Tsourkan knives news?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even when he was producing a few years ago it was a sh!t show. As already mentioned, no great loss with so many worthy established and up-and-coming Western makers who are only too happy to demonstrate a modicum of customer service. I buy the maker as much as the knife which is why I will never own a CJA or a Tsourkan (the two Tsourkan's I had were either rust pitted (used Yo handled) or had an overgrind in the heel (new) from his mega release in 2019). Tbh I didn't like the feel of the san mai Western I had, which felt too light and unbalanced in the blade.

I bought my CJA (from a not-original owner) before reading about Cris falling off the edge and apparently being seen posting politically unsavory stuff on social media while not finishing orders. In this instance, I did not buy the maker at all. The knife is a pretty and well-made object, and I think it came from the time when he still honored the client.

CJA = Chris Anderson?

I'm not familiar with the story. What was "politically unsavory" and he has delivery issues? Is he still in business?

Just curious.

Pics required
Someday. I'm too lazy and there are too many. Kramer, Rader, Wilburn, Carter, and many other ABS. I own 23 Shigefusa. My life is in a bit of an adjustment period. I survived a near death motorcycle accident years ago, and am only returning to my former self in the last 6 months.

My life is in a bit of an adjustment period. I survived a near death motorcycle accident years ago, and am only returning to my former self in the last 6 months.
I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. How terrifying! I'm very, very glad to hear that you are now on the mend. Obviously do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself. I assume there's been a lot of medical intervention, rehab, etc., both physical and mental. Wishing you continued healing and recovery 🙏

As for your knife collection, no worries, I will just use my imagination and dream from afar.

Take care!

My 2 cents, I was in contact with him about that last batch of knives he posted and got to the point where he was just making a handle/saya combo for one. I payed him, heard back one more time, then silence since about August. It's frustrating, but no sense in whinging about it. I do hope he's well, but definitely wouldn't recommend bothering to reach out unless he comes back in a big way.
I had a similar situation, but a year ago

Honestly I thought I was showing him some sympathy 🤣.

I was only speaking facts and trying to prevent others from making the same mistakes I did. When he’s in a bind he may ask for money upfront but then his physical/mental health may prevent him from completing the job.

He had a raffle to raise $10k for the war effort. I don’t think he actually came thru with the knives from that.

I thought you were too and that's why I was trying to add on to what you were saying. Apologies if it felt like I was singling you out :)

I was also unaware that Marko did a raffle/pre-buy and disappeared with a bunch of people's money. That is definitely not okay. I thought folks were more speaking about how he was difficult to communicate with, would take a long time to deliver, etc, which certainly was his MO for a long time. That's a little different than outright fraud in my eyes.

Unfortunately, many talented makers can’t deal with success or when a hobby becomes a business. Not an excuse, just how it is and I am not defending this behavior at all. Buyers should not support bad behavior and taking people’s money and not delivering is undoubtedly bad behavior. What gives me pause is talks of bad heat treat or bad grinds, etc on Marko’s knives I haven’t heard of these issues over the years and every knife I’ve had from him has been excellent with excellent fit and finish and extremely good performance. Many things are personal preference of course but even so a good knife is a good knife even when it is not perfect for someone. I’ve had close to 20 Marko knives go through my hands and I’ve never seen an issue. Now, I am sure that the one instance in this thread of over grind happened, as these things happen to most makers, but I haven’t heard of other instances of this, so must’ve not happen too often. The bad or mediocre heat treat claims are surprising to me as this hasn’t been my experience and Marko had a pretty well established heat treating protocols and I’ve never heard of complains about his heat treats until now. Heat treat is such an amorphous subject as far as the end user is concerned that I am not sure how one can determine good vs better. Bad heat treat is easier in the sense that if you use a certain steel from many makers you can get an idea of what it should perform like, but even then geometry has such a huge effect on performance that it is very difficult to determine what causes what exactly. Personally I wouldn’t be concerned over Marko’s heat treat as far as I can tell and from reports from others his heat treat is good and most likely very good.

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. How terrifying! I'm very, very glad to hear that you are now on the mend. Obviously do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself. I assume there's been a lot of medical intervention, rehab, etc., both physical and mental. Wishing you continued healing and recovery 🙏

As for your knife collection, no worries, I will just use my imagination and dream from afar.

Take care!
Appreciate it. I spent 20 years in the military, but when I retired I almost died. I actually did for 2 minutes but they brought me back. I had a crushed chest - all metal now, and a severe traumatic brain injury, and 2 more pages. I'm a rare case of recovery. It's taken almost 5 years, but I'm coming around. About the knives, I have so many I don't know where to start. And expensive ones, no cheap starter knives. Easily over $100k, and I am not rich. Just been collecting so long. And watches like the boss suggested...no, none of those.

