Top 5 best price/performance gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i'm waiting on Tosho's new site and new arrivals due for the upcoming two months... I'm also waiting for metalmaster to restock those tanaka 240 in blue paper 2. At 130$ it's a screaming deal even in usd...

I'm going to have to say anything Gesshin for the amazing additional QC and features over their non-gesshin counterparts.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Carbonext line yet because it is a great deal if you sharpen well.

Sub $200 for the takamura migaki r2 after fixing any potential issues with factory sharpening is also amazing IMHO

So I want to add a bit about the Tanaka, its a great knife but not without issues. Mine came pretty bent and the handle is terrible. I had it rehandled at Tosho but I mean by the time you do that you end up with a knife costing around 350 cad or so. And at that price you can buy a completely finished knife from a reputable retailer with no issues. Just my two cents.

So I want to add a bit about the Tanaka, its a great knife but not without issues. Mine came pretty bent and the handle is terrible. I had it rehandled at Tosho but I mean by the time you do that you end up with a knife costing around 350 cad or so. And at that price you can buy a completely finished knife from a reputable retailer with no issues. Just my two cents.

I get it, but you can ease the spine and choil yourself. If you pick up a decent replacement handle you can also install that yourself. I would consider it a very good deal at ~160 with an inexpensive handle and some sandpaper...and a little labor;)

I get it, but you can ease the spine and choil yourself. If you pick up a decent replacement handle you can also install that yourself. I would consider it a very good deal at ~160 with an inexpensive handle and some sandpaper...and a little labor;)

Yeah that is true, maybe if you can grab a handle straight from japan you can do it all yourself for not too much. I still am doing the easing of the choil myself and I did spend a bit extra on a nicer handle.

Anryu Hammered
Itinomonn
Yoshikane
Wakui
Kurosaki AS

All of these are really well priced

Kurosaki AS (my top pick), the rest are in no specific order
Kochi
Itinomonn
Misono Dragon
Gesshin _____

But that's just based on my own experience

Yoshikane SKD 210mm, a shade under $200 at Epicurean Edge (with forum discount).

The best price for performance is the tojiro Dp. It's cheap and does the best for it's price. Sure the more expensive ones get sharper but also with a much steeper price

The best price for performance is the tojiro Dp. It's cheap and does the best for it's price. Sure the more expensive ones get sharper but also with a much steeper price

Not personally a fan of the dp, but sharpness has nothing to do with price.

Not personally a fan of the dp, but sharpness has nothing to do with price.
This seems to be true. Cheap carbons are usually cheaper than cheap stainless knives... The carbonext is a good option for sure, for about the same price HiromotosToGo has this Kanehide TK knife that is *supposedly* the same blend that Kikuichi uses for the TKC (I'm pretty doubtful about this but have not used the Kikuichi TKC)... In my experience the Kanehide holds the same keen edge a little longer than the CN but has much more neutral geometry and is ground quite thin compared to the CN. The handle on the Kanehide though... poop.

I just got a 210 Tadafusa Nashiji for a Rehandle project (will follow up on that). Paid something close to $82 for it off eBay and it is pretty damn impressive for the price - Blue #2, nice grind, wa handle that does not suck at all. For what it means otb edge was real impressive also. Without a doubt the best sub $100 wa gyuto out there, unfortunately not offered in 240.

It's all relative, as I haven't spent less than $200 on a knife in a couple years, but Gesshin Ginga is the first answer that comes to mind.

FWIW the Hiromoto AUS-10 240mm has a bit more of a workhorse grind, not quite as thin at the tip. I'm assuming you've not thinned your 270

I highly recomend takeda sasanoha. its not their gyuto, however, it is the same size and shape as regular gyuto's. egde retention is ridiculous (super blue), extremely sharp, easy to sharpen, feels great in hand and not too mention the beautiiful kurouchi finish. I bought mine for 300 when it first came out, but even now at 500 with the stainless, it is worth every penny.

Konusuke hd2 would be at the top of my list as well. I have some friends with them and they love them. I have a suji hd2 and love it!!!

I have a kato 210 gyuto. It is my favourite by far, however a tough knife to come across. Very sharp. White steel 2. Highly recommended as well.

Good luck on your search.

I finally settle on a 240mm Masakage Shimo wich was about 210$ CAD on sale on a online canadian store. Couln't let pass this one. I guess the quest is over ;)

What about the Carbonext? Don't seem to be very popular any more but I still like mine, very low maintenance and the fit and finish is excellent for the money

Tojiro DP is a nice knife but the cladding is ridiculously soft so if you're starting off sharpening it'll mess it up

here 240 is sold out though, appears they are clearing out the masakage.

Graceinthekitchen.ca but they are almost sold out... But there's great deals left that's for sure!

Back