To be honest, Kato knife's Kanji is like wrriten by a 5 year old kid.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious if the OP Soccerman owns or has ever used a Kato, and what he thinks of the grind, heat treat, and overall performance. There are some knives on this forum termed "rustic" with a less than ideal appearance and F&F that are highly respected for performance. Teruyasu Fujiwara comes to mind. Then there are the flashy knives roundly derided. Aura Chef Chakra anyone?
Why would the Kanji be of any significance when most can't tell the difference, or even care? Do Katos not sell well in Japan? Are they ridiculed?

You guys and your pen15 jokes lol. This thread may set a record for the most responses in the least amount of time.

Back on topic:
FWIW, here are 2 examples of engraving in the style commonly used by sword smiths (which is the style the Kato knives are intended to replicate):

pyld1o.jpg

rcHAtZ.jpg

Since Kato is also a licensed swordsmith, I suppose this may be intentional?

Either way, I personally like how the kanji stands apart from others… seems fitting for his knifemaking style. I've had quibbles with Shigefusa Kasumi kanji where parts are incomplete, but the most recent gyuto was.

I think there's a cultural aspect of this that may be missed by a lot of people and really may be understood by people who have gone through the traditional process of learning to write chinese/kanji. It actually goes beyond aesthetics. For example, when learning traditionally to write a character, you are supposed to follow the exact set of strokes in the right order and direction, of the right length and balance of the character. This isn't about calligraphy, this is simply writing of the characters correctly you don't need to learn calligraphy to learn to write properly in chinese/kanji. It isn't wrong because it is ugly, it is ugly because it is wrong. We're pretty much taught to be bothered by it.

If I wrote like Kato in elementary school, my parents wouldnt let me slept until I can figure it out how to write.

I wasn't really able to put into words what the issue was until OP posted the line above. That really strikes close to home.

Add engineers to that list... personally being one and having read a lot i think surgeon's/doctor's handwriting looks like perfect calligraphy in comparison

Something that's changed quite a bit with the advent of computer graphics. Back in the dark ages when drawings were done by hand, engineers' printing was extremely legible (for the most part. Mine was always sub-par.) A class in drafting and lettering was required to get the degree.

As far as cursive writing goes, there's a big furor in our state right now because cursive writing is being dropped from the curricula of public schools. People don't write by hand much anymore, and the kids are taking other classes rather than learning cursive writing. They can't read things in cursive--and how do they sign their names?

I think there's a cultural aspect of this that may be missed by a lot of people and really may be understood by people who have gone through the traditional process of learning to write chinese/kanji. It actually goes beyond aesthetics. For example, when learning traditionally to write a character, you are supposed to follow the exact set of strokes in the right order and direction, of the right length and balance of the character. This isn't about calligraphy, this is simply writing of the characters correctly you don't need to learn calligraphy to learn to write properly in chinese/kanji. It isn't wrong because it is ugly, it is ugly because it is wrong. We're pretty much taught to be bothered by it.

I wasn't really able to put into words what the issue was until OP posted the line above. That really strikes close to home.

I think that is some of the best insight of this whole thread! Thank you. I think a lot of us underestimate certain cultural aspects that are so unfamiliar to us that they seem strange.

Any help translating this kanji soccerman? Looks like a drunk 5 year old engraved it.
p5pb12251704.jpg

p5pb12251701.jpg

Something that's changed quite a bit with the advent of computer graphics. Back in the dark ages when drawings were done by hand, engineers' printing was extremely legible (for the most part. Mine was always sub-par.) A class in drafting and lettering was required to get the degree.

As far as cursive writing goes, there's a big furor in our state right now because cursive writing is being dropped from the curricula of public schools. People don't write by hand much anymore, and the kids are taking other classes rather than learning cursive writing. They can't read things in cursive--and how do they sign their names?

I should day i totally agree.... Though i will say print is different from writing. My old boss came through from being a drafter to engineer so when drawing properly by hand his print was amazing... but when writing review comments on drawings etc his writing was atrocious.

I am the same... i can print ok well when drawing but my handwriting (done in cursive) is woeful... i even struggle to comprehend it at times.

