Top 5 best price/performance gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the Mizu 240 gyuto, always wondered about that knife, but cheap handle stopped me. At this price, I can replace the handle if I like the knife. :D

Yeah I'm in the USA and wouldn't have minded to grab one of those myself. Looks like the price is pretty well standardized everywhere else. Not quite willing to drop $300 bills on one. Wonder if any of the Shimo 240 Wa's can be had in Japan somewhere.

What a fantastic thread. My budget is pretty modest, and it was really helpful to see so many good bang-for-the-buck knives listed. There were several knives mentioned here that weren't on my radar. I'll be doing some more research on the tanakas and I'm really intrigued by the powdered steel Tojiros (not the DP).

I love this forum!

Yeah I'm in the USA and wouldn't have minded to grab one of those myself. Looks like the price is pretty well standardized everywhere else. Not quite willing to drop $300 bills on one. Wonder if any of the Shimo 240 Wa's can be had in Japan somewhere.

Wait until febuary. Knifewear is putting masakages on 15% off. At $300 that's $255 cad so roughly $200 us.

What a fantastic thread. My budget is pretty modest, and it was really helpful to see so many good bang-for-the-buck knives listed. There were several knives mentioned here that weren't on my radar. I'll be doing some more research on the tanakas and I'm really intrigued by the powdered steel Tojiros (not the DP).

I love this forum!

The Tojiro F-521 240mm Powder got shipped from James in Australia for 150.00. That is a good price have seen them at 200.00 on some sites. It is deff. worth it to pay a little more for a much better knife than the Tojiro DP.

The Tanaka Gensanko pear finish 240mm 120.00 from Metalmaster

Gesshin Ginga 240mm stain resistant laser type even at 250.00 it's a good deal

These are a few of my favorite bang for the buck gyuto's

Yamawaku, Misono Dragon (remember those?), Kochi, Gesshin Ginga, Tanaka Blue 2. As a write-in, I'll add ZKramer when they are on sale.

Honestly, I could have stopped at my Misono Dragon, and never fallen into this whole crazy kitchen knife world, and been very happy. I'm glad that didn't happen, but I don't think I would have really been losing out had that been the case.

The Tojiro F-521 240mm Powder got shipped from James in Australia for 150.00. That is a good price have seen them at 200.00 on some sites. It is deff. worth it to pay a little more for a much better knife than the Tojiro

I'm curious how difficult the powdered steel is to sharpen. My set consists of a DMT fine, a 14 year old Shapton 1000, a 14 year old Shapton 8000, and piece of leather welding apron glued to 1/2" plate glass and charged with a $2.00 chromium oxide crayon from harbor freight. Not the most sophisticated kit in the world. I've hand sharpening my straight razors, plane blades, and chisels for a while and I can get those to take an acceptable edge. Up to this point, I've been using a chef's choice for my German steel knives.

When I started using O1 tool steel plane blades from Veritas, I noticed a big difference in sharpening difficulty vs my 100 year old carbon steel plane blades. I'm betting that powdered steel in the knives will be even tougher.

Given that I have no experience hand sharpening knives, do you think there is an advantage to using an easier to sharpen steel? One thing I was thinking is that uber hard powdered steel might be the best thing to learn on because it will take 5x as long to sharpen, which is a great way to develop the muscle memory without turning my gyuto into a fillet knife. :)

Just to clarify early morning muddled post above, my real question is whether or not powdered steel is appropriate to learn to sharpen on. I should mention that the only j-knife I currently have is a Tojiro DP 120mm petty that I've only had for a few days. I've never attempted to freehand sharpen a kitchen knife (although my Shaptons are soaking in the sink and I'll be giving it a go in 15 mins).

I think the conventional wisdom is that you should learn to sharpen on something easy like carbon steel. I'm guessing this is because it gives better feedback in the sense that you can see what you've done very quickly after only a few strokes, that way you can make adjustments to technique. I'm wondering if there is an argument to be made for doing the opposite and picking a knife that forces you to spend a great deal of time with the stones.

Just to clarify early morning muddled post above, my real question is whether or not powdered steel is appropriate to learn to sharpen on. I should mention that the only j-knife I currently have is a Tojiro DP 120mm petty that I've only had for a few days. I've never attempted to freehand sharpen a kitchen knife (although my Shaptons are soaking in the sink and I'll be giving it a go in 15 mins).

