The thread for wood addicts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People are clearly insane out there on ebay. I had an eye on this auction from Danny who is a local guy and I liked the piece:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220809025989&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

That went for $225, that's about $350 a board foot :eek2: One of the online sellers has a 8x8x3 board of that stuff on sale for $26.25. O.k., the $$/board foot for a stabilized, selected piece of wood is not much lower, but this is just plain nuts.

Stefan

People are clearly insane out there on ebay. I had an eye on this auction from Danny who is a local guy and I liked the piece:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220809025989&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

That went for $225, that's about $350 a board foot :eek2: One of the online sellers has a 8x8x3 board of that stuff on sale for $26.25. O.k., the $$/board foot for a stabilized, selected piece of wood is not much lower, but this is just plain nuts.

Stefan

People can be funny on ebay.
Some people get all caught up in the competition of the bidding that all of their common sense goes out the window.
I had been wanting to get some of Danny's Afzelia Xylay but the bidders have been going wacko with it as well.
Stefan, you are lucky that you can just drive over to Danny's store and see the wood in person. It looks like you made a good haul on your last visit.

Man there is some sweet stuff here! You guys are making me jealous....I guess i will have to quench my thirst at the two sites offered in this thread...

Mark, the problem with Danny's auctions is that he thinks the absurd ebay prices should be the basis for selling out the door to locals, he is driving a hard bargain and I am not sure what I will be willing to spend in the future. That said, I went over to check his two tone amboyna but he had most of it in storage until he moves to the bigger shop. He told me he has about 7,000 (seven thousand!) pounds of amboyna and 5 more tons coming in.... I am sure I will find a few good pieces there in the future...

Stefan

I understand that there's a piece of wood from the actual cross that St. Andrew was nailed to coming up in the next few days. Wonder what that will go for.

That should be funny, people already pay more for olive wood that supposedly comes from Bethlehem. Personally, I would be more interested in wood from the tub of Diogenes, a plank from the Mayflower, or a board that Michelangelo sat on when he painted a ceiling...

Stefan

P1020247.jpgP1020258.jpgP1020251.jpgP1020262.jpgP1020244.jpgP1020254.jpgP1020256.jpg

Score!

Like you needed more wood! What are the light blue-ish wide blocks? And the black blocks above them?

Top right corner, and the two between the ones labeled 19 in the same group. Those are gonna be some sweet looking handles.

This is what I just got back from stabilizing, still resin covered and rough, except for the ones on the lower right. The blue blocks are dyed spalted maple and black ash burl from Craig, left to it is the raindrop pattern Honduran rosewood I have used before. I finally talked him out of the rest he had ;) the blackish ones above the blue blocks are actually a very dark green buckeye burl. There is also some black ash burl, the rest is Hawaiian wood, koa, spalted poinciana, signature, Norfolk pine, and mango. Oh, and five old growth redwood burl blocks. Nice stuff, I hope. - Almost forgot: the ones in the top right corner are also new ones, spalted Tasmanian eucalyptus and sassafras.

Stefan

That black ash burl looks great, I would be interested to see what the sassafras looks like when polished. Does the Sassafras smell good?

This is what I just got back from stabilizing, still resin covered and rough, except for the ones on the lower right. The blue blocks are dyed spalted maple and black ash burl from Craig, left to it is the raindrop pattern Honduran rosewood I have used before. I finally talked him out of the rest he had ;) the blackish ones above the blue blocks are actually a very dark green buckeye burl. There is also some black ash burl, the rest is Hawaiian wood, koa, spalted poinciana, signature, Norfolk pine, and mango. Oh, and five old growth redwood burl blocks. Nice stuff, I hope. - Almost forgot: the ones in the top right corner are also new ones, spalted Tasmanian eucalyptus and sassafras.

Stefan

Jesus! Sounds like I need about a dozen new knives so I can get handles for them! How does the blue spalted stuff look? I don't have anything blue or spalted yet...

Stefan
Thats just one example, ive seen some of his stuff sell up to $300. People get crazy on the bay fer sure--Mark

Hello, My name is Randy and Im a BURL JUNKY!!!!

Now some of you know.. Im part woodchuck and part Beaver. lol I have a large and ever growing pile of burls and exotic woods in my collection.. Been told that I may at some point need a intervention.. :bliss: :happymug: Naaa.... lol Over the years I have stuck "special" sets of stabilized woods aside for the special projects, etc.. and these came from that stash.

Yesterday I was trying to find a set of KILLER knife scales for a project I am starting.. Had to dig deep into my pile to find these.
After knocking the dust off these, I think any one of these would work.

I sent these pics to my customer to choose from, for his new kitchen knife. Now that probably wasnt the nicest thing I could of done.. :spiteful: as I know for the next hour or more he drooled uncontrollably and sweated and generally got all worked up trying to decide what set would be best for his knife! lol :thumbsup:

BURL005.jpg

BURL008.jpg

BURL012-1.jpg
BURL003.jpg

B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sir. There is some amazing burl in this thread!! ........
I should stop looking at this thread, but I cant.. Im drawn in by the beauty of these awesome pieces of wood!!!!!

:plus1::coolsign:

Some of them look like church windows IMHO. Craig Stevens had a blue pair once and I was sure they were done by Chagall...

Stefan

Talking about Craig - he put up some really nice pieces today. I would be interested in one or two of the larger blocks, depending on where the prices go, but if we all bid against each other, I'd rather pass. I hope it is o.k. To just check if anybody has his eyes on some of his pieces?

Stefan

I'm done with craig's wood for a while now, pretty much got what I need for my knives. So you can go ahead Stefan :). He has a fancy wood collection even though the price is very high. I saw some scales sold for $80, that's crazy.......

Talking about Craig - he put up some really nice pieces today. I would be interested in one or two of the larger blocks, depending on where the prices go, but if we all bid against each other, I'd rather pass. I hope it is o.k. To just check if anybody has his eyes on some of his pieces?

Stefan

I am bidding on the purple piece of black ash burl with yellow eyes and the smallish block of diamond willow burl. I also put a low ball on the big piece of teal black ash burl. Feel free to bid on that one, I won't be re-bidding, it just seemed like a shame it had zero bids, haha. I won 1 item from him last week and would like to win one more this week to combine on shipping. That's just good fiscal sense! But I fully expect to get outbid on that one. He also has some mammoth tooth/fossil scales this week.

I have to admit I am a hard core wood junky.
Had to sacrifice a virgin to the volcano gods to get this stuff.
k003-2.jpg

You know that Pele curses everyone who removes lava stone from the island, right? I have to look again, but that may also be true for removing koa ;)

Stefan

You know that Pele curses everyone who removes lava stone from the island, right? I have to look again, but that may also be true for removing koa ;)Stefan

Not if you buy it from a Native Hawaiian. Then it's good luck.

The way the Pele Curse works is not bad luck for removing a lava stone from the islands as most think.
The curse is for being such a cheap f...er that instead of buying something and supporting the local economy, they stole a rock instead.

Now back to the wood.
Pheasant Wood from where Stefan lives.

pw002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back