Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit that I am listening almost exclusively to orchestral music of the last century.

Whether or not boom-car music has merit or not, I’m happier in its absence.
I go to Carnegie Hall a lot. I have to tell you the average age of the people I see at Carnegie Hall is probably at least 50…I feel pretty young whenever I’m there…

Vaguely on topic.

New undergrad asks an upperclassman “dude, where’s the library at?”

Upperclassman looks down a yard of nose and enunciates in a prickly manner “At Princeton, we do NOT end our sentences in a preposition.”

“All good, man. Tell me where the library’s at, A*****e!?”

You ever run into one of those guys who is so profoundly and diversely stupid that you are, for some time, genuinely uncertain whether they are a genius and you are actually a moron who simply doesn't understand things on their level, or whether they are simply a black hole for synaptic activity?

I've run into three of them in my life.

(And to be clear, this is NOT a dig on anyone here. This is real.)
You know what I call em…. Can’t Understand Normal Thinking.

Look, bro, I’m a math Asian. I know it’s like a duplicate descriptor. I don’t do the speeking reel gud.
I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood. I soon learned that Conjunction Stacking was practically a martial art.

“But then and so if what you say is true … “

welll…… you can only be a SME on sharpness if you are missing an appendage
Does an eye count?

A pirate and a cowboy find themselves sitting next to each other in a place of hospitality.
The cowboy is very curious, and he gets the pirate talking by buying him beers.
“Soooo …”, says the cowboy, how did you end up with the wooden leg?

Aarrr! exclaims the pirate. “I was up in the t’gallant sails, reefin’ em against the squall, when a sheet snapped an’ took me’ leg clean off!”

Whoa, says the cowboy (beer) What about your hand?

AAarrr! I was scraping’ the hull, when a shark comes out of Davy Jones an’ takes m’ hand Clean Off!!

(beer) How about the eye patch?
(quieter) aarrr. I cast m’ weather eye upon some bad clouds — and a seagull took a **** in m’ eye.

Okay, says the cowboy. But that shouldn’t cost you an eye!

“Y’see,” said the pirate in a low voice —
“‘twas m’ first day with the hook!”

Yes i can see your point and agree somewhat.

My knife skills are pretty decent as i worked in a commercial kitchen prepping bulk amount of produce for 5 years when i was younger.

Funnily enough, nearly every time i cut myself it's not while chopping, it's when washing them, wiping dry or cleaning up the blade after a sharpening session.
Usually after a few too many beers! :)
Yeah I can't even remember the last time I cut myself when 'cutting properly'. Pretty much all my cuts are when doing funky stuff like putting them in or taking them out of sayas... or when I insist on cutting a lime while holding another one with the same hand. 🤷‍♂️

I don't know if it makes much of a difference but when I'm tired or my brain isn't there I do somewhat revert to rockchopping. Feels safer and more controlled (to me).

Okay, then here's a perhaps really unpopular opinion to counter that:
A lot of trained cooks can't cut decently at all.

For sure most of them can break stuff down a lot faster than most of us, but whenever I'll watch the 75628th piece of footage on how to prepare something somewhere in the next days I already know I'm going to see someone either rock chopping with a jknife, destroying a piece of meat by sawing through it in 34 strokes, wasting half the product or at the very least ending up with pieces of produce at least double the size of other pieces.

My hometown college football team are the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors.
@panda BTW, lotta Hawaiian will be cheering on the Commanders because of Marcus Mariota. Locals often support teams with island players, ...like Miami Dolphins (Tua).
View attachment 313182
Liked the old rainbow warriors. They dropped the rainbow now just warriors.

Been seeing double rainbows in the valley windy & rainy April.

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Damaspork posting all his meat dishes on what you cooked thread has vegetarian wife. My better half doesn't like leather seats in a car or wearing leather belts because they come from a cow. I love leather belts, wallets you name it.

Read labels on food ingredients some are a mile long with all kinds of laboratory stuff. Even make own salad dressing tastes good not all that crap in it. We are eating more plant base foods.
Fish & eggs will never give up. I eat more eggs than her, they are loaded with nutrients esp. the yolks.

This soy substitute meat use in curry, pasta, stews. If your sauce is good the soy takes on the flavors.

Found a good curry paste few healthy ingredients, the shrimp paste adds umami. I add lots of fresh ginger, garlic, lemongrass, coconut milk, kaffer lime leaves & juice. Lots of fresh vegetables it's all in the sauce. Curry picture yellow paste mild for her. Also have Panang(picture), & red spicy for me.

Make my own trail mix too. Put in it what I like all the dried fruit has no added sugar. The tart dry cherries are good, figs, apricots, mango.

20240406_144004.jpg
20240411_234859.jpg
20240412_000642.jpg
20240412_011040.jpg

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Damaspork posting all his meat dishes on what you cooked thread has vegetarian wife. My better half doesn't like leather seats in a car or wearing leather belts because they come from a cow. I love leather belts, wallets you name it.

Read labels on food ingredients some are a mile long with all kinds of laboratory stuff. Even make own salad dressing tastes good not all that crap in it. We are eating more plant base foods.
Fish & eggs will never give up. I eat more eggs than her, they are loaded with nutrients esp. the yolks.

This soy substitute meat use in curry, pasta, stews. If your sauce is good the soy takes on the flavors.

Found a good curry paste few healthy ingredients, the shrimp paste adds umami. I add lots of fresh ginger, garlic, lemongrass, coconut milk, kaffer lime leaves & juice. Lots of fresh vegetables it's all in the sauce. Curry picture yellow paste mild for her. Also have Panang(picture), & red spicy for me.

Make my own trail mix too. Put in it what I like all the dried fruit has no added sugar. The tart dry cherries are good, figs, apricots, mango.

View attachment 314809View attachment 314808View attachment 314807View attachment 314806
My wife passionately dislikes anything labeled, or considered a ‘meat substitute’—from Impossible, Beyond, Quorn, to seitan, and mock chicken. Tofu, legumes, eggs, dairy, East Asian and Indo-Pakistani influences, are our jive for vegetarian. I’ll occasionally play with ‘fake meats’ as a novelty, or when I need to abstain for cultural/religious reasons.

Since I’m a vegetarian until May 12, trying to eat 30 different plants each week, very challenging, only got to 25.

Rainbow Warrior’s logo is cool. College sports is a bigger deal with my family than pro sports.

Sometimes I’m not sure if every jeans is becoming slim fit or I’m just fat
On god. No cap. All fax, no printer.

As an old soul millennial who spends a lot of time working with Gen Z folk, sometimes I'm torn between thinking the world is doomed and wondering if they've simply evolved and I'm left behind. I hear supremely clever, but sometimes cringe inducing, word play on a regular basis that I could never in my wildest dreams come up with. Compounded by the fact that the restaurants' primary language is Spanglish - hearing cross language puns is pretty hysterical.

Last edited:
Since I do not wish to become recursive, I’ll say I’ve stated my opinion.

I have a belief that language, like visual art, is at its best beautiful.

I would be similarly unhappy if the side of a graffiti-disfigured boxcar were hung in an art museum.
How often do you visit art galleries or museum? Honest question.

Back