Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The overuse/incorrect use of "W1" and "W2" here on the BST forum...
yeah I get you mean white #1 and white #2
but W1 and W2 are actual different steel grades
maybe I'm over sensitive but I feel like I'm seeing this abuse :D more and more
It is even worse when these well meaning but somewhat lazy souls use A2 for Aogami 2 (Blue 2), as A2 is very different from aogami 2.

Might ruffle some feathers here.
"A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife"
Is a popular opinion, i say pffft to that.

Never cut myself to the bone with little pressure from a blunt knife.

I'll sign on to that, it's a myth.
Got way more bloody cuts since I'm into sharp knives.
really dangerous was the time in the beginning, when I was used to dull ones. Nearly cut off my finger tips when I was cutting from a block of butter while holding it in hand and the knive when just through....

I'll sign on to that, it's a myth.
Got way more bloody cuts since I'm into sharp knives.
really dangerous was the time in the beginning, when I was used to dull ones. Nearly cut off my finger tips when I was cutting from a block of butter while holding it in hand and the knive when just through....
I've heard that fairy tale, too.

Funniest thing that ever happened to me was my first encounter with my brand new 270mm Mazaki wa-gyuto. Took it to the boards like a pro, cutting carrots, wanting to impress my gf with my incredible knife skills. *BOOM*, it felt like I had cut off my whole index finger, or even my whole wrist. Just to be on the safe side, I laid down on the floor immediately because I can't see my own blood and was afraid to faint. Had to protect the knife, right? My gf only put a band aid on my finger. Apparently I hadn't cut off my whole finger, not even one element of it. 😁 I admit it, when I changed the band aid the next morning there was hardly any blood on it. :LOL:

Last edited:

Sounds like a skill issue. ;)

I actually don't agree with your disagreement. A sharp knife is safer because it goes where you make it go. A blunt knife is more likely to go in unpredictable directions, slide off product, and requires a lot more force to be used... hence accidents are far more likely to happen.
On top of that, sharp cuts heal much better.

The main challenge is that people who transition from blunt knives often have a lot of bad habbits that will bite them when switch towards sharp knives. But that's not the knife's fault.

Funniest thing that ever happened to me was my first encounter with my brand new 270mm Mazaki wa-gyuto. Took it to the boards like a pro, cutting carrots, wanting to impress my gf with my incredible knife skills. *BOOM*, it felt like I had cut off my whole index finger, or even my whole wrist. Just to be on the safe side, I laid down on the floor immediately because I can't see my own blood and was afraid to faint. Had to protect the knife, right? My gf only put a band aid on my finger. Apparently I hadn't cut off my whole finger, not even one element of it. 😁 I admit it, when I changed the band aid the next morning there was hardly any blood on it. :LOL:
Was gf impressed though? It seems like the mazaki floored you immediately.

1712856078793.gif

Sounds like a skill issue. ;)

I actually don't agree with your disagreement. A sharp knife is safer because it goes where you make it go. A blunt knife is more likely to go in unpredictable directions, slide off product, and requires a lot more force to be used... hence accidents are far more likely to happen.
On top of that, sharp cuts heal much better.

The main challenge is that people who transition from blunt knives often have a lot of bad habbits that will bite them when switch towards sharp knives. But that's not the knife's fault.
Yes i can see your point and agree somewhat.

My knife skills are pretty decent as i worked in a commercial kitchen prepping bulk amount of produce for 5 years when i was younger.

Funnily enough, nearly every time i cut myself it's not while chopping, it's when washing them, wiping dry or cleaning up the blade after a sharpening session.
Usually after a few too many beers! :)

Only to people who think Urban Dictionary is a reference work.
Urban Dictionary is no different than any other dictionary, it just documents more obscure and colloquial words and phrases. Many words that are first catalogued in Urban Dictionary eventually make it to more institutional dictionaries, once the word becomes ubiquitous enough to deserve recognition by said institutions.

Urban Dictionary is no different than any other dictionary, it just documents more obscure and colloquial words and phrases. Many words that are first catalogued in Urban Dictionary eventually make it to more institutional dictionaries, once the word becomes ubiquitous enough to deserve recognition by said institutions.
No; it is not. There is no rigor such as displayed by those who compiled and maintain the Oxford Unabridged.

I will wait the twenty or so years between a term’s being observed and (for the extreme minority that last that long) accepted.

One cannot simply make stuff up
and pretend it has standing.

No; it is not. There is no rigor such as displayed by those who compiled and maintain the Oxford Unabridged.

I will wait the twenty or so years between a term’s being observed and (for the extreme minority that last that long) accepted.

What’s the value of that rigor displayed by Oxford in the context of informal communication?

Is Oxford like ABS MS and Urban Dictionary like TF with all the wabi sabi?

Last edited:

Don’t let good be the enemy of perfect.

What’s the value of that rigor displayed by Oxford in the context of informal communication?
It provides a demarcation between formal and informal language.

College students, for example, are correctly penalized if they submit work containing informal language, with a single exception that I can imagine:

said student is documenting research into emergent language under the aegis of cultural anthropology. That student is still required to write his/her work up using stylistically and syntactically accepted forms.

It provides a demarcation between formal and informal language.

College students, for example, are correctly penalized if they submit work containing informal language, with a single exception that I can imagine:

said student is documenting research into emergent language under the aegis of cultural anthropology. However, that student is still required to write his/her work up using stylistically and syntactically accepted forms.
Sure. I thought we mostly use informal language around here…

while in China I saw plates full of chicken feet and always was happy when the waiter put them on another table...
I know what geese tongue is like, basically a boring chew.
Never had geese tongue, but duck tongue is very popular in Nanjing, actually not bad, doesn’t look like tongue at all, texture is more crispy and dry, not jelly as you’d imagine

Back