Trending Larger or Smaller?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home cook here. I'm definitely trending towards smaller knives.

My 240 knives tend to stay in the rack. My most used knife is a 180 Watanabe gyuto. Really great knife.

Smaller knives just suit the way I do most of my cutting.

In the not so distant future I'll probably do a kind of review/comparison of various smaller all-purpose knives, since they don't really get as much attention. Perhaps a little teaser?
ouzs80F.jpg

G9zZufn.jpg

uhWVuM6.jpg

OT but how do you rate the edge properties of the Takamura to the Carter?

Rick

Home cook here, but will take a 270 any day of the week. Rarely reach for anything else

OT but how do you rate the edge properties of the Takamura to the Carter?
This is something I'm going to describe in more detail when I do my reviews, but I think there are few surprises, unless one is suckered by hyperbole. Powdered stainless requires a little more work to get a great edge on, but holds a good edge for a fairly long time.

Admittedly I don't really notice night-day differences in my knives' edge longevity or in maximum attainable sharpness, and therefore don't give them so much emphasis.

I am a home cook and I always use a 240, even though my kitchen isn't that big.

I vastly prefer 240 over 210 for most stuff, but I like having my 210 be more of a tougher/workhorse knife. I wouldn't want to go any smaller unless I was really pressed for space

Personally I prefer using my 210 gyuto or 180 santoku at work for most tasks espically when on the line, unless I need to prep tons of stuff then its time for the 240's.

don't like dinky knives, but at home use a little one cause it doesnt take up much space.

Even at work would see some guys using small knives, 240mm my favorite, however also kept a 270 in my kit for some jobs. Have a large endgrain at home mostly still use the 240mm

Back in the day I had 210mm as my main prep knife ,when I switched to 240s it was areal eureka moment have never looked back.But I have recently switched from 300mm yanagi to a 240 during service and that really works for me.At home I have tons of space,so I dont have to limit myself there.

I have two 210mm gyutos and they are nice to work with for some stuff (well, one at least, the other is kept in pristine unused condition) but in general I do find them a bit too dainty (6'3'' guy here). They would be great for most women though.

I mostly favour the 240-260mm blades, large enough for most anything and you don't need to pump much when rock-chopping (I mostly use German steel)

I work in a detail-oriented tasting menu place, and I use a 210mm "laser" gyuto every day. I never need more length, and the low height and close tip allow for very fine work. I've tried longer and thicker knives, but it feels like using a hunting knife when you need a scalpel.

I am a home cook and while I did replace 210 gyuto with 240 because I found the 210 a bit too short for slicing, my most used knife is Carter Funayuki 167 mm (which I love dearly). Had it been 180 it would be optimal, but 167 works perfectly well. I only reach for different/smaller knife for specific tasks.

Started off with 210mm and moved to 240mm. I have some lovely 270mm knives, buy I'm too short to use them effectively.

Just received two of my small knives back from rehandling.

135mm Zakuri funayuki:
Hdk6DUQ.jpg

This knife is just wicked awesome. Light and well balanced to feel like a kitchen scalpel, it is the kind of knife that makes you look for stuff to cut. With the bevels tweaked a bit, it's one of my best (and I think I have some good stuff). 135mm of course is on the shorter end, but it's such a brilliant little knife, I choose it over larger knives even for tasks out of its normal domain.

Carter 150ish funayuki:
sdLorip.jpg

I don't have a huge amount of experience with this knife, but look at how sleek that handle is...it's practically a tang condom. The knife balances very nicely and feels alive in the hand. The size is excellent for the majority of kitchen tasks, and I think the profile is pretty good for general use. As a home user, these knives sit easily on my cramped kitchen counter or around the board without me worrying about bumping it or smacking the ege into something.

I actually think my ideal "all-purpose" range is 170-180mm, but smaller knives like these are awesome for some tasks, and sometimes stretching a bit longer is a good idea.

Mostly 225 - 240 or 10" carbon as I have the board space. I used to use 270's, but they really are big. I have a 165mm Carter Funayuki that I use the most it's the perfect small knife. Next busiest knife is my Del paring knife I love that thing.

If space is limited I prefer a 190mm santoku over a 210mm gyuto, but otherwise I like a somewhat blade-heavy 270mm gyuto on a low working table. My grip has moved a bit forward. No chopping, no walking please.

In my experience, in professional environments I've been in, 270 is considered huge.

My oldest knife back from my catering days was a 10in Victorinox chef knife. Since I've learned to sharpen I re-discovered it and still is the first one i'm carrying around without fear of it being damaged. I find 250 is the optimal lenght for a chef knife, large enough for practically any task and still quite nimble.

First Japanese blade was a 200 gyuto and since than i'm trending more to the bigger ones. Gyutos/chef knives wise I now have my 200, a 240, a 247 and two 250. I often cook for a lot of people and I find a 270 would be just perfect for let's stay shredding a whole cabbage. i do have a decent size end grain board, but my next purchase will probably be a even larger one (again shredding that cabbage demands space).

Because I feel I would use it a lot (my sujis see a lot of action), I will be looking for a nice 270 gyuto next. And to complete the circle and for smaller jobs, maybe the 180 takamura R2 discussed here as it looks like a hell of a small laser.

270 Watanabe Gyuto when there is room. An old CCk 1102 when it's tight.
Doing a crate of onions with anything smaller or lighter is just too much bloody work!

Geeze thats a long pinch grip. Or a big hand maybe its just the camera angle

holding a light 135:
M0fSdFR.jpg

OK I don't really hold it like that.

For prep, at least 10" blade, makes the work a lot faster. For service, 6" slicing victorinox and the same 10" tramontina if any salicing needed. And I would really love to have an 270mm blade, I would use it for everything.

JJ

Latest posts

Back