Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heckel7302, I use about the same most time , but I use a Naniwa 400 and a Shapton Pro 2000. This comb takes care of most everything. I use just the Shapton Pro 2000 for quick refreshers. I’ve found the Naniwa 400 can create a very usable edge on its own when properly deburred.

My more plebian two and done stone setup would be Shapton glass/rockstar 500 and 2000. They really get the job done on most things.
Only used that pair for one session doing all my knives, but perfectly happy with the edges, fast setup and cleanup. Will definitely get more rocks for the fun of it, but I think those two will be my restaurant regulars.

Only used that pair for one session doing all my knives, but perfectly happy with the edges, fast setup and cleanup. Will definitely get more rocks for the fun of it, but I think those two will be my restaurant regulars.
Compact size makes them ideal traveling stones. They both fit together in a regular Shapton box. Carrier and stone holder all in one. It’s what I take to the in-laws and to air b bs.

I could definitely see someone whipping with just a Chosera 800. I get way better edges off mine than what a roughly equivalent SG 1k gives me and I've been impressed with its ability to merrily cut SG2/S30V/S35VN which I didn't expect.

I don't really let my knives get dull either so right now I'd say maybe Chosera 800 and a BBW...that's been a really nice 1-2 punch for me lately. A good, fast coticule is a thing of beauty though...that and the 800 would also do me nice.

With that lineup I'm just excepting any thinning or repair would have to he shipped off to a pro. Fine, that's not the fun part anyway.

As far as smoking woods are concerned

Applewood<hickory<maple

I concede I haven't had mesquite in too long to remember what it tastes like.

Applewood<hickory<maple

I really like alder wood if you can find it.

Mesquite is very strong and spicy. Easy to overdo but it can add a bit of seasoning if you mix some pieces in with milder flavored wood.

Applewood<hickory<maple

My one experience with mesquite was not to my liking - way too strong.

Pork loves pecan.

Mesquite is very strong and spicy. Easy to overdo but it can add a bit of seasoning if you mix some pieces in with milder flavored wood.
Mesquite is definitely circumstantial! That said, my first night in Albuquerque I was given a paper plate of mesquite smoked carnitas tacos and a "welcome to town," and they are the standard by which I've benchmarked all carnitas since.

I found it!

20240417_160840[1].jpg

But noted.

I've gone deep down the rabbit hole on smoking woods and emerged under the firm belief that oak+pecan is the premier flavor profile for everything but fish. They're both nice separate but combined something happens greater than the sum of its parts.

I like alder and a fruit wood on fish, completely dependent on species. Mesquite can be fantastic when properly applied, but I don't care for hickory. Tastes like creosote.

Last edited:
I feel like Carbon Knife Company is the least professional knife shop at the moment. Gave them a knife to rehandle and got treated third class citizen. Heard from a local source that Carbon has stopped hand sharpening and is only using the belt grinder. Which is equivalent as giving your knife to the guy at the farmers market and letting them put on a grinder running a couple thousand rpm shaving off at least 3 to 5 mm of steel.

Back