I think the conventional wisdom is that you should learn to sharpen on something easy like carbon steel. I'm guessing this is because it gives better feedback in the sense that you can see what you've done very quickly after only a few strokes, that way you can make adjustments to technique. I'm wondering if there is an argument to be made for doing the opposite and picking a knife that forces you to spend a great deal of time with the stones.

The general argument for using carbon for learning is that it is much easier to remove the burr on carbon...most stainless will drive a new sharpener nuts trying. Sharpen what you've got, you'll learn what you need to know either way...just go slow and pay attention. PM steel is not difficult to sharpen imo.

I'm wondering if there is an argument to be made for doing the opposite and picking a knife that forces you to spend a great deal of time with the stones.

I'm not the one to ask about semi-stainless and PM steels, as I have far less experience with these, and actually no PM experience. However, when it comes to the former, to me it's not about time and things taking longer. It's more about their feel when compared to the 'standard' Yasugi/Hitachi carbon steels. Others have a gumminess to me, and so when you're sharpenning them things are less distinct, maybe take longer, and just seem less defined. You can't feel where you're at, your bevels, etc, as much. Less satisfying, sure, and also less confidence-inspiring.

Price/Performance

Tadafusa Nashiji
Itinomonn
Suisin Inox Western
Tanaka w/ Knives & Stones Tune Up
Kikuichi TKC - Not sure what price it is at now or if even still around, I got one new for $170 and it is still one of my best overall performers in cutting ability, edge retention and a perfect balance of laser vs workhorse, even in the $200 range it is still a deal.

If sharpening takes longer more errors are to be expected

Quite true, logically. But as a side note, people often value speed in their stones and sharpening. Being quick doesn't necessarily mean better. Most people might be pretty imprecise, and so if working and finishing quickly they might do less damage. On the other hand, patience has to be a good thing too. About errors, while taking longer could compond them, with extra time you might also be able to spot and correct them during the session, or maybe the amount of passes on the stone will even things out.

I only have experience sharpening 3 powder steels Hap40, SRS15, & the Tojiro HSPS. I have heard that some powder steels are hard to sharpen, however with my experience with these steels it is simply not the case. I can raise a burr heel to tip with a 4K gesshin. Burr removal not a problem.

They can take a very fine edge and retention is superior to most knives. I especially like the grind on the Tojiro F-521. Tho the grind is thin behind the edge, this is not a light laser type blade. It has some weight and is a very good cutter.

I have become a fan of these powder steels thinned out my Akifusa, the Tojiro needs no thinning IMO.

If you can pick an older one up on BST and is a good deal will get snapped up fast. Got this perfect older Takeda 270mm for 300.00 on BST

oSfexCgxoPxB4lQvHDK_UB6PFBoKks7v4LVoX57mJZ4DmQ4TY4IbVJbsujskzcf97L3vQRjVddL61PzuIaz_z_Hh6ZEONAdZGR_8baQmjFGaZ7cG0E-CTXiBia3xDF-Pe_JjtFPIA11ckUzSyRr4HA_uW2Kgraat6RhDqUaorMBeIFtRY6zwU9XQNppffggc0hUOnupmGGam39OO5GgKU2P6Ns4QojJ5Tkg7OJJnLNob0ZNFae5H7uBAj8bpHmqUWhSDVVrcM4uvByllEc7clz8VgD51SIzbf7O6d06P2NzlbEqzRmoiUAEgIViqugVvXGH7GYUjcupXgPr1DoQs11gv1R-v87qMSKzgx5_1NI-fa8a7xCwbYkgux50JvPHtgxPm4Mrd7VgAXri-d9LPJXyfp6UvuYk89k4I35xrT6ksZy8EGDvoduEdVbphPDF4YFUvZoVMYzwlDRFHaWFJHGQrXeRGrET9Jnsopre-cI-tdGXJus3O4VwUzUoGFHv0FpGR-6sYCM_kXdkyq3quZAnsiImedwj9oqma2XdJFjg=w1114-h835-no

Anyone have thoughts on Tanaka Ginsan or Blue #2 vs. Tadafusa as far as value?

to me, tadafusa > tanaka, but i didnt even use my tanaka once due to its effd up profile.

hi,

I'm very new to the japanese knives world and shopping for my first one is like a never ending quest... to help me through my journey i just want to know about the best deals out there at any price mark, steels or handle. I know it must be a hard one for the ''connaiseurs'' but let's just have fun and see your top 5 nominees for pure price/performance ratio!

