That d*mn courier thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0998.jpeg

Anytime now…

Just got the notice it's in US now!

Mine arrived in the US on 4/1 (Прошло регистрацию в Соединенных Штатах Америки, Соединенные Штаты Америки), passed customs on 4/5 (Таможенное оформление, Соединенные Штаты Америки), and made it to my post office this morning.

C747B90C-8439-4775-83B5-806CADCE3FE8.jpeg

Mine arrived in the US on 4/1 (Прошло регистрацию в Соединенных Штатах Америки, Соединенные Штаты Америки), passed customs on 4/5 (Таможенное оформление, Соединенные Штаты Америки), and made it to my post office this morning.

View attachment 236766
I just received mine yesterday, all safe and sound, guess just need some time to transit.

Waiting for my Knife Japan order. Two knives ordered, waited for one to be made so they could ship together. All good, great communication by them as others have mentioned. Day of delivery info from DHL:
Your courier is a few stops away.

(The sky opens up, typical Florida late afternoon thunderstorm.)

Your courier is 24 stops away.

Then:
We were unable to deliver your DHL Express shipment with waybill number XXX from KNIFE JAPAN today because you were not home at the time of our attempted delivery.

Me: sitting on the couch in my home.

Expecting 2 packages from Canada, got a notification this morning saying they would be delivered today. Waited allll day to sign for it and check about 7pm to see what’s going on.

Sent back to USPS facility because there’s no unit number for my condo, guess it got lost during customs? Idk.

Going to call at 5am PST since usps opens h the phone line at 8am EST & pray for the best. If anyone has any other suggestions I’d love to hear it, would hate for the packages to get lost completely or even get sent back to the sender.

Expecting 2 packages from Canada, got a notification this morning saying they would be delivered today. Waited allll day to sign for it and check about 7pm to see what’s going on.

Sent back to USPS facility because there’s no unit number for my condo, guess it got lost during customs? Idk.

Going to call at 5am PST since usps opens h the phone line at 8am EST & pray for the best. If anyone has any other suggestions I’d love to hear it, would hate for the packages to get lost completely or even get sent back to the sender.
@WildBoar got any suggestions?

I'd usually just go to my local USPS store and talk to someone in person. Beats waiting on the phone IMO.

Last edited:
Just don’t have time to go in person tomorrow unfortunately. Don’t want it to linger too long either.
Maybe someone can stop by for you? If it didn't have a number on the box for your unit, it's probably sitting at the departing store and will most likely go out for delivery again unless the store holds it. Hopefully you can get someone on the phone line to communicate with them.

managed to make arrangements at work so I could go to the post office today. Online says they open at 8 so I got there at 7:45 to be first in line, while holding my 7month old son.
Sign on the door says they open at 10!
After a 2 hour arm workout carrying my ridiculously large child, I’m again the first in line at 9:45.
10am on the dot a grumpy old man comes out and I explain to him what’s going on. He says he can’t help. I had to beg him to at least looks since the customer service people at 5am said I would need to go to this office.

He goes to look and comes back looking embarrassed with 2 packages. But they were there at least!

Excited to share what’s in the box with you all so keep an eye out 👀

Store: We only ship signature required.
Carrier, day before delivery: automated phone call - you'll need to sign for this package.
Driver: nope, just dropping it on your door step.
Is PostNL delivering in Canada too?

I don’t buy much stuff that needs shipping but it stresses me out.

Of course fedex decides to not deliver it today because nobody’s home. Sigh. Another weekend without new old knife :(

So, I bought a knife from a KKF member that resides in Canada (I'm in USA). It was a nice knife, insured for $1,000. Today I get an invoice from UPS for $70.12:

Government Charges-$29.37
--Merchandise Processing Fee-$2.37
--Duty Amount-$27
Brokerage Charges-$40.75
--Disbursement Fee-$12.00
--Entry Prep Fee-$28.75

I've bought knives from Canadian retailers before and never got anything like this. Shipper paid for the shipping originally. Now I'm getting charged? Is this normal? What happens if I don't pay it?

So, I bought a knife from a KKF member that resides in Canada (I'm in USA). It was a nice knife, insured for $1,000. Today I get an invoice from UPS for $70.12:

--Duty Amount-$27
Brokerage Charges-$40.75
--Entry Prep Fee-$28.75

I've bought knives from Canadian retailers before and never got anything like this. Shipper paid for the shipping originally. Now I'm getting charged? Is this normal? What happens if I don't pay it?
This is typical for UPS.

--Duty Amount-$27
Brokerage Charges-$40.75
--Entry Prep Fee-$28.75

You don't pay, you don't get your shipment.

I'm guessing it was shipped UPS Standard. I've been burned by that coming into Canada before. When you step up to the next level, the base shipping is a bit more expensive but a lot of those other bogus charges disappear

--Duty Amount-$27
Brokerage Charges-$40.75
--Entry Prep Fee-$28.75

Also, I understand this only happens over $800.

You don't pay, you don't get your shipment.

I'm guessing it was shipped UPS Standard. I've been burned by that coming into Canada before. When you step up to the next level, the base shipping is a bit more expensive but a lot of those other bogus charges disappear
I got the shipment 6 weeks ago. They aren’t getting it back.

it's nothing more or less than a modern highway robbery scheme, but government endorsed.....

Write an invoice using a fork, so you end up with as many 'line items' as you can, invent some 'tasks' and 'processes' and cash flows...

I'm currently trying to get a pet peeve resolved, paying VAt and costs twice when buying records (Vinyl) from the UK....
The Eu has implemented a system where foreign businesses can handle VAT for import into the EU, and all they supposedly have to do is show declare value , enter data for customs , put their IOSS and put unified tariff code on a sticker on the package ....but it does not seem to work....complaints end up being tossed around between PostNL and customs and neither tells me what the root cause for paying VAT and costs twice and point at each other...

Latest posts

Back