Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crazy how we can't say **** but we can say, for instance... actually I can't bring myself to say it. but there are so many horrible nasty things I could say even with this weak ass filter

Words that rhyme with duck for $1000 Alex
IMG_2565.gif

The only higher standard it holds us to is to be more creative in our choice of words. We can't say **** but we can say fornication. We can't say ******** but we can say bovine excrement. We can't say **** but we can say vulva. You can't say goddamn but you can say diety damnation.

Though I have yet to understand how this weird American obsession with censoring certain words makes any sense at all.
Even the 'protecting kids' argument is flawed; usually their knowledge of dual-use words is more up to date than mine.

It's especially weird since these kind of censor lists are incredibly arbitrary and usually full of holes. Then there's the issue that they sometimes trigger on false positives...

crazy how we can't say **** but we can say, for instance... actually I can't bring myself to say it. but there are so many horrible nasty things I could say even with this weak ass filter
It almost encourages you to test the filter. But yes, it is in no way an obstacle in saying naughty things or hurting people's feelings.
Oddly enough some blatantly obvious things don't get blocked at all. Fuck is censored, yet pullthrough sharpeners, glass cutting boards and dishwashing knives is okay?!

I always thought Futtbuck sounded better.

Also...I really don't understand where all the bike / bicycle hate comes from. But maybe my perspective is different, coming from a place where bicycle use is very much normalized, and the road system is set up for it (seperate bike paths on pretty much all the main roads). As someone who used to spend a lot of time on a bicycle, the only road user I detest are bus drivers. Simply because they've almost killed me several times even when I was the one who had right of way.

Also...I really don't understand where all the bike / bicycle hate comes from. But maybe my perspective is different, coming from a place where bicycle use is very much normalized, and the road system is set up for it (seperate bike paths on pretty much all the main roads). As someone who used to spend a lot of time on a bicycle, the only road user I detest are bus drivers. Simply because they've almost killed me several times even when I was the one who had right of way.
That’s basically it. In many places, specifically in Europe the road systems are setup to accommodate bicyclists. Also, people use bicycles as a real mode of transportation and not for just leisure. In the US and specifically Southern California most people use bicycles for exercise or weekend fun activity and the roads are not designed for them also car drivers are not used to seeing them, so not used them. This causes all sorts of issues, more so because it seems people who get on a bike feel like everyone else should all of a sudden accommodate them and the larger the group the more obnoxious.

If the roads were designed better and these people actually rode to work and such thus relieving traffic, lowering pollution, etc that would be one thing. Expecting everyone to accommodate them because they are having fun or exercising is annoying.

It is and will remain a pg rated site.
Right. Because children never ever hear the F-word, least of all from their parents. Wouldn't want the poor little ones to get corrupted around here, especially considering how many underage members we have.

How about you add removal of the profanity filter to the supporting membership benefits? You'd instantly double your revenue…

Right. Because children never ever hear the F-word, least of all from their parents. Wouldn't want the poor little ones to get corrupted around here, especially considering how many underage members we have.

How about you add removal of the profanity filter to the supporting membership benefits? You'd instantly double your revenue…
I love the idea of a membership perk being foul language is unfiltered.

In general, knives should have at most one gaudy element. Gaudy elements inlcude:
  • Mirror polish
  • fancy handle (dyed, exotic burls, mammoth molar, etc)
  • a handle with more than two visual elements
  • hamon
  • Damascus (cladding or pattern welded blade)
  • unusual dimensions or shape
  • custom engraving or stamp
Sometimes, when deployed tastefully, two of the above elements can work together and be acceptable, albeit a bit flash for regular use.

Three or more is just tacky.

In general, knives should have at most one gaudy element. Gaudy elements inlcude:
  • Mirror polish
  • fancy handle (dyed, exotic burls, mammoth molar, etc)
  • a handle with more than two visual elements
  • hamon
  • Damascus (cladding or pattern welded blade)
  • unusual dimensions or shape
  • custom engraving or stamp
Sometimes, when deployed tastefully, two of the above elements can work together and be acceptable, albeit a bit flash for regular use.

Three or more is just tacky.
You can easily fix this by either removing the handle from the knife or by removing the blade from the knife. Either course of action will get you most of the way towards removing these blemishes.

Last edited:
I guarantee you I can cuss with the best of them but why is it such a big deal anymore to have places that respect a certain amount of decorum? It's really not that hard to communicate here without swearing.
I agree, it's not necessary. To me, that does not mean that someone has to take the moral high ground and enforce adherence to some arbitrary standard.

Latest posts

Back