The Santoku phenomenon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My non-production, custom order, Heiji 225mm Santoku :viking:

P1070728.JPG

And that Harner has a gorgeous handle and liner combo. You HAVE TO show it, Rick. :)

Santokus are aight. :)

Wouldn't having a 240mm santoku make it uber blade heavy considering how tall the blade remains close to the tip? Just seems like a lot of steel in my mind, and the reason they stay relatively short.

Wouldn't having a 240mm santoku make it uber blade heavy considering how tall the blade remains close to the tip? Just seems like a lot of steel in my mind, and the reason they stay relatively short.

not necessarily. also, theres functional reasons for wanting alot of steel above the tip. the reason santokus usually are only 160-190mm long is because theyre used by home cooks mostly.

Wha.. Single bevel?

My Shig Santoku is a 165. It's like having a sharp index finger that cuts food like a laser :)

Nice one, Schanop :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I have never used a takeda, have lusted after them tho..

To me, granted I'm a noob, Nakiri's and Santoku's are both pervasive primarily for the same reason 240 and 270 Gyuto's are pervasive, personal preference. There's zero doubt that other valid reasons exist such as space constraints, etc but personal preference seems like it would be a prime mover.

We get NHK world and Japanology on our PBS station here.Was just watching a program on organic farming & cooking with fresh vegitables in Japan.All this home cooking using drop nose Santoku & Gyuto cutting up all kinds of food.

I have a 247mm,223mm,182mm,& 174mm all forged carbon steel flatter profile drop nose knives.Also bought a older Takeda 270mm more gradual drop as is the 182mm

All these blades have a tip diff. in each because they are hand forged.Excellent cutters thick & thin.:viking:

Huw, that knife looks like a gyuto to me? just cause one calls an elephant a dog doesn't make him an elephant Right? Not that you knife is a dog ;-)
Exactly what I've though after looking at pictures. Great knife anyway and price is right. Congrats on this purchase :)

Speaking of good prices I've just pulled the trigger and got a new toy:

13734382483_a2cf361b12_o.jpg

Yamawaku 165mm Santoku in V2.
For a 55$ delivered it was hard to resist.
Not that I need another knife, just something else to play and rehandle :)

Haha, I just went for the nakiri, since I liked the look of the kurouchi. Big gamble since I'm actually hunting for something else, but the price means I won't be too scared of tweaking the bevel for my own needs. That's yielded some excellent results with my Zakuri knives, so maybe I'll be lucky again.

The Hiromoto 190 is a great performer. Keep it away from your roommates, and make sure to warn them. They will cut themselves.

Nice! Where did you get it? Can't find it with Google.

how "custom" are these custom orders?
I have no idea how far you can go. In the description of Yamawaku knives on his ebay listings, if you look carefully, there's always an option for different sizes. For example, Santoku is possible in 120,150,165,180mm lengths. Similar options are available for his gyutos.

I'd guess the whole customization ends with knife length. Well, maybe custom engraving if you want it.

first session with the hiro santoku. fit & finish is fine, but i'm not one of those picky types. handle is a little small but still works fine. edge is good, wish the knife had thicker stock as it is plenty thin behind the edge without any convexity so food sticks like crazy. retention is not a concern for home use as touchups can be done quickly before use. gotta admit, the contrast of the core steel patina and the cladding does look pretty rad.

edge is good, wish the knife had thicker stock as it is plenty thin behind the edge without any convexity so food sticks like crazy.
With mine a very nice convexity starts at some 1cm from the edge, haven't noticed any sticking. Might have to do with the glossy finish OOTB I've removed with worn sandpaper + 2k mud.

Back