Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The overuse/incorrect use of "W1" and "W2" here on the BST forum...
yeah I get you mean white #1 and white #2
but W1 and W2 are actual different steel grades
maybe I'm over sensitive but I feel like I'm seeing this abuse :D more and more

I’d like to think its less abuse, but just more people are being interested home cooking and nice cutlery… and being a little overconfident with some internet research. I think fairly recently realized they were different when a maker listed w2 and white paper 2 separately in their website so i am guilty of this too.

I've eaten chicken feets. No bones in any of them, just those crunchy cartlidge things. Definitely trim the nails....
Gotta be a little careful to avoid the razor sharp bone shards that’re sometimes lurking. I love chicken’s feet, a go-to when dim summing.

dim summing

Is this a word now?

Screen Shot 2024-04-10 at 8.56.47 AM.png

The overuse/incorrect use of "W1" and "W2" here on the BST forum...
yeah I get you mean white #1 and white #2
but W1 and W2 are actual different steel grades
maybe I'm over sensitive but I feel like I'm seeing this abuse :D more and more

Throw in A2 for aogami#2 and I right there along with you getting annoyed.

Which is to say, super convenient, easy to eat, and avoids the culinary speed bump that is shelling? In other words, awesome?
This is my typical order when dim summing solo—feet, tripe, shrimp dumplings, pork dumplings.
I prefer the fun of eating chicken's feet unboned, but see the value of boning them out from a culinary perspective—the versatility of the boned meat has a lot of possibilities. FYI, there're lots of videos online on how to debone chicken's feet. The boned variety is not just about speed and convenience.
Congee village is a great restaurant, but not a proper dim sum place…agree with you on you can get just about anything in NYC…
Regarding "proper dim sum place"—I dig dim summing, whether in dim sum specialty joints, or in little hole-in-the-wall Chinese bakeries sitting amongst the old folks eating cut-rate dim sum while sipping tea from styrofoam cups. One of my fave places is a takeout only spot. But, you're right, boned out chicken's feet is a difficult find in NYC Chinese restaurants, gotta look hard.

19149B52-1D96-4856-ABC1-7ECA6FBDA5E1.jpg

Congee village is a great restaurant, but not a proper dim sum place…agree with you on you can get just about anything in NYC…
I loved congee village. I first went there in 2000 and then many times over the next decade I lived there. They have a chicken and mushroom rice in a bamboo pot that I just loved.

I loved congee village. I first went there in 2000 and then many times over the next decade I lived there. They have a chicken and mushroom rice in a bamboo pot that I just loved.
What's the Chinese food scene like in Indianapolis? Last month a friend was in town from Lafayette, IN, he and his wife were thrilled to eat in NYC Chinatown.

This is my typical order when dim summing solo—feet, tripe, shrimp dumplings, pork dumplings.
I prefer the fun of eating chicken's feet unboned, but see the value of boning them out from a culinary perspective—the versatility of the boned meat has a lot of possibilities. FYI, there're lots of videos online on how to debone chicken's feet. The boned variety is not just about speed and convenience.

Regarding "proper dim sum place"—I dig dim summing, whether in dim sum specialty joints, or in little hole-in-the-wall Chinese bakeries sitting amongst the old folks eating cut-rate dim sum while sipping tea from styrofoam cups. One of my fave places is a takeout only spot. But, you're right, boned out chicken's feet is a difficult find in NYC Chinese restaurants, gotta look hard.

View attachment 314387
I can’t do dim sum by myself. I’m too greedy…I need at least 15 things…when the steamed cart comes around, I normally just ask for one each…

I can’t do dim sum by myself. I’m too greedy…I need at least 15 things…when the steamed cart comes around, I normally just ask for one each…
I solo dim sum fairly regularly to fuel up—I'm usually in Chinatown about 3 times a week for grocery shopping, etc.

What's the Chinese food scene like in Indianapolis? Last month a friend was in town from Lafayette, IN, he and his wife were thrilled to eat in NYC Chinatown.
There is a really good authentic dim sum place. Never had anything but dim sum there though. Otherwise it's pretty much just your standard hole in the wall Chinese-American food type places. Some decent places, but nothing to write home about.

Back