Twin Cities/Central MN gathering

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! So best eating and admiring pantaloons on then! (Read a-la prince George in the black adder series).... Anyone? Anyone? (Read like Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller).... I can do this all day!

Promising.... Very promising... :cold::trickydicky:

I will bring....... Nop... Surprise! Ive got a couple of new little stellar babies arriving that should be ready for the festivities! Hehehe! We should work on the unveiling....

This is going to be awesome! Hehehe

:wink:

Thanks for the text K, Ive been caught up with holidays and a new job, and not checking the forums enough.

I wouldnt miss this for the world. Ill bring some good stuff... Just got an email from Jon about a custom order that finally showed up 6mo late, but sounds like it was worth the wait.
I'll also

Also, big thanks in advance to H for making this happen and Charlie for the space.

I'll bring two Fowlers, a Devin Thomas cleaver, an Awasedo and two thank you cards. :biggrin:

Looks like we have around 6 people. Plenty of room for more!

How about a prize for longest distance traveled?

Restaurant people hanging out on the weekends... You must all be the big bosses or serious knife nuts to get out of work on a Saturday night ... sounds fun though.

Did we decide on sticking with Saturday or moving it to Sunday? Either works for me--just want to know which to plan on. Chuckles, it's your venue--so it's your call.

I have been planning for Saturday and will likely be in town around 7PM. If something changes, I will need to know, because I have already booked my hotel room.

k.

Sorry guys. I spaced on where I left this thread. 7pm Saturday. Everyones invited. I will PM the address to everyone who expressed interest in this thread. If anybody else wants to join just post in the thread or shoot me a PM and I will send the details.

Teaser: Lonza, Coppa, Filetto, Spalla and Terrines locked and loaded.

Image.jpg

That looks amazing, but the difficult question is: How on earth are we going to portion those big things out so we can fit them into our mouths? If only there were a flat object of some sort with a sharp-like edge, then we could get by I am sure. But I'm stumped on how this is going to play out ;)

k.

Sort of funny story. My wife tells me this morning that she had a dream where I went to this knife thing and never returned. Apparently I met my demise at the hands of drunk knife knuts -- she wouldn't tell me the details. So I say, "Chuckles wouldn't do that" and added that another guy is some history professor. So she throws back at me: "You mean the guy with the freaky clown face. I should trust him?"

Point made on the John Wayne Gacy clown, but more importantly -- my wife now dreams about knives :)

k.

You know you guys are making the local news here every night with the cold? Say warm. Heard antifreeze helps.

K, that is a very touching story. Sounds like your wife sees eye to eye with mine on this whole thing. :lol2:

And it is really really cold. Really cold.

I was seriously thinking about attending but unfortunately I have to cook this weekend.

Have fun guys, wish I could have made it but the joys of being a CPA during the months of December - April keep you from having a life.

Oh yeah, and make sure to post lots of pix.

I wont be able to make either... PM you Charlie.... Hope you have a blast!

Kudos and don't forget the pictures :hungry:

Karring's photo says it all--it's hard to imagine that so many excellent knives have ever been assembled in one room. I'd like to thank everyone who attended for making last night's get-together a truly awesome event. Karring brought steel from almost every custom maker and major manufacturer, whatever few things he didn't have Jason supplemented (and gave me a CCK cleaver--thanks!), and Charlie provided the space, an incredible spread of cured meats, gougeres, and other delicious food. At eight bottles of wine for the four of us, we didn't go home thirsty, either.

Some specific observations:

1) The best part of the evening (other than meeting folks) was taking about forty pounds of produce from Charlie's kitchen and really putting some knives through their paces. This is the kind of opportunity that rarely comes along, and I now have my sights set on an AM Marr poultry knife, anything from Rader or Devin, and a slicer made out of Will Catcheside's subtle and beautiful feather pattern damascus. Also, waiting for my Martell gyuto has become even more difficult after using Karring's and Jason's--as Charlie put it, if you have a Martell and you run a restaurant, the only thing you want on your menu is soup so that you can cut onions and potatoes all day long.

2) Most makers' knives look even more spectacular in person than they do in photographs. I was blown away by how well made and beautifully finished the Martell, Devin Thomas, Tsourkan, Rader, Mario, and Fowler knives were that I got to play with. Randy's meteorite damascus also has depth and dynamism that's impossible to appreciate in two dimensions.

3) Charlie's food is the best deal in the central United States. I might move simply to be in walking distance.

Again, a sincere thank you to everyone who attended or planned to attend (Scott, DeepCSwede, and Customfan, you guys were missed). This was the most fun I've had in a long time. For those who didn't make it, Jason's got about a thousand pics.

I recognize some Tojiros, Randy Hass beautie, Michael Rader garlic crushing masterpiece, some CCKs, Dave Martells, among others... Oh man! It looks like these was some awesome knife ogling going on there!

Cool review! Thanks!

:cheffry:

Did you guys plan on making this a repeat event? :cool2:

Glad you guys had fun and sounds like the sharpy thingies caused minimal casualties so all in all a success.

Sounds like a great time. Hope to see some more pictures!

K, in the picture you posted, what is the knife with the Koa handle that looks like it was made by Michael Rader?

Back