortable. More so than I thought they’d be. I don’t own one though, if I got one it would be notched up, for sure.

Personally I find the finger notch helpful whenever i want to choke up my pinch grip farther up the blade. But usually this technique is helpful for 240mm and 270mm gyutos to get more control over a larger knife. My 210mm TF didn’t have a finger notch and I was content without it.
So that’s what you need to think about. If youre happy where your pinch grip is normally or if you think you’d benefit from moving the grip up like an inch along the spine.

Anyone ordered a custom from Fujiwara lately? I noticed their custom page says they aren't doing them, can anyone corroborate?

I'd email them directly but can't find out how, lol.

Anyone received any Fujiwaras direct lately? How is the quality and fit and finish?

I'm thinking of ordering a western-handled 210mm Denka gyuto but I'm worried about them messing up something to do with the handle, which from what I understand can be unfixable. I've heard people talk about handles that were twisted at an angle from the blade, etc. Then of course there's the usual "wabi sabi". Anyone have any recent experience with what they're putting out right now?

Back