Unpopular Opinions Jr.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since Unpopular Opinions Sr. just got locked, I thought we should open a new thread for the original purpose of discourse on perspectives that go against the grain.

I'll start very mildly... in spite of enjoying some tall gyuto, I have three gyuto in the 215mm range with heel heights well under 50mm. They include a 48mm tall Wakui, 48.5mm Shindo, and 47.5mm Hatsukokoro 3 layer ginsan and I would leave their heights and profiles exactly as they are.

Cheers!

Thank you for opening this one.

The 48mm 210mm ratio for things like wakui are nice. The problem for many is when the 240mm version comes in at like 245mm long and the blade height is 49mm, I’ll never understand how you keep practically the same blade height but add an inch and half to blade length, just keep the same height and length ratio for the 240 as the 210 version has.

Thicc board, thicc knives, thicc dog, thicc wo...nevermind. Tall nakiris bang. Tall knives bang. My 57 and 60 mm tall gyutos are my favorites, makes them good scoopers. My 204x90 cleaver was a reaaally nice size, I'm still getting used to the 110 mm tall Sugimoto but haven't used it much yet, been waiting for ARM.

289612-f6a36170fba1377db66cf1cb79456650.jpeg

Back