That d*mn courier thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I'm finally having my bad luck with USPS.

I really should have driven the 2 hours rather than trust the mail, because now my Riverjump gyuto is MIA. It's showing up as delivered to the UPS store, but isn't anywhere to be found.
I feel so crestfallen.

UPS should know if they scanned it as received. If they did then it's on them and not USPS. If UPS doesn't have record of receiving it then it seems the USPS driver must have scanned it as delivered when it wasn't and he is responsible.

DHL recently decided that importing kitchen knives into the UK is illegal and you are now pretty much guaranteed they will return to sender.

I have gone as far as to read the relevant legislation out of frustration, and there is no mention whatsoever of kitchen knives being banned - in fact the list of prohibited knives is actually extremely niche and specific (shruikens, zombie knives, spring loaded knives etc).

Despite this (and the fact that every other courier will import kitchen knives into the UK with no issues) DHL point blank refuses to listen when I have contacted them to complain…

DHL recently decided that importing kitchen knives into the UK is illegal and you are now pretty much guaranteed they will return to sender.

I have gone as far as to read the relevant legislation out of frustration, and there is no mention whatsoever of kitchen knives being banned - in fact the list of prohibited knives is actually extremely niche and specific (shruikens, zombie knives, spring loaded knives etc).

Despite this (and the fact that every other courier will import kitchen knives into the UK with no issues) DHL point blank refuses to listen when I have contacted them to complain…

Have they stopped allowing them to be delivered too? I have had them returned to sender when I’ve tried using them as a shipper but nothing before when receiving a package. That would be very frustrating if it is.

Have they stopped allowing them to be delivered too? I have had them returned to sender when I’ve tried using them as a shipper but nothing before when receiving a package. That would be very frustrating if it is.
I haven’t tried sending a package with DHL for a long time because I don’t think they’re worth the premium over a fast RM/Parcelforce service, so I couldn’t say.

The only change in recent law is that a delivery containing any kind of permitted knife now requires an 18+ adult to receive the shipment - a requirement you can add when you ship the package.

However DHL seem to have misinterpreted this and are sticking to their guns when their position has been called out as false.

There’s a useful thread on the difficulties with DHL here: https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/importing-kitchen-knives-now-banned.417738/

The specific update to UK guidance that I think triggered this behaviour from DHL is here: New measures to restrict access to corrosives and knives

‘The act places new responsibilities on retailers and delivery companies during the online sale and delivery of knives and corrosives, as packages containing these items are now only handed over to the recipient when it has been verified that the customer is over 18.’

The legislation containing the list of banned knives can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.g...and_offensive_weapons_information_GDS_FAQ.pdf

So I just got notification of taxes and fees due from DHL. The value is twice what it should be based on what the value of the shipment is. And I'm at the cottage with very little cell service. This is going to be fun to straighten out.

DHL decided my Karasu Jiro wasn’t coming into the UK this week (even though there’s 0 basis in UK customs regs for banning kitchen knives), so here we are attempting second time lucky with DPD…

Got hit with a phenomenal customs bill yesterday, so I think that means it’s through 😅

Banana box

1692188921207.png

Banana knife

1692188965539.png

Update: finally convinced them the knife isn’t an actual laser. They then told me I need to pay $90 in storage fees for it being held while it got resolved on top of the $97 in customs fees. Yeah, f that. Called DHL immediately and got those storage fees taken off. Hopefully knife finally arrives tomorrow or Wednesday.
DHL Saga continues. When I talked to them three weeks ago they said the $90 would be refunded. Checked the statements yesterday and nope. So I called them. The lady on the phone said that the system shows that I only paid $97, when in fact I paid $187. So I had to send my (redacted) credit card statement and an explanation, then they would send me the $90 they owe me. Just got a reply to that saying that they received my message and that I should expect to hear something again in 15 business days. Ugh.

Jannis was very nice when I told him about the situation with the delivery. He said he spent a bunch of time on the phone with DHL reaming them out about it.

I hate dhl. It’s official.

This Is the second delivery in a row that I sign electronically in advance so they can leave the package, and they don’t.
But it doesn’t end here, both days I get a notification saying they failed to deliver since no one could sign but BOTH TIMES I’ve been home, sitting by the door. I also have a camera doorbell and it confirms no one came to the door both times.

Finally contacted customer service the second time and they said “that sucks, it’ll be there again next week” like why do they only deliver once a week in my area?

Told them to give @martinhuber a refund since shipping is expensive and they did a garbage job this time

These things are so individual.

I've received numerous DHL deliveries and they've always been outstanding. I got one today, a day early and only four days from Japan. The package was in Seattle at 10:41 this morning and delivered to me on the other side of the state at 2pm.

Yep, highly depends on the hub and the driver. We're lucky to have a great one here but I've also heard from friends had same bad experience from DHL.
I wonder if enough complains would make the hub/company to replace the driver serving your area?

These things are so individual.

I've received numerous DHL deliveries and they've always been outstanding. I got one today, a day early and only four days from Japan. The package was in Seattle at 10:41 this morning and delivered to me on the other side of the state at 2pm.
I’m 0/2 with DHL right now. I was excited the first time since everyone raves about them but dang, their website is kinda clunky and their delivery dates are just weird. I rescheduled the first one to come on a Tuesday and it showed up on a Saturday.

Yep, highly depends on the hub and the driver. We're lucky to have a great one here but I've also heard from friends had same bad experience from DHL.
I wonder if enough complains would make the hub/company to replace the driver serving your area?
I used the online chat feature and it was pretty much useless.
Found a phone number to call and they rescheduled it for tomorrow, they seemed surprised that the driver either lied/went to the wrong address.

Guess I’m just glad they didn’t leave it at the door at whatever address they went to

Last edited:
I hate dhl. It’s official.

This Is the second delivery in a row that I sign electronically in advance so they can leave the package, and they don’t.
But it doesn’t end here, both days I get a notification saying they failed to deliver since no one could sign but BOTH TIMES I’ve been home, sitting by the door. I also have a camera doorbell and it confirms no one came to the door both times.

Finally contacted customer service the second time and they said “that sucks, it’ll be there again next week” like why do they only deliver once a week in my area?

Told them to give @martinhuber a refund since shipping is expensive and they did a garbage job this time
god damnit...
The driver looks to be a ****.
But funny its already in your area, while doing the Label it told me soonest on friday if not monday

I used the online chat feature and it was pretty much useless.
Found a phone number to call and they rescheduled it for tomorrow, they seemed surprised that the driver either lied/went to the wrong address.

Guess I’m just glad they didn’t leave it at the door at whatever address they went to
Update. “Out for delivery at 10:30am”
“Held at service center “6:30pm”

Maybe we’ll get lucky on Monday since they’re closed all weekend

Back