Appreciate it. I spent 20 years in the military, but when I retired I almost died. I actually did for 2 minutes but they brought me back. I had a crushed chest - all metal now, and a severe traumatic brain injury, and 2 more pages. I'm a rare case of recovery. It's taken almost 5 years, but I'm coming around. About the knives, I have so many I don't know where to start. And expensive ones, no cheap starter knives. Easily over $100k, and I am not rich. Just been collecting so long. And watches like the boss suggested...no, none of those.
You're incredibly lucky to be alive. Got any wisdom to pass on to us who have been in this hobby for a significantly shorter time than you? What do you tend to grab the most for your daily cooking? Any favourite makers? What do you like in terms of knife profile?, Favourite steels?

Apologies for the many questions

Huh, so you haven't recovered enough to remember I lent you those Shigs... 🤬

😁

You're incredibly lucky to be alive. Got any wisdom to pass on to us who have been in this hobby for a significantly shorter time than you? What do you tend to grab the most for your daily cooking? Any favourite makers? What do you like in terms of knife profile?, Favourite steels?

Apologies for the many questions
Good questions. I found out early what steel I prefer, for me, 52100. I tend to go towards makers that are bringing an impact, as opposed to the prettiest or best deal. I'd rather have one great one versus 10 cheaper ones. Ironically, I use my HSC knives lately. Considering all the knives I have, I like his good enough. My favorite maker is Michael Rader. Truly awesome. And I have 3 original Kramers.

I tip my hat, sir.

Unfortunately, many talented makers can’t deal with success or when a hobby becomes a business. Not an excuse, just how it is and I am not defending this behavior at all. Buyers should not support bad behavior and taking people’s money and not delivering is undoubtedly bad behavior. What gives me pause is talks of bad heat treat or bad grinds, etc on Marko’s knives I haven’t heard of these issues over the years and every knife I’ve had from him has been excellent with excellent fit and finish and extremely good performance. Many things are personal preference of course but even so a good knife is a good knife even when it is not perfect for someone. I’ve had close to 20 Marko knives go through my hands and I’ve never seen an issue. Now, I am sure that the one instance in this thread of over grind happened, as these things happen to most makers, but I haven’t heard of other instances of this, so must’ve not happen too often. The bad or mediocre heat treat claims are surprising to me as this hasn’t been my experience and Marko had a pretty well established heat treating protocols and I’ve never heard of complains about his heat treats until now. Heat treat is such an amorphous subject as far as the end user is concerned that I am not sure how one can determine good vs better. Bad heat treat is easier in the sense that if you use a certain steel from many makers you can get an idea of what it should perform like, but even then geometry has such a huge effect on performance that it is very difficult to determine what causes what exactly. Personally I wouldn’t be concerned over Marko’s heat treat as far as I can tell and from reports from others his heat treat is good and most likely very good.
In case there is any doubt to the voracity of my claim, this is the Marko I received with its overgrind in the flat region of the grind. Might have been an outlier, same as the warped Xerxes Primus 2 and most recently a bent Ashi Honyaki. I think I need to burn some sage.

overgrind Marko.jpg

In case there is any doubt to the voracity of my claim, this is the Marko I received with its overgrind in the flat region of the grind. Might have been an outlier, same as the warped Xerxes Primus 2 and most recently a bent Ashi Honyaki. I think I need to burn some sage.

View attachment 314060
I wasn’t doubting your experience and your account of unluck matches my experience with many excellent makers. Sometimes there are examples that are not representative of their work. As long as it doesn’t happen too often and they make it right I don’t hold it against them.

Now, I am sure that the one instance in this thread of over grind happened, as these things happen to most makers...

Usually when threads get derailed by TF stuff I’ve noticed it’s the detractors not the enthusiasts doing it.
I couldn’t resist, sorry!

(Wouldn’t consider myself a detractor either, more a bemused bystander)

My 2 cents, I was in contact with him about that last batch of knives he posted and got to the point where he was just making a handle/saya combo for one. I payed him, heard back one more time, then silence since about August. It's frustrating, but no sense in whinging about it. I do hope he's well, but definitely wouldn't recommend bothering to reach out unless he comes back in a big way.

I'm in the same batch as you re: the August knives. He actually reached out to me, offered knives, took a really nice piece of wood from me for making the handle, had the gaul to send me a photo of receipt of said wood and ghosted ever since. Nice f*****g game.

There are at least 2 other members who had the same experience from last august.

I'm in the same batch as you re: the August knives. He actually reached out to me, offered knives, took a really nice piece of wood from me for making the handle, had the gaul to send me a photo of receipt of said wood and ghosted ever since. Nice f*****g game.

There are at least 2 other members who had the same experience from last august.
It's not really that unusual. Vendors destroying their reputation by committing fraud and taking trusting clients money before retiring from the arena. If a permanent 'retirement', there is little to lose. Hopefully you guys paid with a credit card. I would say if the lost money is substantial it would be worth going to small claims court as its mail fraud and a federal offence if Tsourkan has no intention of honoring his contracts and pocketed the money.

Latest posts

Back