I think that is some of the best insight of this whole thread! Thank you. I think a lot of us underestimate certain cultural aspects that are so unfamiliar to us that they seem strange.

However i also say that it isn't entirely applicable because you can't create kanji engraving how it is meant to be done. There is a disconnect between written kanji and engraved, it is unfortunate part.

And maybe Kato never learnt it properly because of his education who knows...

Are people saying he shouldn't ever write it because he wasn't taught it properly? Are people saying his product is inferior because of it?

That is why I think AllanP provided the best response (ignoring some language use) he bothered to tell people the difference between scripts... essentislly from my understanding like cursive vs print in english writing. As opposed to saying "his handwriting is that of a 5 year old". Which it clearly isn't.

I'm just a newbie to the entire kitchen knife scene, but I hoped to offer my limited experiences with kanji writing. From my own observations, Japan, for certain things, seems to place a lot of emphasis on not just the results of something, but also on every aspect of the process (for example, in Japanese archery the way you walk, pull the bow, and aim is just as important if not more so than if you actually hit the bulls-eye). I had a chance to study calligraphy in the calligraphy club at my Japanese high school for a short time, and there were very strict rules and procedures about what goes where, how far apart the different strokes needed to be, how long strokes were compared to others in order to make an aesthetically pleasing image (at least at the beginner level as more experienced artists took liberties or changed things). This is not to diminish the cutting, grind, or other aspects of Kato's knives or the validity of other's like or dislike of the simple nature of his kanji, and I don't feel versed enough in writing kanji to make my own judgment on the subject. But I can somewhat understand how some might not like the aesthetics of the kanji if they dislike the simplistic nature of it or the way the strokes are done, similar to how some might like or dislike a printscreen logo on a knife.

FFIW it might be engraved by his child, and if so, it's even more amazing.

It's his mark, his trademark in a way, if this had bothered him or his customers I am pretty sure he would change it. And if his Kanji is apparently so ugly that it bothers "normal person" sight, I am sure he is well aware about it. ;-/ And as Maxim mentioned, this kanji has history behind it.

There are many logos and trademarks that are not aesthetically pleasant, Apple's apple is a good example. But oh well...

Been away from KKF for a while but here are my two bits and one and a half cents:

There are differences between calligraphy as art and calligraphy as applied art. I'm not informed nor educated sufficiently in Chinese nor Japanese to judge Kanji calligraphy as art though I have seen and appreciated many that I think are fine examples. However calligraphy as applied art has some other considerations that has to do with design and how it is used for branding, communication and product placement.

Excellently rendered calligraphy is one thing when it's on an art scroll but may be not so appropriate on a certain product. Likewise with typography. A beautiful classic font like Garamond may come across as old fashioned and 'wrong' for a product or communication that requires a more modern typeface. On the other hand the much reviled typeface Comic Sans may be ugly and well, comical but it nonetheless may be absolutely just right when a funny, casual and garish look is required.

While I'll defend the OP's right to his/her opinion regarding the calligraphy on Kato knives I do not agree with it. Being very familiar with the particular 'personality' of my Workhorse having used it regularly for over a couple of years I do like the calligraphy on the Kato. The "straight from the shoulder, I think like a soldier" sort of style in the calligraphy is indeed so very appropriate to the characteristics of what makes the Kato what it is.

As for those who think that calligraphy on knives is totally superfluous and dismiss it as nonsense and a waste of time just consider this: a painstaking mirror finish may be an obsession to some but totally unnecessary to others. The same for beautifully crafted handles. We should all be allowed our own personal aesthetic obsessions.

Wow, amazing discussion... I especially loved Jon's comparison.. haha. I suppose the only flaw in his example is that people get Ferrari's to get chicks, I hardly imagine people getting Kato for that reason, unless to easily dispose of chicks hahahaha:)

I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer here, as for me, it doesn't matter, as I know it'll perform like a thoroughbred, but for someone, it could be a deal maker. Only valid vote here, is with your wallet

:)

Has anyone confirmed if kato knives are as popular in japan as they appear to be outside of japan? at the very least on this forum.

Back