If you want a Japanese Wa handle knife, here are my favorites.

Best knife for your money. Masamoto KS 240mm or 270mm. It's the most replicated knife in all of Japanese knives.

Retails for $340 or so, but you can find them on on Ebay every once in a while for $300 or so, for a brand new one.

Japanese knife imports, also sells a knife laser in the Gesshin Ginga is also pretty nice. It's made my Ashi Hamono, which is a very reputable knife maker.

Moritaka makes a nice knife, but you have to want the kurouchi finish. I'm not a huge fan of that finish. I like a polished knife. Konosuke is also very nice, if you can find them in stock.

But most of these knifes are heavily based and styled on the Masamoto KS .

If you want a Japanese Wa handle knife, here are my favorites.

Best knife for your money. Masamoto KS 240mm or 270mm. It's the most replicated knife in all of Japanese knives.

Retails for $340 or so, but you can find them on on Ebay every once in a while for $300 or so, for a brand new one.

Japanese knife imports, also sells a knife laser in the Gesshin Ginga is also pretty nice. It's made my Ashi Hamono, which is a very reputable knife maker.

Moritaka makes a nice knife, but you have to want the kurouchi finish. I'm not a huge fan of that finish. I like a polished knife. Konosuke is also very nice, if you can find them in stock.

But most of these knifes are heavily based and styled on the Masamoto KS .

The KS series has apparently fallen off a lot in consistency and fit and finish over the years, you can also find them for much cheaper if you purchase them from Rakuten, an online Japanese market, I think they were around 26000yen last time I saw them. Also Moritaka isn't too popular on this forum due to some of their knives having terrible overgrinds.

The KS series has apparently fallen off a lot in consistency and fit and finish over the years, you can also find them for much cheaper if you purchase them from Rakuten, an online Japanese market, I think they were around 26000yen last time I saw them. Also Moritaka isn't too popular on this forum due to some of their knives having terrible overgrinds.

+ Handle issues no excuse for a 300.00+ blade.

How about those wakuis selling in the low 100$, didn't heard much about them...

Anyone try the Ikazuchi AS stainless clad from JKI? Looks real thin for a san mai. Maybe one of the better AS clad in terms of blade geometry. 200.00 with saya for 240mm seems like a fair price.

Anyone try the Ikazuchi AS stainless clad from JKI? Looks real thin for a san mai. Maybe one of the better AS clad in terms of blade geometry. 200.00 with saya for 240mm seems like a fair price.

Definitely would like to hear about this as well. The value seems to be much better than other Stainless clad options out there.

Definitely would like to hear about this as well. The value seems to be much better than other Stainless clad options out there.

I do not usually push a knife unless I have used it. A cook friend was looking for a 210mm line knife. Told him to check out the Ikazuchi AS. He bought it & gave to me to treat the handle and saya with tung oil & clear shellac mix. After my coats dry will sharpen it & cook a few dinners. Post pictures & thoughts on knife review.:)

hi!
Best price performance in the deathstar-laser-segment are Ashi swedish stainless knifes.. to bad they dont take private customer orders any more ;( .. most often better cutting than Konosuke knifes.

I'm looking to get a Masamoto KS 240mm, and came across a "stainless SW" model? The seller says this is EXACTLY the same as the Masamoto KS 240mm, except it's SWEDISH STAINLESS. I've seen dozens of people said they had wish the KS came in a stainless. Also, it appears that the KS is serious the most copied knife around. Mark Richmond claims his LASER line, and even the Addict is a replica of the KS, as well as some others I've see like the Konosuke, and can't remember all of the others I've said.

Does anyone know if the Masamoto stainless KS AKA "SW" is truly a real Masamoto?

There is the link below. This seems to be a new business, and carries an interesting array of whetstones. Has anyone purchased from this shop yet?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/251733190/masamoto-240mm-chef-sw-ks-stainless?ref=shop_home_active_14

Yes, it is a "real" Masamoto. Korin carries them as well: http://korin.com/Masamoto-Swedish-St...tegory=8549827

BTW, the Addict is not a Masamoto KS clone; you're thinking of the Ultimatum, and only the profile is the same - the geometry is very different.

Rick

Latest posts

Back