Tojiro DP is not what it used to be?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happened to stop by at a kitchen supplies store near my wife's work and found some re-badged DPs being sold at a pretty good price under the Ice Bear name. I thought they looked superb - geometry from what I could tell was excellent and the F&F was perfect. And then I got into an argument with some aggressive lil bastid there who kept insisting that the Shuns were made from 'damascus'. *cough*

Did you win or did you end up agreeing to disagree?

Did you win or did you end up agreeing to disagree?

haha... I went through the usual points - showed them the lamination line and explained about the soft cladding and the hard core - and he said 'whatever dude the rep said the steel is "folded damascus" so what would you know? and anyway are you here to buy something or tell us about knives?' and I said 'no I'm just here to fool around with your stock and waste your time but I buy all my shiet online... have a nice time bs'ing your customers'.

I actually didn't want to antagonize anyone cuz it was such a beautiful day, I had just been offered a great new opp at work and I was going to take my kid to Sydney Aquarium, and I said 'settle yourself down' a couple times but I guess he didn't take kindly to being made to look like a tool in front of the underlings lol.

They had good sale prices on some of the MAC Pros and even had a range of Dojos which I was tempted to buy until I realised that they were not Blue#2 cored but the box read 'cobalt s/s'. Interesting. Good fit and finish though. Another interesting detail - they had that distinctive Dojo logo with the two horizontal lines inside the circle but the box read 'Kumagoro' IIRC so I guess that indicates that the two brands are somehow related.

They had good sale prices on some of the MAC Pros and even had a range of Dojos which I was tempted to buy until I realised that they were not Blue#2 cored but the box read 'cobalt s/s'. Interesting. Good fit and finish though. Another interesting detail - they had that distinctive Dojo logo with the two horizontal lines inside the circle but the box read 'Kumagoro' IIRC so I guess that indicates that the two brands are somehow related.

I saw someone note somewhere that multiple factories seem to be using the Dojo name for whatever reason.

How's that for a vague bit of conjecture!?

Makes sense. I think Kumagoro might be a distributor like Takahisa and Ice Bear, rather than a maker. And that would've been me - I mentioned that GTKC sells the Hayashi Dojos and EE the Kobayashi Dojos.

Back